Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:06 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about
Default Points

We are a few points [4] short of the required mark for a skilled worker. Is there any point submitting an application with loads of supporting doucmentation detailing our work experience, funds [plenty of them] burning desire to move to Calgary, etc? What if we submitted our application with a covering letter showing our enrollment in a basic French class would this count for any thing?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points

Originally Posted by Nickola
We are a few points [4] short of the required mark for a skilled worker. Is there any point submitting an application with loads of supporting doucmentation detailing our work experience, funds [plenty of them] burning desire to move to Calgary, etc? What if we submitted our application with a covering letter showing our enrollment in a basic French class would this count for any thing?
Wait till you can get more points for your new French abilities, otherwise its just a very long shot. Take the CIC proscribed test for french too(TEF) , dont leave the points open to interpretation by the CIC officer.

Another source of points is to try and land that elusive canadian job offer.

Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:19 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

I do not want to sound negative, but it sounds like you have little hope for success just applying like that, allthough you may want to get a lawyer to assess If he thinks he can get you approved on discretionary grounds (Andrew has mentioned that opportunity before, however it seems to be thin Ice). You do have a few other options however to get extra points:

Complete the french course
Arranged employment
Additional Education perhaps,

They all take time I guess. Perhaps you can also find an employer who is willing to go for an HRDC approval for a Job, so you can start y getting in on a temp. work permit, however you would have to be pretty lucky or have a very rare skill for that.

Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Hi,

Way back in 2002/2003 I found myself below the points threshold, had 73 and needed 74 (something like that), and the only way that i could gain extra points was:
1. Marry a Canadian.
2. Have a Job Offer.
3. Improve my French.

The first two were impossible to do, so i decided to embark on the rocky road to learn French. By the way i wish to settle in Alberta, and have yet to meet a French speaker there yet. No sooner had i finished my year long course (GCSE), but the points were lowered to the 67 threshold....Typical!!!

My advice would be to only submit your application when you have enough points. the best way to clarify this is to do an online assessment with a law firm and see if they will represent you.
regards
frankieforehead
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

A bit tough though not impossible. You can show that your friends or relatives in Canada for which you get extra points. If married you can show that your wife's relatives in Canada that will be good enough too. That way no need to learn French or find job to gain points .
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I was short on points too. I used a firm in Vancouver who decided they would represent me once they had seen my CV. PM me if you want the details.

Regards,
Patrick.