Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please suggest good moving agencies

Please suggest good moving agencies

Old Jun 15th 2001, 6:56 pm
ssss

Hi all,

I'm planning to move my furniture and car from California (BAY AREA), USA to
Toronto,Canada. Can anyone please let me know of any good/bad moving companies
around. I'd really appreciate,if you could please post any good/bad experience with
the mover. Is there anything else I should know about before moving stuff across
the border ?

Thanks.

Old Jun 16th 2001, 2:07 am
Sam Malhotra

I would also like to know from New York to Toronto, anyone please help

Sam

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 16th 2001, 12:44 pm
K. Schwarz

Sam,

I am also moving from NYC to Toronto. Please let me know if you find a moving agency.
When are you planning to move?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 18th 2001, 2:57 pm
Luterin

Check out the "moving" section of realtor.com

We moved from AL to Toronto ourselves - UHaul. Approx. USD.1000 one way, including 1
month free storage & car hitch.

Good Luck -Lute.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 18th 2001, 3:10 pm
Luterin

Check out the "moving" section of realtor.com

We moved from AL to Toronto ourselves - UHaul. Approx. USD.1000 one way, including 1
month free storage & car hitch.

Good Luck -Lute

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 25th 2001, 10:27 am
Tim Taylor

My experience with Pickfords was that they were shite. I recommend you Don't use
them.

They are so big that they have lost that caring touch. For example, the packers we
got we found out after talking with them after a couple of hours, were a couple of
youg guys who had got a weeks work through manpower with Pickfords who had never
packed a thing in their life. They were ok guys I guess, but we had quite a few
breakages and the crew who unpacked even said the packing was done really bad. I
suppose a big company like Pickfords have a big staff turnover and probably resport
to temps in busy periods quite often. I guess we could have been just unlucky though.

Pickfords sell themselves on being the bigest. When we moved again we used a much
smaller company who gave us a really good service. They were helpfull and
proffesional, well trained and cared about their work (Avalon). So biggest isn't
always best I guess.

Tim

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi all,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm planning to move my furniture and car from California (BAY AREA), USA to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Toronto,Canada. Can anyone please let me know of any good/bad moving companies[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > around. I'd really appreciate,if you could please post any good/bad experience[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with the mover. Is there anything else I should know about before moving stuff[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > across the border ?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 26th 2001, 2:11 am
Prasad

Hi,

I am moving from Bay Area to Vancouver. Please can any body let me know their exp. on
the move and what kind of documents are required for the moving company as i am
sending my stuff thru a moving company. How will i get the customs cleared? What
documents are required? thanks,
ps

Old Jun 26th 2001, 4:57 am
Rich Wales

"Prasad" wrote:

> I am moving from Bay Area to Vancouver. Please can anybody let me know their
> exp. on the move and what kind of documents are required for the moving company
> as I am sending my stuff thru a moving company. How will I get the customs
> cleared? What documents are required?

My experience may or may not be applicable, but when my wife and I moved from L.A. to
Kitchener in 1993, we made up a list (in dupli- cate) of everything in the van and
presented it to the Canadian customs people at the airport. We were =not= with the
van; we took a plane and arrived in Canada before the mover did.

The moving company called us (via friends in the area) the day before the van was
going to arrive in Canada. The van driver did not "clear" customs at the border, but
instead continued on to a Canada Customs facility in Guelph, Ontario (about a
three-hour drive past the border, and reasonably near our new home). I believe the
van was "sealed" by Canada Customs at the border -- that is, they put special tags on
the doors so that any attempt to open the cargo portion of the van would be obvious.

I rendezvoused with the van driver at the customs warehouse, with a copy of my
inventory list (previously stamped by customs people when I arrived at the airport).
The customs people at the ware- house checked the papers, approved everything, took
the seals off the van, and allowed us to proceed to our destination. They didn't
bother to inspect anything, but if they had wanted to, they would have done so there
at the warehouse.

Note that I did =not= have to meet the van driver at the border. However, I =did=
need to get to Canada before the driver, so I could rendezvous with him as soon as
he arrived.

Also, the moving company we used was licensed to operate in both the US and Canada;
otherwise, I understand they would have had to unload everything at the customs
warehouse and have it loaded up again into another van operated by a Canadian mover.
Finding a mover licensed for both countries was a nontrivial issue back in 1993, but
I think the enactment of NAFTA has made this task easier.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.