PNP Route versus PR Route

Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:06 pm

michellegodfrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP Route versus PR Route

Can anyone identify the pro's & con's of applying via a PNP in NB,PEI, NS or the long haul route via Skilled Worked applying for PR via CIC in London.

Only my application has been in for a year via CIC London & wondering whether I should have gone via the PNP route ?

What are the restrictions on PNP route - medical, jobs, right or permanent residency etc..etc..

It would seem that NB & PEI are relatively an easier route but why ?

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP Route versus PR Route

Originally Posted by michellegodfrey
Can anyone identify the pro's & con's of applying via a PNP in NB,PEI, NS or the long haul route via Skilled Worked applying for PR via CIC in London.

Only my application has been in for a year via CIC London & wondering whether I should have gone via the PNP route ?

What are the restrictions on PNP route - medical, jobs, right or permanent residency etc..etc..

It would seem that NB & PEI are relatively an easier route but why ?

Cheers
Why? because NB and PEI have difficulty in attracting outward investment or catching the eye of your average immigrant. They are relatively economically depresed compared to AB, ON, etc.

As far as your rights go under PNP, they are the same as for any PR, after all PNP is just a shortcut to PR status, not any special status on its own.

You have to live in the province you applied through, at least initially. Its a bit of a grey area for how long though as far as I can see. I really dont know how they would enforce restrictions if you felt you had to move after giving it a fair go in the initial sponsoring province.

Worst case after three years you can apply for citizenship and after its granted you would certainly be free under the charter of rights to move wherever you want.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:31 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

As far as Nova Scotia is concerned:

There are no restrictions that differ from Skilled work application.

You are entitled to full medical coverage from day 1.
You apply for a SIN number and can commence work immediately.

As Iank mentions, the Atlantic provinces are trying to attract immigrants to this region as opposed to the major centres of M / T / V. With the schemes available attraction is certainly improving.

With NS this system is certainly becoming more and more popular. There are in the region of 4 applications a day being filed. I meet with approximately 15-20 families a week who come to the province for their PNP interview and a constant stream of recently landed nominees.

With the choice of Business Class, Skilled worker PNP and community identified there are possibilities for all categories under the NSNP. In addition a family business category will be soon introduced.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:48 pm

Guys - thanks for the excellent info, couple more questions though

Being as I am not in a major hurry (waiting to be made redundant here), what happens if for some reason I was rejected via the PR route, could I then apply via PNP ?

I have the points for PR etc.. but the longer it takes etc..you start to doubt your capabilities etc.. and just seems that the PNP is alot easier (no points just the $5500) or is securing the job the hard bit ?

I was thinking maybe give the PR route another year (as they stated 24 months) & if CIC are falling behind with their dates review the situation

Would you recommend this - or stay put ?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:03 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

The PNP route could take a year or more and you need to employ substancial time, money and resources finding a suitable company that will sponsor you through SW PNP.

Only you really know what you are after but if you've already done a year via SW PR route its probably best to stick with that one.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
Just remember.. its worth the wait!!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:15 pm

Unhappy Re: PNP Route versus PR Route

Originally Posted by BH PNP
The PNP route could take a year or more and you need to employ substancial time, money and resources finding a suitable company that will sponsor you through SW PNP.

Only you really know what you are after but if you've already done a year via SW PR route its probably best to stick with that one.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.
Just remember.. its worth the wait!!

Brian - Thanks for that. My gut tells me to continue the wait as we can pick & choose what work we decide to do but my heart is desperate to get out there before my kids get too big & scared they will say no.
Sometimes I read these posts & think maybe I got it wrong cos I havent got a degree, didnt take the IELTS English tests - I have just sent loads of evidence from work as experience & documents,letters, procedures etc..as proof of english.

I have no doubts on the wait or what we want just worry that life doesnt give you what you want
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

what happens if for some reason I was rejected via the PR route, could I then apply via PNP ?
Even with PNP you still have to meet the Federal requirements for medicals, security / background checks etc, so it depends in large part why your Federal application would be rejected.

