Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PNP is depression a serious mental illness?

PNP is depression a serious mental illness?

Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice
Default PNP is depression a serious mental illness?

My OH's employer is going through the PNP route with him.

I as his common law wife had to fill out a couple of forms too.

On the section which asked if I had ever suffered from any serious physical or mental illness, I said no. Which in my mind is correct.

I have however suffered from depression in the past, mostly as a teenager(I'm 28 now), but I also had postnatal depression 2 years ago, although that was fairly mild.

Is that considered a serious mental illness? Should I have ticked yes on the form?

Should I change the form? Also will my past depression have a negative effect on the application?

All help is appreciated.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

cousinsandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PNP is depression a serious mental illness?

I would say you have done the right thing. I had PND too and was briefly on prozac, but didn't mention it as I felt it was not an ongoing illness, there had been no medical intervention other than a couple of prescriptions and it did not recur. Is it on your your medical record? If your doctor was involved perhaps you could ask them their opinion?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Originally Posted by cousinsandra
I would say you have done the right thing. I had PND too and was briefly on prozac, but didn't mention it as I felt it was not an ongoing illness, there had been no medical intervention other than a couple of prescriptions and it did not recur. Is it on your your medical record? If your doctor was involved perhaps you could ask them their opinion?
It is on my medical record, I was on antidepressants for it. Although it was only mild.

When I was a teenager it was more severe, that too would show on my medical records.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

cousinsandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you could discuss it with your GP. Mine would actually show on my medical record, but I think that because they are asking from a financial implications point of view, it shouldn't be a problem? Maybe you should address it in a covering letter, and your GP could put in a note too?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cousinsandra
Perhaps you could discuss it with your GP. Mine would actually show on my medical record, but I think that because they are asking from a financial implications point of view, it shouldn't be a problem? Maybe you should address it in a covering letter, and your GP could put in a note too?
Thanks. I've made an appointment to go in and see my medical records. So I can see what extent my depression has been recorded. I'm assuming at some point someone in the application process will get to have a look at my medical records?

Has anyone here or does anyone know someone who has been denied PR due to past depression?

Last edited by Vikty; Jul 21st 2009 at 10:38 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Just a quick mention, some clinics will not allow you to just go in and review your medical file, you have to make a formal request and it can take nearly 4 weeks to get the information you require back - that's the line I was given when I asked for confirmation of dates for a previous operation.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ga1lf
Just a quick mention, some clinics will not allow you to just go in and review your medical file, you have to make a formal request and it can take nearly 4 weeks to get the information you require back - that's the line I was given when I asked for confirmation of dates for a previous operation.
Wow, I'm going to my GP's. I just rang them, they said come in Thursday and they'll have everything ready for me to look at, its going to cost £10.00.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi - have sent you a PM
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Mondkatze is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. I had a depression episode a year ago and still take meds. On the one hand the condition was not "severe"; on the other, I am afraid that if the medical officer decides that it was serious, I will be accused of misrepresentation.
My consultant suggested to check "no", but add a short explanation note that you did have an episode of depression, but never required leave of absence/hospitalization etc;l so you do not think it is 'serious".
She told me that regular immigration officers do not have enough authority to reject your case right upfront because of that; they would wait for medical officers' analysis and then decide.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

There is an issue in your situation which is have had more than one depressive illness.

It's such a shame that there is still a stigma associated with mental health conditions, which are just as common as all the cancers combined. (ie 1 in 3-4 people)