PNP, LMO and new jobs

Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default PNP, LMO and new jobs

Hi

So we got our nomination letter from AINP which I know means if we don't get PR in time all we need to do is extend TWP online until we get it.

So a couple of questions.

1) Current company are talking about promoting him - is this possible now he has his nomination letter or do they need to do the whole LMO thing again because we haven't got PR yet?

2) He has had a couple of approaches from other companies. Is it possible to go and work for another company in the situation we are in without the whole LMO process again? It's very unlikely he would do this at this stage but it's good to know your options right?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP, LMO and new jobs

1. Id guess because his job is changing he would need to notify CIC as per this from the CIC site
If your job is extended or changes, you must apply to extend or change the conditions of your existing work permit before it expires.
Now what constitutes a change TBH I couldnt tell you but my best guess is if the NOC code changes.
2. Again from the CIC website
If you are offered a different job in Canada, you must apply for a new work permit.
Do not start your new job without a new work permit.
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download and print the application package.

Once you ger PR status then you are free to do any job with any employer.
You could call the CIC call centre 1 888 242 2100 for advice.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ex...tay.asp#change
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

In general, yes, any change in job role, or even in location, requires a new work permit. If the job role or employer changes a new LMO must be obtained - after all, the original LMO is an opinion that Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada could not be found to fill a vacancy for a specific job with a specific employer.

There is an exception for certain occupations in Alberta though, which was announced yesterday.

The Alberta PNP has an expanded pilot program, and can nominate applicants to receive a work permit for the following occupations.

Pipefitter
Welder
Heavy duty equipment mechanic
Ironworker
Millwright and industrial mechanic
Carpenter
Estimator

Even if his occupation is one of those above, this probably would not enable your husband to change his job role to a more senior position, but under this pilot program he could change employers.

On the other hand, since the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker in Canada is entitled to an open work permit, no restrictions of this type apply to any jobs you do.

Last edited by firstchoice; Jul 18th 2012 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geordie Lass
As Former Lancastrian has said above.
My experience when wanting to apply for another job:
I had to wait until I had PR before I could take my new job, even though it was with the same organisation. We could have applied for a change in my TWP, but that was expected to take as long as the PR process, as we were so far down the line to completion. Also there was no guarantee the change in TWP would have been sanctioned.

My belief is that you have to stay with the same company until PR is granted and then you can move around in jobs more freely.

Congrats on the AINP nomination

MJ

Last edited by Mad Jockette; Jul 19th 2012 at 3:40 am. Reason: Congratulations