Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Passed citizenship test. What’s next?

Passed citizenship test. What’s next?

Old May 21st 2022, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

SnowyNinja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passed citizenship test. What’s next?

We have PR status and have just passed our citizenship test.

The test was online. I assume the oath will be via zoom, rather than in person.

for those of you have taken the oath in recent times….

how long did you have to wait to be notified when the ceremony would be?

how much advance notice did you get?

Once you had taken the oath, how long did you wait to get your certificate of citizenship?

can we fly to UK after that and enter Canada with the certificate or do we have to get a Canadian passport first?

Thank you for any insight!
Old May 21st 2022, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed citizenship test. What’s next?

You will need a passport to enter any country
Old May 21st 2022, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

SnowyNinja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glendem4
You will need a passport to enter any country

I have my UK passport to enter UK,
it’s the return to Canada I was querying.

normally we’d use the PR card, but my understanding is you surrender that at the oath ceremony.

sorry, I should have said we have a UK passport. I assumed we all do on this site. Apologies
Old May 21st 2022, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed citizenship test. What’s next

Originally Posted by SnowyNinja
We have PR status and have just passed our citizenship test.

The test was online. I assume the oath will be via zoom, rather than in person.

for those of you have taken the oath in recent times….

how long did you have to wait to be notified when the ceremony would be?

how much advance notice did you get?

Once you had taken the oath, how long did you wait to get your certificate of citizenship?

can we fly to UK after that and enter Canada with the certificate or do we have to get a Canadian passport first?

Thank you for any insight!
Before being invited to oath ceremony, you will need to wait for all other items in the tracker to change to complete. This usually takes 2-3 months. Once this is done, it’s typically 2-3 months to be invited to a ceremony though I have seen people waiting 6+ months. Normally get around 3 weeks notice. It will likely be over zoom. Certificate comes around 2 weeks after ceremony but you can ask for it to be expedited if you have essential travel plans. You need a passport to enter Canada.
Old May 21st 2022, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SnowyNinja
I have my UK passport to enter UK,
it’s the return to Canada I was querying.

normally we’d use the PR card, but my understanding is you surrender that at the oath ceremony.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1167&top=16

HTH.
Old May 23rd 2022, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I am only waiting on my citizenship ceremony. I passed the test on January 17th of 2022 and everything else was switched over to 'completed' on my citizenship tracker (except ceremony obviously) on Feb. 9th of 2022. Heard nothing since.
Old Jun 18th 2022, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on passing the test!

May I ask a question regarding the test and specifically the politics aspect when it comes to preparing for it. Are you tested on the provincial set up of where you reside? In the sense, are you prompted to enter where you reside, for example B.C., and then are asked questions relating B.C. (individual politicians, parties, etc.) as well as federal level politics? Or will you need to know the names of the players in each province too?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2022, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Congratulations on passing the test!

May I ask a question regarding the test and specifically the politics aspect when it comes to preparing for it. Are you tested on the provincial set up of where you reside? In the sense, are you prompted to enter where you reside, for example B.C., and then are asked questions relating B.C. (individual politicians, parties, etc.) as well as federal level politics? Or will you need to know the names of the players in each province too?

Many thanks.
Honestly, I can't quite recall exactly what I had to enter but I do live in Ontario and I did get Qs on Ontario provincial politics and also federally obviously. I got nothing on the politics of other provinces so that may answer your question.
Old Jun 20th 2022, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bramallblade
Honestly, I can't quite recall exactly what I had to enter but I do live in Ontario and I did get Qs on Ontario provincial politics and also federally obviously. I got nothing on the politics of other provinces so that may answer your question.
Thank you bramallblade. Very helpful information and great to know.