PNP: Skilled Worker - Help?

Old Feb 20th 2015, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

PlacidCasual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP: Skilled Worker - Help?

Hi, I'm going through the process of moving to Canada following a job offer I have had.

The company has basically pointed me in the right direction as to what I need to apply for but I've been messed about with changes to the PNP this year.

Basically, I had all of my paperwork completed ready to go last year - but was waiting for my prospective employer to provide me with their paperwork. (NSNP 200 form)

As a result I didn't send my application off until earlier this month, so had to complete the newer version of the NSNP100 which I believe is more geared to the new "Express Entry" system. According to their website they will still accept my application through the old skilled worker stream so I don't have to apply for the new system (which requires English language tests from all applicants I think??)

But anyway, once I get my nomination - I am to apply for Permanent Residency, which I understand. However, in the meantime I am supposed to be applying for a Temporary Work Permit so that I can move over to Nova Scotia and start working immediately after my provincial nomination.

This part I am unsure of, apparently as of 21/02/15 there are a few new costs associated with Temporary Work Permits yet theirs I can't find any fee payment forms? My employer will be covering the costs - for the main residency application there is a payment form so why not for the temporary work permit?

Also, I am assuming that I need to apply for temporary residency? And that I'm applying for an "Open" work permit not an LMIA exemption.

I'm also assuming that my common-law partner will have no troubles getting an open work permit as we are intending to stay in Canada permanently?

Once I get my nomination, do I send my temporary work permit applications to immigration in Nova Scotia, or should they go to the Canadian VAC in London as we're both British citizens living in the UK presently?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the temporary work permits once application have been sent off?

This has already been a long process, I had my job offer in September last year and falling back from targeting January the company I will be working for want me there to start work on March 30th but I just don't see or understand how that is going to happen?

If anyone could clarify the process and give me a bit of advice I'd really appreciate it. I've wasted my time trying to phone Immigration in Canada who point blank refused to give me any assistance on the phone and just sent me an automated email response which didn't answer any of my questions. The company I work for don't really know anything about the process, I think it might be the first time they've had to recruit skilled workers from overseas so I'm feeling like I'm on my own a bit here and things aren't progressing anywhere near as well as I would have liked.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 2:13 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP: Skilled Worker - Help?

You need to provide NSNP with a job offer letter and they will issue you with a Letter which negates the need for a LIMA. The job offer letter will need to show the job you are being offered, the wage and benefits being offered and the start date. If they are happy that the job matches the occupation you were nominated under and the wages are what they should be, they will issue you with the letter.

You would then show this letter when entering Canada and an work permit will be issued to you at this point. You will need to show proof of Common-Law when you enter but the Stat Dec of Common Law union that you completed as part of your PR application (and accompanying documents) should be enough.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
You need to provide NSNP with a job offer letter and they will issue you with a Letter which negates the need for a LIMA. The job offer letter will need to show the job you are being offered, the wage and benefits being offered and the start date. If they are happy that the job matches the occupation you were nominated under and the wages are what they should be, they will issue you with the letter.

You would then show this letter when entering Canada and an work permit will be issued to you at this point. You will need to show proof of Common-Law when you enter but the Stat Dec of Common Law union that you completed as part of your PR application (and accompanying documents) should be enough.
Thanks for the reply Amy

I've applied to the NSNP with all of the above so will hopefully have my letter of support in the near future.

So I can actually just turn up at the airport with the letter and sort out work permits for both myself and my common-law partner at arrivals?
(Obviously with all documentary evidence as you've mentioned - we'll have copies of both our applications to the NSNP and CIC for PR)

Is there no risk that they could refuse us?

I've read online now that as British Citizens we won't need TRV's either?
On the CIC website this was unclear, it said if you are British and want to visit/travel Canada you wouldn't need a TRV but didn't mention anything about workers on TWP's/ with pending residency applications.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 3:01 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

That is correct - with the letter from NSNP there should not be any issues. There have been cases of people going to the New Brunswick/USA Border with letters from NSNP and them not being issued but this is usually down to an inexperienced officer. A request that a Supervisor review it generally resolves this issue. You won't need TRV's if you are British Citizens.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That is correct - with the letter from NSNP there should not be any issues. There have been cases of people going to the New Brunswick/USA Border with letters from NSNP and them not being issued but this is usually down to an inexperienced officer. A request that a Supervisor review it generally resolves this issue. You won't need TRV's if you are British Citizens.
Brilliant, thank you very much for the info Amy - that's cleared a few things up for us. I was quite concerned about the possibility of a 10 week wait for a TWP from London as that really wouldn't fit with our plans!

I guess having the letter from NSNP won't make us exempt from paying for our TWP's though? So we just fill out the necessary paperwork in the airport and pay and then we're landed and able to work?
Old Feb 20th 2015, 7:50 pm

Sadly it does not! You are correct - you will just pay the fee when you arrive. Border Services will add your info onto their computers and print out the WPs. No forms to complete.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

kellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond repute

We landed in canada with our SINP letter, recieved our visas at immigration at the airport and the fee was $155 for each (myself & hubby) the cost may change but it gives u a rough idea! Hope that helps
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:51 am
PR2
Forum Regular

PR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you go about getting a job offer? sorry to be rude excuse me if I am! me and my are trying to relocate to Canada also....any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again
Old Feb 25th 2015, 8:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PR2
How did you go about getting a job offer? sorry to be rude excuse me if I am! me and my are trying to relocate to Canada also....any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again
Top tip - you can look at a poster's previous posts by clicking on their name and viewing them all.

You've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki I take it? Most people get a job by going over and job hunting in person, but there's loads of other tips in the Wiki on the best way to go about it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PR2
How did you go about getting a job offer?

I attended the "Working In" Expo, in London last September. I didn't make any prior arrangements, just turned up with my trade certificates and spoke to a couple companies. Had an interview whilst I was there and subsequently had an offer of employment in my inbox a couple days later.

I've never even been to Canada!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 5:03 pm
PR2
Forum Regular

PR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys!
I have been to Canada and was contemplating going back over and appying.

I have been in New Zealand for the last 4 years unfortunately they don't have these expos for Canada only Australia!

Thank you once again.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Topcat70 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about if you have children with you. We have been told by one person that we will need a study permit to allow our 13yr old in at the border but someone else said we won't. The CIC website is confusing. Don't want to turn up and get refused � ����
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As per the CIC website, And the table on this page which seems pretty clear (Documents for minor children – Study in Canada), no it's no needed.

That's assuming you or your husband will be on a TWP and getting it at the airport when you arrive, although you've not actually given details of your situation?

If you have any other questions, please do start your own thread, thx.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 27th 2015 at 6:22 am.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

I have received my nomination letter now.
It doesn't mention my spouse at all, but I guess that's normal as she's not being nominated?

I'm probably not going to get out there for at least a month anyway, 2 viewings on my house here this weekend so fingers crossed I can get the ball rolling with selling my house!