Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Canadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant future
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Originally Posted by suharsha
Hi Friends,

Today i recieved a reply from CIC , they are asking me to submit my IELTS score.

I got following score:

Listening:4.0
Reading:4.0
Writing:3
Speaking:6

Overall band score: 4.5

Please let me know how many points can I get based on the following

I have 18years degree(Masters)
5 years of experience
My spouse is also a Masters(!8 years) degree Holder
My Age: 32
Working in USA on H1B1

Not having any relatives in CANADA, not having work permit in Canada and both me my wife not studied or worked in CANADA.

Thank You Friends,
Suha
Well the score seems too low. Looks like you took it casually or lightly.
A little bit of practice gets you a pretty good /decent score.

www.writefix.com is for writing.
listening is also pretty easy.

Only in Reading section I know people ending up with 6/6.5
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cookie_monster
Jill-D,
this is not the case. having ielts good score does not prove that u r good in english. a lot of people get good score just by "practice practice and practice" rule. on the other hand people who use english comfortably in there daily lives cant get the mark 7, does not mean that they can't survive in canada. its not a fair rule or a least it should be reviewed by the authorities to include some exemptions.
I completed agree with you. I got 8 in my IELTS test , but I know I do not have the level of English requiered for being a good professional in Canada yet. I am still working on improving my English as much as possible.
I got that high score because I practiced, practiced, practiced and more practiced during 3 months!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

deborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why language proficiency is such important factor? Because when it wasn't Canada was allowing a lot of immigrants with great educational credentials (PhD's etc) who due to the language barrier couldn't get any employment in their or even similar field ending up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas and complaining that it is Canada's fault.

Only those born, raised, educated and having work experience in English speaking country don't need IELTS. It is not that "those in UK don't need it" - it is that UK born, bread, educated and experienced applicants who's first language (mother's tongue) is English don't need test.
Does this mean you can give yourself the highest points for the reading speaking and listening. Having being born in the U.K and having english parents?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

deborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by deborah mccarthy
Does this mean you can give yourself the highest points for the reading speaking and listening. Having being born in the U.K and having english parents?
And writing too of course
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:36 am
Finally it happened

pattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura about

And writing too of course
Nope. Writing is different than speaking/listening skills.

I am an international student in Canada and originally from a non-english speaking country. Here I have been helping many students in editing their thesis (most of the thesis previoulsy edited by somebody else). To be honest, most of them are native Canadians .
Old Apr 29th 2005, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

This is absolutely true. I've never seen native speakers make so many language mistakes as here in Canada. And we're talking university students. They even had a special course in English for the freshmen but it got cancelled now, well, well...

As for Deborah, I believe you will get full points if you show them that you're a native speaker. Consult it with Andrew just in case.

Originally Posted by pattu

I am an international student in Canada and originally from a non-english speaking country. Here I have been helping many students in editing their thesis (most of the thesis previoulsy edited by somebody else). To be honest, most of them are native Canadians .
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bartM
This is absolutely true. I've never seen native speakers make so many language mistakes as here in Canada. And we're talking university students. They even had a special course in English for the freshmen but it got cancelled now, well, well...

As for Deborah, I believe you will get full points if you show them that you're a native speaker. Consult it with Andrew just in case.
How do you show them you are a native speaker? Sorry if it is a daft Question
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

reddy_cd is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Patnayak,

Where were you all these days? Any good luck on immigration front? Anyway, you have still time under your belt, so you can wait for another one year or so (kidding).

Coming to IELTS: I don't know why people measure a person's English ability by just looking at their score. I have seen many Chinese students (I am not complaining of their knowledge in subject matters) who can't write a good cove letter for resume. But you would surprise if you know that many of them scored more than 600 in TOEFL.

Reddy

Originally Posted by pattu

Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough

Try searching the forum (I think I saw some postings about it not so long ago). Otherwise ask Andrew/PMM/Jim. I would think that you should simply write a letter of explanation and add education certificates (which you have to do anyway). Good luck!

How do you show them you are a native speaker? Sorry if it is a daft Question
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bartM
Try searching the forum (I think I saw some postings about it not so long ago). Otherwise ask Andrew/PMM/Jim. I would think that you should simply write a letter of explanation and add education certificates (which you have to do anyway). Good luck!
Thanks for getting back to me and for the advise.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:30 am
Just Joined

ciril99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed!

Hello friends,

I'm new to this forum. My application for Canadian immigration was applied in Jan, 2005. I was recently notified by Buffalo Visa office to provide IELTS results to continue my application further and they have given 120 days time. Kindly anyone help me to direct where I can attend preparatory classes or how to gather information to prepare for IELTS.

I really appreciate your kind help.

Thanks,
Ciril
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:29 am
Just Joined

ear00jk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Canadaproject
Well the score seems too low. Looks like you took it casually or lightly.
A little bit of practice gets you a pretty good /decent score.

www.writefix.com is for writing.
listening is also pretty easy.

Only in Reading section I know people ending up with 6/6.5

Based on my experience I do agree with the responses that IELTS do need technique and practice besides having a sound command over English. I repeated my IELTS after four years for immigration (without any prepration) and significantly improved my score in all sections except listening ( dropped to 5.5 from 7). I would encourage the applicant to reapply for the test with sound prepration.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

anona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why language proficiency is such important factor? Because when it wasn't Canada was allowing a lot of immigrants with great educational credentials (PhD's etc) who due to the language barrier couldn't get any employment in their or even similar field ending up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas and complaining that it is Canada's fault.

Only those born, raised, educated and having work experience in English speaking country don't need IELTS. It is not that "those in UK don't need it" - it is that UK born, bread, educated and experienced applicants who's first language (mother's tongue) is English don't need test.

Aside from the point raised by Mr. Miller (flipping burgers and all), some immigrants (esp. family sponsored who didn't submit IELTS test results) CAN'T even speak basic English that they need to use in their day-to-day living. Hence, disaster or accidents happen. Take the case of my relative in Vancouver, B.C., he was involved in a car accident (totally not his fault; his car was "written off"/paid off), the other party in the accident can't speak even basic English; can't even interpret or explain the basic "rules of the road" that he should be the one who should yield. (By the way, my relative is in "the right of way" cause he's going forward in an intersection while the other car turned "left" in an "only lane" without signalling). It's like my cousin is talking (or even yelling) to a "deaf-mute" because the other party does nothing but "signal" and speak some other language...Although this case of my relative is only 1/1000000, still, language barrier is a huge factor that the CIC is taking into consideration.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:50 am
Just Joined

ciril99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed!

Please need your help friends!

I'm new to this forum. My application for Canadian immigration was applied in Jan, 2005. I was recently notified by Buffalo Visa office to provide IELTS results to continue my application further and they have given 120 days time. Kindly anyone help me to direct where I can attend preparatory classes or how to gather information to prepare for IELTS.

I really appreciate your kind help.

Thanks,
Ciril