Passport Request Question

Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road
Default Passport Request Question

We have finally had our passport requests after having had our medicals in Scotland in November. We have been in Canada since the end of November on Work Permits and have written to change our address two or three times but our passport requests were sent to our last address in the UK. My question is, do we still have to send our passports back to London? Our work permits are also attached to our passports and we often need them for ID etc. The letter from CHC in London presumes we are still in the UK and says that as the passports can take up to 30 days to come back we should make no plans to travel.

I thought that once you were in Canada the PR Visas were issued here. I'm sure the answer to this is on the forum somewhere but I've been looking for ages. Also what is the reason for going over the US border and back into Canada if our passports and photos have to be sent to London for visas?

Hope I've not confused you all as much as I am.

Higgy
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:20 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Request Question

Originally Posted by Higgy
We have finally had our passport requests after having had our medicals in Scotland in November. We have been in Canada since the end of November on Work Permits and have written to change our address two or three times but our passport requests were sent to our last address in the UK. My question is, do we still have to send our passports back to London? Our work permits are also attached to our passports and we often need them for ID etc. The letter from CHC in London presumes we are still in the UK and says that as the passports can take up to 30 days to come back we should make no plans to travel.

I thought that once you were in Canada the PR Visas were issued here. I'm sure the answer to this is on the forum somewhere but I've been looking for ages. Also what is the reason for going over the US border and back into Canada if our passports and photos have to be sent to London for visas?

Hope I've not confused you all as much as I am.

Higgy
The passports will have to fo back to London for issuance of your visas. Just keep a copy of your passport ID pages and work permits and send the rest off
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your advice Jim. We'll have to wait until our son, who is still at college in Scotland, sends us over some photos as the passports all have to be sent away together. I remembered to bring his passport with me just in case but forgot to bring photos. I take it we then have to cross over the border and back, whereas he will just have to fly in at the airport? (Once I return his passport to him)
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:00 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Higgy
Thanks for your advice Jim. We'll have to wait until our son, who is still at college in Scotland, sends us over some photos as the passports all have to be sent away together. I remembered to bring his passport with me just in case but forgot to bring photos. I take it we then have to cross over the border and back, whereas he will just have to fly in at the airport? (Once I return his passport to him)
Yes you will have to go to the nearest border crossing to land. You cross into the USA, take the back to Canada turn off and report for landing once you get to the Canadian side.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Yes you will have to go to the nearest border crossing to land. You cross into the USA, take the back to Canada turn off and report for landing once you get to the Canadian side.
Some border crossings don't allow this and insist you enter the U.S. or get a denial of admission from the Americans.

Having a denial on your record (for any reason) is not a good idea, so if this policy is in operation, then you need to be prepared to cross into the U.S. before you return. Not normally a problem if you're eligible for the visa waiver, make sure you have USD6 per person in cash on hand.