Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Wikiposts

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:07 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: points going up from 67 soon-really??

I have no idea where you've been for past 5 years, but we have new law since 2002, thus "2002 reprint" is for sure well out of date and out of reality.

Originally Posted by Arris
Might have been, I referred to my 'Living & Working in Canada - A Survival Handbook' - book by Janet MacDonald (reprinted 2001).

Perhaps somebody could verify please
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

How can you get a job offer before you have your visa ? isnt this a catch 22 situation ?

Why would anyone not try to get arranged employment anyway? Government is not waiting at the border to hand out jobs to new immigrants. If every new immigrant won't get job pre-arranged then we'll read more stories about PhD's delivering pizzas.

Get a job in Canada and stop worrying about pass mark.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:37 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
How can you get a job offer before you have your visa ? isnt this a catch 22 situation ?

Why would anyone not try to get arranged employment anyway? Government is not waiting at the border to hand out jobs to new immigrants. If every new immigrant won't get job pre-arranged then we'll read more stories about PhD's delivering pizzas.

Get a job in Canada and stop worrying about pass mark.
[/QUOTE]
Get a HRSDC approved job offer enabling a work permit to be issued. You work on that whilst PR Visa application is pending.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Get a HRSDC approved job offer enabling a work permit to be issued. You work on that whilst PR Visa application is pending.[/QUOTE]
sorry, but whats a HRSDC ?
My personal plan was to be able to move over and then find a job at my leisure to some extent anyway.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is not a news - it exists in the law since 2002. And since 2002 pass mark was 75 points and CIC was receiving enough qualified applicants to meet Canadian immigration targets - but then, in September 2003, the previous government in an attempt to get more votes and remain in power among other things reduced pass mark to current, totally absurd 67 points, creating 1.5 million backlog impossible to manage as with 67 points pass mark more people qualify to apply than it was under previous law blamed for 400K backlog.

And this is why for years now I always recommend to everyone - get arranged employment no matter what. And if you have less than 75 points then finding arranged employment is a must.

In our case, because the plan is that my husband intends to build our new house once we have moved there - working for somebody would only get in the way.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:07 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Get a HRSDC approved job offer enabling a work permit to be issued. You work on that whilst PR Visa application is pending.
My personal plan was to be able to move over and then find a job at my leisure to some extent anyway.[/QUOTE]
Then you can wait the 5 - 6 years for SW applications to be processed.

HRSDC = Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

Not being harsh but you can't have your cake and eat it. An applicant can either wait to be processed in the timescales already stated or they can sacrifice and put their neck on the line and try and get a job with a temporary work permit to expedite the process.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tangram
My personal plan was to be able to move over and then find a job at my leisure to some extent anyway.
Then you can wait the 5 - 6 years for SW applications to be processed.

HRSDC = Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

Not being harsh but you can't have your cake and eat it. An applicant can either wait to be processed in the timescales already stated or they can sacrifice and put their neck on the line and try and get a job with a temporary work permit to expedite the process.[/QUOTE]
I dont mind the wait at all, it kind of works in my favour so I can save and get ready for the move, however its the not knowing if a)points go up and b)if they will say yes to my 67 points when they review it.
I think its really unfair if the bar is moved once youve applied, I also believe they should have a quick read through your application on receiving it to see if they think you have any chance of getting in or not.
Its not like they cash your cheque in 48 months.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sorry regarding the format of my replies
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

If they go up quite abit though I think I will need more than just French, maybe a 2 year diploma with new parents living in Canada
Seriously though, I think its pretty unfair to wait for 4 years then be told sorry the points have gone up.
I've been saying this for a long time. I'm sure that when you apply to Australia, the points you got are frozen so you're not waiting for a year and then when it's time to issue the visa they turn round and say "it's gone up three points, so get lost" even though you've waited. I can't believe CIC thinks this is acceptable, especially in the light of the fact that the wait is so long. I'm not a gambling man, but I wouldn't rate my chances of getting a visa if I had to wait five years without the protection of a frozen application. Five years is a LONG time in politics - think of all the policy changes that could happen in five years!

Also, given the outrageous waiting times all over the world I would guess the CIC might show a modicum of intelligence for once and raise the pass mark to 75. This way the numbers knocked out would allow those remaining to be processed with something approaching a professional time frame, but I won't hold my breath.

The only option now is get a job and go PNP, but the difficulties of this route are well documented on these talkboards.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Easier said than done I'm afraid and I'm speaking from experience. My husband has tried to get a job over there without success for a few years. Employers (IT ones) don't seem to want to know. I suspect a lot of it is to do with the fact that we aren't actually there. Another reason maybe that some Brits have landed in Canada, got jobs and decided after 6 months or so they don't like it so they move back to the UK. Understandably some Canadian employers don't want to get their fingers burnt again. A few posters on here have been lucky and have landed jobs before they went to Canada, but it is hard going.

While my husband was trying to get a job in Canada he discovered many Canadian employers are 'blissfully unaware' of the Provincial Nominee Program. Can you believe that. This is a country that says it needs immigrants, yet government agencies fail to communicate with employers and alert them. My husband contacted many big companies and they had no idea!

We used to get fed up of seeing the same IT jobs advertised again and again on careerbeacon.com - employers just trawling to see what they can get. Is there really a job? I don't know? We lost count of the amount of employers that never returned calls or e-mails.

As for the passmark rising again. That rumour has been going around for as long as I've been on these boards. We won't know if and when they'll go up. Like another poster said only the CHC know.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Not quite that simple for some of us. i am a professional futures trader, i trade for my own account as a Limited Company and by all accounts do very well. Canada will be making a fortune out of my tax!! However, since i am self employed it is very complex to get a work permit. It can be done but i would have to commit myself to a financial backer for years (huge backing is needed due to trading contracts worth millions), and since commissions and the profit share backers ask for can vary hugely, committing myself to one particular backer for years is not desirable.

Therefore i have taken my place in the CIC queue, and now it appears i am very close to the front. If a change of points criteria caused me problems i would be forced to go down a route i wouldn't really want to. I can't chose the entrepreneur route, since i have no intention of employing anyone over there and training them up, it is terribly time consuming and also if i show someone how i make my money, it could come full circle on me and result in somelse getting infront of me on trades, reducing my earnings.

I believe my final points tally by my agent was in the high 70's, what is the likelyhood of a 80 point ceiling being put in?? Best to be prepared than sit there like a rabbit in headlights, if something is about to be changed points wise, i would advise people to take french lessons and sit the TEF. If it resulted in an extra 5 points it could result in being able to sleep at night.

Chris
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:52 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus you'd sound pretty sexy too.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

you could just pretend you are french aswell and forget queuing completely!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

afzalulh will become famous soon enoughafzalulh will become famous soon enough

Legally CIC has all the right to to reject your application if pass mark goes above what you have before your visa is to be issued. But it is highly unlikely to happen in cases that are already assessed and received positive selection decision.
And what will happen to people like us with IA only, no medical request yet? Do we have any chance to qualify?

Afzalulh
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, rumors of imminent points increases were going around even before I applied.

I still don't think any minority government is going to be willing to take the hit of arbitrarily disqualifying large numbers of people with a points change. I'd say they're more likely to do a complete revamp of the system, and the 'simplified application' scheme would seem to give them an ideal chance to do that when they get close to the end of the queue under the current system; they can just ask for different documents when they get to the point of processing those applications, for those who aren't immediately disqualified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.