Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PNP Timeline - please add your experiences

PNP Timeline - please add your experiences

Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

syeven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PNP Timeline - please add your experiences

Originally Posted by roxye3
Hi Syeven,

Can you tell me more about this "Impplied Status" business? I know that I will probably have to do that but is there documentation i can get for my employer so that they know I am legit?

I mean if I get accepted on the PNP program and submit my app London or Vegreville will they send me a letter stating that I am good to work while on Implied status? How does that all work?

Thanks mate.
Hi Roxy,

It all depends when your initial work permit expires. At the moment Vegreville has a 75 day backlog so for many of us, our permits actually expire before the new one arrives. The only documentation you will have is the letter of PNP confirmation which your employee will also be sent a copy of. All the implied status means is you are legal to stay because you sent the documentation off before your initial visa expired. If you pay using the E Payment method, this will also act as a time stamp. Your employer should be ok with this. If not, call the number on the back of the work permit, have your employee listen to the call on speakerphone and let the operator explain the meaning of Implied Status.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syeven
Hi Roxy,

It all depends when your initial work permit expires. At the moment Vegreville has a 75 day backlog so for many of us, our permits actually expire before the new one arrives. The only documentation you will have is the letter of PNP confirmation which your employee will also be sent a copy of. All the implied status means is you are legal to stay because you sent the documentation off before your initial visa expired. If you pay using the E Payment method, this will also act as a time stamp. Your employer should be ok with this. If not, call the number on the back of the work permit, have your employee listen to the call on speakerphone and let the operator explain the meaning of Implied Status.
Thanks Syeven,

My visa exspies March so I got a fair bit of time yet. As long as I get my stuff to London CHC I will have implied status. That is great news because we all know that Canadian immigration take forever.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to let you know that we got our PPR via email today! Due to postal strikes in the UK we need to send in our passports via courier asap. Our timeline is listed below. I think London is very quick for PNP!

PNP Approved 01/06/07 after 5 weeks
PR sent to London 17/07/07
Medical requests 17/08/07, medicals taken 28/08/07
PPR 12/10/07
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

syeven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mels123
Just to let you know that we got our PPR via email today! Due to postal strikes in the UK we need to send in our passports via courier asap. Our timeline is listed below. I think London is very quick for PNP!

PNP Approved 01/06/07 after 5 weeks
PR sent to London 17/07/07
Medical requests 17/08/07, medicals taken 28/08/07
PPR 12/10/07
Congrats!

The little green stickers really help the applications in London.... I have taken exactly the same route as you so hopefully I shouldn't be too far behind. Well done.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:02 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations mels!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We booked a holiday to Mexico for Nov (pre ski season of course!) ages ago once we knew that we would be staying.

I phoned BC PNP as I've been feeling so uncomfortable about implied status, and apparently Vegreville now has a 90 day wait, so no chnace of our new WP being back before holiday.

So another letter from BC PNP for Canada Boarder Service and off Mr L2S and I went to swing round the flag pole on Friday night, with copies of all the small rainforests that we had sent to everyone.

Took about 30 mins to get through the US side just to be allowed to go back to Canada. We had a piece of paper that actually said "2x flagpole" on it.

But 1.5 hours in the Canada boarder office. Lots of "Miss L2S please come up here"...."please sit down"......"Miss and Mr L2S please come up here".

Then 5 IO's were looking at all our paperwork. Bless Mr L2S who did an amazing job at keeping me calm.

Actually there was nothing seriously wrong, just that the first IO was new and had never heard of BC PNP, so kept asking me for my LMO and HRSDC paperwork.

And then it took 5 IO's to find the NOC code for my job. The senior IO was actually quite flirty with me!

So finally after 1.5 hours we left with our new WP, so no more implied status for us. Flirty IO actually said, "we'll see you in a year for your PR flagpole".

Next stop Service Canada centre on Monday morning for new SIN cards.

Last edited by live to ski; Oct 14th 2007 at 5:43 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
We booked a holiday to Mexico for Nov (pre ski season of course!) ages ago once we knew that we would be staying.

I phoned BC PNP as I've been feeling so uncomfortable about implied status, and apparently Vegreville now has a 90 day wait, so no chnace of our new WP being back before holiday.

So another letter from BC PNP for Canada Boarder Service and off Mr L2S and I went to swing round the flag pole on Friday night, with copies of all the small rainforests that we had sent to everyone.

Took about 30 mins to get through the US side just to be allowed to go back to Canada. We had a piece of paper that actually said "2x flagpole" on it.

But 1.5 hours in the Canada boarder office. Lots of "Miss L2S please come up here"...."please sit down"......"Miss and Mr L2S please come up here".

Then 5 IO's were looking at all our paperwork. Bless Mr L2S who did an amazing job at keeping me calm.

Actually there was nothing seriously wrong, just that the first IO was new and had never heard of BC PNP, so kept asking me for my LMO and HRSDC paperwork.

