Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PNP minimum stay before relocation

PNP minimum stay before relocation

Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Gary Webb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP minimum stay before relocation

So having applied for express entry I am hoping I will pick up extra points by getting nominated by one of the provincial nominees programmes.

My question is, are there any rules on how long I must stay working in the province that nominated me, before up and leaving for another part of Canada (and likely a different province). I can’t seem to find any rules on this online. I suspect its maybe different in each province and probably about 1 year.

Anyone have any information?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP minimum stay before relocation

Originally Posted by Gary Webb
So having applied for express entry I am hoping I will pick up extra points by getting nominated by one of the provincial nominees programmes.

My question is, are there any rules on how long I must stay working in the province that nominated me, before up and leaving for another part of Canada (and likely a different province). I can’t seem to find any rules on this online. I suspect its maybe different in each province and probably about 1 year.

Anyone have any information?
There's no set rule, and as a PR you have the right to move and live anywhere in Canada. But if it was suspected that you'd never intended to live in the province that nominated you, PR could be revoked for misrepresentation. But if you've made an effort to settle there, and maybe moved on after a year, then that would be fine, it's really just to stop people that get PR and then immediately go elsewhere as they never had any intention of living in the province that they got PR through.

I see that you're looking at Ontario, but as long as you have a genuine intention to live and settle there, then moving on if you found it didn't suit you for some reason after a year would be fine. Iirc, as part of your application you have to show a settlement plan, so that will include things like job research etc, and hopefully you'll have no need to move, but you never know!

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 14th 2016 at 8:57 am.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Gary Webb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's no set rule, and as a PR you have the right to move and live anywhere in Canada. But if it was suspected that you'd never intended to live in the province that nominated you, PR could be revoked for misrepresentation. But if you've made an effort to settle there, and maybe moved on after a year, then that would be fine, it's really just to stop people that get PR and then immediately go elsewhere as they never had any intention of living in the province that they got PR through.

I see that you're looking at Ontario, but as long as you have a genuine intention to live and settle there, then moving on if you found it didn't suit you for some reason after a year would be fine. Iirc, as part of your application you have to show a settlement plan, so that will include things like job research etc, and hopefully you'll have no need to move, but you never know!

HTH.
Thanks for that. That is the information I was looking for.

I am not so confident with PNP for Ontario so was considering other provinces. Although I know ultimately I want to live in Toronto.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary Webb
I am not so confident with PNP for Ontario so was considering other provinces. Although I know ultimately I want to live in Toronto.
Then I wouldn't look at other provinces personally. For most provinces you have to sign a declaration to say you intend to reside there, so for that reason I wouldn't advise you consider anywhere else if you intend to live in Toronto. Not worth risking!

Plus IMO it's not really fair to take the place of somebody that really does want to live there.

HTH.