If you have the points and document everything correctly then it shouldnt be rejected anyway, but if it is, and its for medical or background reasons, PNP is not going to help any. If its just cos you screwed up you application, then PNPs is an option I suppose.

Hope its worth the wait for you either way Canada is a vastly huge and diverse place, so maybe it would be better at this stage to focus on which corner of it is the right place for you, rather than panic and choose the first place you can get into, unless that place happens to be exactly what you are looking for anyway?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 1st 2006 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:27 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

The most important thing nobody here explained to you yet is that PNP route doesn't give you visa on PNP stage. After you receive PNP selection certificate you must apply to proper visa post for PR visa in PNP nominee class anyway.

So it is not as fast as you may think - it is faster than federal SW route at present, but it is not always the case.

And at PR visa application stage visa post has the discretion to reject your PNP selection certificate too (except Quebec). So, nothing is guaranteed.

If your PR application is in process already for a year then you will not gain anything by switching to PNP route. You will have to withdraw your current application and after obtaining PNP certificate you will have to re-apply for PR visa to London as PNP nominee.

And lastly - Most Provinces have a rather miniscule number of PNP certificates available per year. The Provinces you mentioned have no more than 200 certificates available on annual basis - so, by the time you apply for PNP certificate the quota for current year may already be gone and you'll have to wait for next year's quota.

Don't do it if your case is already in process for a year and you have solid case.

Brian - Thanks for that. My gut tells me to continue the wait as we can pick & choose what work we decide to do but my heart is desperate to get out there before my kids get too big & scared they will say no.
Sometimes I read these posts & think maybe I got it wrong cos I havent got a degree, didnt take the IELTS English tests - I have just sent loads of evidence from work as experience & documents,letters, procedures etc..as proof of english.

I have no doubts on the wait or what we want just worry that life doesnt give you what you want
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Even with PNP you still have to meet the Federal requirements for medicals, security / background checks etc, so it depends in large part why your Federal application would be rejected.

If you have the points and document everything correctly then it shouldnt be rejected anyway, but if it is, and its for medical or background reasons, PNP is not going to help any. If its just cos you screwed up you application, then PNPs is an option I suppose.

Hope its worth the wait for you either way Canada is a vastly huge and diverse place, so maybe it would be better at this stage to focus on which corner of it is the right place for you, rather than panic and choose the first place you can get into, unless that place happens to be exactly what you are looking for anyway?
Ian - Thanks not worried about Meds, Security, Background etc.. just worry that I may have screwed up application maybe feeling in a "less than confident mood today "
We are definite in our plan for Nova Scotia, I suppose somewhere in this process it is normal to panic, feel scared etc.. and start to doubt your abilities.
But thanks for the excellent advice - already comments here have made me feel better.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:36 pm

Smile Re: PNP Route versus PR Route

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
The most important thing nobody here explained to you yet is that PNP route doesn't give you visa on PNP stage. After you receive PNP selection certificate you must apply to proper visa post for PR visa in PNP nominee class anyway.

So it is not as fast as you may think - it is faster than federal SW route at present, but it is not always the case.

And at PR visa application stage visa post has the discretion to reject your PNP selection certificate too (except Quebec). So, nothing is guaranteed.

If your PR application is in process already for a year then you will not gain anything by switching to PNP route. You will have to withdraw your current application and after obtaining PNP certificate you will have to re-apply for PR visa to London as PNP nominee.

And lastly - Most Provinces have a rather miniscule number of PNP certificates available per year. The Provinces you mentioned have no more than 200 certificates available on annual basis - so, by the time you apply for PNP certificate the quota for current year may already be gone and you'll have to wait for next year's quota.

Don't do it if your case is already in process for a year and you have solid case.
Andrew - Thanks very much as always this is THE place to get the best information.