passport expiry/visa help

Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:50 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough
Default passport expiry/visa help

what's the best way to proceed? we got our passport requests today
sorry if this gets longwinded
we want to land Oct 10-17 (school holidays).
that then gives us time to come back and settle things here with a view to moving finally in april/may 09

meds were in april 08. daughter's passport expires april 09 (ours have a few years to go).
do we:-
a) renew her passport asap at a passport office then send off our passports to CHC london.
b)renew her passport asap at a passport office then hand in passports at CHC london on a thursday.

the above 2 options raise concerns over timing. will the passports be back in time to travel oct 10th?

c) send existing passports to london, carry out landing in oct then once we return home renew daughters passport - but how can you renew it with the visa in the existing one (this would apply to hubbys whose passport expires in 2010)?

does that make sense?!??!

is there something i've missed? any other options?

cheers!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:54 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport expiry/visa help

I don't understand your problem. You visas are once use only , they don't have to be valid for any length of time after you land.

your visas are valid for one year after your meds or for the duration of your passport. As long as you land before your visa expires then there is no problem. Your visa is cancelled as soon as you land , you don't need it again.

As I read your situation all of your visas will be valid until april 09 and you plan to land in october 08 .

Am I missing something?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:07 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

Hi Zoe,

thanks for replying, I guess I'm just not sure what happens when the passports expire after we've landed.

what's the process for returning to canada after we've come back to the uk to settle up? how do we re-enter canada?
does that make sense?
if we renew our daughters passport how do we show she's got PR? the PR card that's issued to her?

m
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:08 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Zoe - send current passports to London now. Fly over in October and land. Get PR cards mailed to you (you'll need to use a Canadian address and get someone to forward them to you in the UK). Then apply for new passport for your daughter when back in the UK. Move over permenantly in May 2009. Job done!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:10 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zoe,

thanks for replying, I guess I'm just not sure what happens when the passports expire after we've landed.

what's the process for returning to canada after we've come back to the uk to settle up? how do we re-enter canada?
does that make sense?
if we renew our daughters passport how do we show she's got PR? the PR card that's issued to her?

m
Yes - you get issued with a PR card after landing. That and a valid passport are needed to get back into Canada. (It doesn't have to be the same passport as the one you landed with)
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If the worse comes to the worse and you can't get your PR card mailed to you, then I believe you can apply for a one time entry visa for Canada. It would be easy for you to prove you are entitled to it as a PR , as you will have your old visa.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:19 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

Thank you all!!!!

settled... we're sending passports off on wed... going to get the photos done tomorrow.

booking flights with zoom (free child place still on offer) asap!!

ohhh.. i'm sooooo excited
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:08 am
Professional Cat herder

congrats