And then it took 5 IO's to find the NOC code for my job. The senior IO was actually quite flirty with me!

So finally after 1.5 hours we left with our new WP, so no more implied status for us. Flirty IO actually said, "we'll see you in a year for your PR flagpole".

Next stop Service Canada centre on Monday morning for new SIN cards.
So let me ask you.....................once I get my PNP letter I can get my WP at the boarder rather then waiting for London or Buffalo to proces it? Can I actaully just get it all done there?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:56 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations and well done live-to-ski! it is a relief, isn't it?

i guess getting a new wp based on the recommendation lettre at poe is kind of "the thing when everything else fails and you ultimately need your wp because you're travelling"... if i got it right you are theoretically in the same situation as somebody who stands at poe with his/her lmo. you have absolutely no guaranteed right to get your wp - it's at the discretion of the io. and i certainly wouldn't do it without talking to your pnp officer.

roxeye, you have about a half a year left, right? as long as you request your confirmation lettre from pnp as soon as you get nominated and apply for your new wp (if that's possible (???) through london, as long as they still have one of the shortest time lines) i don't see a problem.

how i avoided that problem:
i had booked the flight for my "holiday in europe" at the end of my 18 months on a restricted wp (similar to bunac but employer bound) before i applied for bcpnp. and i knew, that i probably wouldn't get the new wp before leaving. and since i didn't like relying on something i heard that it worked for british citizens but never heard of somebody with my nationality (visa waiver as well but...) who'd done it... in addition being in the gray zone that vegreville might refuse it... i finally put my mind at ease in going down to seattle cic office while my old wp was still valid, applying in person for a wp, and validate that on my way back home.
edit to add that the trip to seattle was just the grey zone with more white in it...

Last edited by lof; Oct 14th 2007 at 10:38 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, had several long talks with BC PNP case officer about doing this. With the wait times for Vegreville now at 90 days we didn't see much other option.

I changed passports in the last few months of our old WP as the old passport expires Jan 08, and although the old one with the WP in it was still valid, had the corners cut off.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving Canada with this old / new passport situation, so couldn't have gone on holiday before all of this.

In hindsight (oh what a wonderful thing) we wouldn't have booked the holiday for Nov until we had the new WP safely in passports, but we thought August to Nov would have been long enough to get new WP.

Also, I work and volunteer p/t in the ski industry, so if we didn't go away in Nov then we would have had to wait until May.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by live to ski
Yes, had several long talks with BC PNP case officer about doing this. With the wait times for Vegreville now at 90 days we didn't see much other option.

I changed passports in the last few months of our old WP as the old passport expires Jan 08, and although the old one with the WP in it was still valid, had the corners cut off.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving Canada with this old / new passport situation, so couldn't have gone on holiday before all of this.

In hindsight (oh what a wonderful thing) we wouldn't have booked the holiday for Nov until we had the new WP safely in passports, but we thought August to Nov would have been long enough to get new WP.

Also, I work and volunteer p/t in the ski industry, so if we didn't go away in Nov then we would have had to wait until May.
Thanks live to ski,

I appriciate your advice. I might go that route but I am hoping I can pull it off in 6 months.

Thank you mate.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:17 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

i actually wonder how many people face this situation. and why cic can't (or doesn't want???) do anything about it. cic vegreville #777 - for the students who apply for a pg wp - has two weeks processing time at the moment. why isn't it possible to have something similar for pnps with already running pr-applications who are already in canada?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lof
i actually wonder how many people face this situation. and why cic can't (or doesn't want???) do anything about it. cic vegreville #777 - for the students who apply for a pg wp - has two weeks processing time at the moment. why isn't it possible to have something similar for pnps with already running pr-applications who are already in canada?
I know! Makes sense to get the PNP's all ready working in Canada porcessed real fast so that we can carry on working, contributing to taxs and the ecconomy.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The post-boy at Vegreville obviously doesn't understand the green stickers!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thankfully for us we'd done our medicals so our passport request was around the corner, we didn't really want to shell out more money for new work permits so emailed CIC London about our problem. I'm glad I did! Our passports have been sent via Fed-ex this morning, hopefully we should have them back by next week...cutting it fine though as our work permits expire a week on Saturday! We'll have to rush down to the US border to land

If we hadn't been so close to getting PR, we would have considered your route L2S! Thanks for that info, hopefully it won't be long before you're flag-poling again!

Mel
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I got into work this morning there was our Medical Request letter from Buffalo sat in my in-tray!!! 4 weeks and 2 days after we sent PR application off.

A few phone calls later, and My L2S and I have appointments for our medicals at 7.40am on Monday morning!!! That's exactly 5 weeks after PR applications sent off.

So that's our new WP, and med requests in 10 days, plus a holiday to the sun in 3 weeks - life is feeling good at the moment!!!

(I'll resist anymore exclaimation marks)

Time to update my timeline.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.