Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Parnell's questions on business visas

Parnell's questions on business visas

Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parnell's questions on business visas

Originally Posted by Parnell
I think you are confusing tax accounting with business accounting.
I am aware of cash (often called tax accounting) and accruals, what's 'business accounting'?

http://taxfoundation.org/article/thr...tors-need-know

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 11th 2016 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the self employed is relevant to myself. With proviso I have not looked into the details of what it entails.
Given what I have been told offline it appears a very simple process, whether its 6 or 12 weeks? The key things apparently in my favor are the points I mentioned in first post. Employment of over 10 people being key.
There does appear a lot of consistency across most countries for immigration linked to inward investment. I am just looking for the professional to handle the administration side of it.
I agree that the Self Employed route isn't applicable to you, but wherever you're getting your info from 'offline' is not the place to be learning about your visa process! The 'snippets you have heard over the past week' aren't relevant to any visa route, so you need to do a bit more research.

Your options seem to be the Federal Start Up Program, or the Ontario PNP that you've been given the link to above.

HTH.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The tax office does not determine internal expenditure policy, it just determines whether the expense is allowable for deduction for tax purposes.
It does, and if it is not an allowable expense it gets added back to income.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the self employed is relevant to myself. With proviso I have not looked into the details of what it entails.Given what I have been told offline it appears a very simple process, whether its 6 or 12 weeks? The key things apparently in my favor are the points I mentioned in first post. Employment of over 10 people being key.There does appear a lot of consistency across most countries for immigration linked to inward investment. I am just looking for the professional to handle the administration side of it.
I haven't heard of a visa route that can be successfully concluded and visa issued in 6 - 12 weeks? Do you know what the visa is called? It might be an option for others to consider.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I *think* this is the latest info on "business" immigration to Ontario; it doesn't seem to quite match the criteria you mention (but I haven't read it in detail) Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Comparison between Business Streams
I think you're right. This seems to be the route proposed.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I haven't heard of a visa route that can be successfully concluded and visa issued in 6 - 12 weeks? Do you know what the visa is called? It might be an option for others to consider.
I'm assuming (hoping) that the OP mistyped that processing time. Even substituting 'months' for 'weeks' would be hopelessly over optimistic for a business visa.

Unless we're misunderstanding completely?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming (hoping) that the OP mistyped that processing time. Even substituting 'months' for 'weeks' would be hopelessly over optimistic for a business visa. Unless we're misunderstanding completely?
I am trying to go through my history today and yesterday where I read it.
It was about CIC and getting approval letter from London (which quoted 6 to 8 weeks) which needed to be presented at the custom border.
TFWP program? on work permit for highly skilled individuals, so applicable only in cases where the employer (being myself, so not for all people) is bringing you in.
I know this sound vague so will come back after I have found what I was reading.

Last edited by Parnell; Jan 12th 2016 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to go through my history today and yesterday where I read it.
It was about CIC and getting approval letter from London (which quoted 6 to 8 weeks) which needed to be presented at the custom border.
TFWP program? on work permit for highly skilled individuals, so applicable only in cases where the employer (being myself, so not for all people) is bringing you in.
I know this sound vague so will come back after I have found what I was reading.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like priority processing for LMIA (which is never guaranteed btw) for TFW. So, as you say, not at all relevant to your case as a potential business visa applicant (IIRC).
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
When I emigrated and applied for a TWP (issued for 3 years) to be self-employed, the processing and issuance of the visa took 2 hours via flag-polling an an interview at the border. This wasn't a route to PR though.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H
When I emigrated and applied for a TWP (issued for 3 years) to be self-employed, the processing and issuance of the visa took 2 hours via flag-polling an an interview at the border. This wasn't a route to PR though.
And times/programmes & their requirements/processing times have changed a lot .

I got here as a QSW PR in just under a year from application to landing (including a 4 month delay where A.N. Other Country & a British Embassy which shall not be named tried to work out how to take & read my fingerprints, & Yet An Other Country & the UK wrestled with jurisdiction over my children...)

All very Off Topic however, to the OP's questions/situation.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

And times/programmes & their requirements/processing times have changed a lot .
I don't believe the process I undertook has changed. It's not a 'programme' as such, just a little used method of gaining a TWP.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:44 pm

I don't believe the process I undertook has changed. It's not a 'programme' as such, just a little used method of gaining a TWP.
Not without risks though?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sincerely interested/curious, can you give more details? It might help the OP, & I had no idea that one could come in as a TFW as self-employed.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure if R I C H came in under the old Federal Immigrant Investor or Entrepreneurs programme which has now been terminated.
There are still options for sell employed, investors or start up visas as found in these links but these are all towards gaining PR status.

Determine your eligibility – Self-employed
Determine your eligibility – Start-up Visa
Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:40 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im not sure if R I C H came in under the old Federal Immigrant Investor or Entrepreneurs programme which has now been terminated.
There are still options for sell employed, investors or start up visas as found in these links but these are all towards gaining PR status.

Determine your eligibility – Self-employed
Determine your eligibility – Start-up Visa
Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program
I came in under neither of those. I applied for a TWP to be self employed. As simple as that. I presented a business plan at the border detailing my investment, the business proposal, employees and contractors required and 5yrs of sales/marketing ambitions. It also included reference from RBC concerning financial standing, the local mayor and chamber of commerce illustrating their support.

I didn't have to meet any specific staffing goals, illustrate any minimum investment level, or have any provincial or federal nomination/approval.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.