Pointe-Claire, Quebec

Old May 22nd 2003, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

stats2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pointe-Claire, Quebec

I am considering a position in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. Is Pointe-Claire part of Montreal or is it a suburban town? Is rent expensive in the town itself? Is public transportation available? I am looking for temporary housing for a month or so until I find a suitable accommodation. Any suggestios about furnished rooms available? Also where to look for reasonable priced housing not far from the town itself? One final question guys... How bad the roads get during the snow season? Does one need an SUV? I have a rear wheel drive in the US. Should I get rid of it?

Thanks.
Old May 22nd 2003, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

montreallimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe-Claire, Quebec

Point Claire is a part of the Montreal Island. I presently leave there and it is a very nice neighbourhood, and mostly English. The rents are more reasonable then downtown Montreal area, but you can still go for cheaper if you go outside the island. (North shore or south shore etc.) The roads are not bad at all in the winter, if you have winter tires, and a showel just in case..... Then you are fine with your rear wheel drive car but SUV will be confortable for yourself.
Public transportation is possible, there is bus, which takes around 45 minutes during the rush hours to go to Montreal, and train as well. Downtown is aprox. 15-20 km.
Good luck

QUOTE]Originally posted by stats2000
I am considering a position in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. Is Pointe-Claire part of Montreal or is it a suburban town? Is rent expensive in the town itself? Is public transportation available? I am looking for temporary housing for a month or so until I find a suitable accommodation. Any suggestios about furnished rooms available? Also where to look for reasonable priced housing not far from the town itself? One final question guys... How bad the roads get during the snow season? Does one need an SUV? I have a rear wheel drive in the US. Should I get rid of it?

Thanks. [/QUOTE]
Old May 22nd 2003, 4:23 pm
Nick B.

Roads are well serviced during the winter, a rear wheel drive car will be a
little dodgy on slippery roads (it will fishtail), but an SUV is patently
unnecessary. Your car will be fine.

"stats2000" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering a position in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. Is Pointe-Claire
    > part of Montreal or is it a suburban town? Is rent expensive in the
    > town itself? Is public transportation available? I am looking for
    > temporary housing for a month or so until I find a suitable
    > accommodation. Any suggestios about furnished rooms available? Also
    > where to look for reasonable priced housing not far from the town
    > itself? One final question guys... How bad the roads get during the
    > snow season? Does one need an SUV? I have a rear wheel drive in the US.
    > Should I get rid of it?
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 22nd 2003, 4:37 pm
S B

"Nick B." wrote:
    >
    > Roads are well serviced during the winter, a rear wheel drive car will be a
    > little dodgy on slippery roads (it will fishtail),

That's more a matter of how you drive than whether it's rear or front
wheel drive. It's real easy to make an FWD car fishtail too. I have
had firsthand proof of that :-(

Old May 22nd 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your detailed information. Would you mind giving me a range for a one bedroom or studio apartment? Also are there any motels in the area for a few weeks stay until I get settled?

Thank you.

Originally posted by montreallimbo
Point Claire is a part of the Montreal Island. I presently leave there and it is a very nice neighbourhood, and mostly English. The rents are more reasonable then downtown Montreal area, but you can still go for cheaper if you go outside the island. (North shore or south shore etc.) The roads are not bad at all in the winter, if you have winter tires, and a showel just in case..... Then you are fine with your rear wheel drive car but SUV will be confortable for yourself.
Public transportation is possible, there is bus, which takes around 45 minutes during the rush hours to go to Montreal, and train as well. Downtown is aprox. 15-20 km.
Good luck

QUOTE]Originally posted by stats2000

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]
Old May 22nd 2003, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

Originally posted by stats2000

Thanks.
Old May 22nd 2003, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

montreallimbo is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be able to find an apartment from 400-700 CAD, 1 bedroom to two bedroom places.. Townhouse or a bigger place would be around 1000 CAD. The motels, I think you should be able to find around, not specifically Point-Claire but around Dorval or in Downtown. Dorval is where the airport is so there are some motels and hotels around, within 5 km range of Point-Claire.
But you should also consider the shortage of appartments in montreal area and around.... Many people are having a hard time finding a place, even if you find, there wil be others (at least 20 others) wanting the same place . So the landlords are picky and can do a credit check... If you don't have credit history then you may need to give a deposit.
Old May 22nd 2003, 6:56 pm
Msn

It is part of greater montreal. Rent of 2BR appt is between 800-1000$
pm.
I don't think you need to change your vehicle. Roads are well
maintained inWinter too. Furnished rooms are rare to find. Dollard Des
Ormeaux, Roxboro and Pierrefonds are good for reasonable/low priced
housing.

stats2000 wrote in message news:...
    > I am considering a position in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. Is Pointe-Claire
    > part of Montreal or is it a suburban town? Is rent expensive in the
    > town itself? Is public transportation available? I am looking for
    > temporary housing for a month or so until I find a suitable
    > accommodation. Any suggestios about furnished rooms available? Also
    > where to look for reasonable priced housing not far from the town
    > itself? One final question guys... How bad the roads get during the
    > snow season? Does one need an SUV? I have a rear wheel drive in the US.
    > Should I get rid of it?
    >
    > Thanks.

Old May 22nd 2003, 11:31 pm
Nick B.

It can skid, to be sure... Though shooting out the back end is pretty tricky
to accomplish!

"S B" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick B." wrote:
    > >