Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PASSPORTS "LOST IN POST"!!! Please: advice needed

PASSPORTS "LOST IN POST"!!! Please: advice needed

Old May 8th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice
Default PASSPORTS "LOST IN POST"!!! Please: advice needed

I hope somebody can give us some advice with this one:

We came over several weeks ago on a planned visit. Meanwhile, we'd had our med and PPR requests. Because we knew we'd have our PR, we changed our plans to stay permanently in Alberta instead of just staying for a visit, so once we got here, we forwarded our passports to CHC London via Fedex (including a Fedex return envelope so we'd get them back next day).

For some reason the Fedex office we used told us it would have to return to their address and they would notify us when it arrived so we could collect the package.
We tracked the package and it was delivered to CHC - no problem. We noticed our PR application status had changed to 'Decision made'
We tried to track the return but kept getting the 'no trace' message online. We contacted the Fedex office AND the online and toll-free number - no trace.
We contacted CHC London who advised (in their usual tardy fashion) they'd returned our passports via 'international signed-for' on 27th April - to the Fedex office.
The Fedex office claim nothing has been received and 'in any case they don't accept mail for anybody who isn't a customer already'.

We again emailed CHC London asking them to confirm whether the Fedex envelope had been used but got an identical reply to the first one - even though we explained the situation.

Does anybody out there have an idea, phone number, ANYTHING to help get this sorted? We can't 'land' or go back to the UK, can't take up the jobs we've just been offered, can't get Alberta drivers' licences or confirm car insurance - we're stuck in the middle!!
Old May 8th 2009, 3:03 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: PASSPORTS "LOST IN POST"!!! Please: advice needed

If CHC London told you the truth - International Signed For is a Royal Mail service, and they've not used your Fedex return envelope. I don't see why they would not use it though and still return your passports to a Fedex office...

The crappy thing about Intl Signed For is the sender is going to have to make any complaint if your documents really have gone missing - but CHC will definitely have a tracking number and (eventually) Canada Post will apply their own tracking code to the parcel which then allows you to use the UK code to track it in Canada's borders.

I'd bug CHC L for that code as a first step.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

Thanks for the reply windward - I sent a message to CHC yesterday asking them to confirm their action re the Fedex envelope and to advise that the Fedex office would most certainly have returned our package to the London CHC office. I also asked that they EITHER use the Fedex envelope OR return the passports to our address on file (here in Canada).

Hopefully somebody with more than one brain cell will get the email and act on it!

Katie
Old May 8th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

do not panic they wont be lost chc will not return by courier
they will use there own envelope if you just included a courier one by mistake

if they were posted april 27 th give it a day or 2 more

mine took 9 days from chc to canada sometimes can take longer
Old May 8th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

several posts on here from folk who have done the same as you and they return you courier envy unsused
Old May 8th 2009, 9:00 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
several posts on here from folk who have done the same as you and they return you courier envy unsused
Thats correct - CHC won't use the pre-paid fedex package you included. What address did you put on the passport return form - that is where they'll have been sent.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rob and chumley for the replies. My problem is that the Fedex office insisted that their address be the one on the return envelope but when I checked to see if the package had been returned to the them, the Fedex office denied having received it and also said that they don't accept mail for anyone who's not a customer !

Can't get any sense from anyone at the minute!
it's a real headache...

Katie