Personal History - how far back?

Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:10 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Personal History - how far back?

I know its a topic of great debate on here but we're in a conundrum that I'm sure many have been in. The 10 years vs back to when you're 18.

Hubby is 43 ... so that would be having to go back 25 years! Who really remembers that much detail?! Additionally there are periods of unemployment, and temp work from his 20s that there's no way he can remember the details of and have long ago disappeared from his cv.

Should we just go back as far as we can - is it acceptable to get vaguer the further back you go? EG: can he put xdate - xdate temp work ... rather than trying to gather the specific information?

Honestly, what if he was in his 50s or 60s?? Just trying to get the pack so that no questions or requests can be made of us. We're pretty cut/dry anyway (married with a kid, been together 6 years) but just don't want to leave much wiggle room for a bureaucrat on a bad day.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:43 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal History - how far back?

It's supposed to be 10 years but more than enough people have been told to go back to 18.

I'd go back to 18 and then you know they won't ask for more information.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
It's supposed to be 10 years but more than enough people have been told to go back to 18.

I'd go back to 18 and then you know they won't ask for more information.
+1.

So many people are asked to provide since 18... Provide detail of the last 10 years and make sure it's perfect, and do a best effort for the rest of it - the more accurate the better.

(You might not remember specific dates, but if you put months and years it's close enough.)
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:33 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Will have to supress smiles at hubbie's expletives when he hears that khkhkkh
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband did the same, he was 31 when we applied, so had 13 years to figure out... you'd be surprised by how easy it is though. Some details you may not have, like we didn't have every phone number and such, but it was easier than we thought to do. As I said, absolutely get the past 10 years right, and make a best effort at the rest of it.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 3:09 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

last 10 is relatively easy as he's only had 3 jobs in it ... it's the temp/unemployment bit that's going to be challenging I reckon
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We did 10 years and weren't asked for more (we're in our 40s).

Others did 10 and were asked for "since 18". I guess it depends on how you are with risk as it seems to depend on how the officer dealing with your case interprets it.