Parents Coming to Canada

Old Dec 8th 2014, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents Coming to Canada

So my parents have expressed an interest that, if I were to secure PR, they would strongly consider joining me in Canada.

So I've looked up the two options, and it looks as though I can either sponsor them, or they can use the Parent/Grandparent Super Visa.

Now, as I understand it, the Parent/Grandparent Super Visa is a multi-entry visa valid for 10 years, with a maximum stay of 2 years per visit.

So, my first question, how much time needs to elapse between visits? Could they come for two years, flagpole, and re-enter for another two years, and so-on-and-so-forth? My guess is no, but I wonder what the restrictions are with this visa.

Secondly, I've looked at the processing times for sponsoring parents, and the assessment (via London) for me would be 41 months, and the assessment of my parents would be 68 months... have I read that right?! It takes 9 years?! Then on top of that, I have to prove financial security for 2 years, so that essentially takes the waiting time to 11 years. Bearing in mind I will first be entering Canada on an IEC and applying for PNP, from the time I enter Canada, to the time my parents could arrive as residents would be 12 years... Is that right?! That seems excessively long.

Lastly - If my parents are required, and don't wish to work, and have their own funds to support themselves, would that change anything?
Old Dec 8th 2014, 2:42 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents Coming to Canada

I believe this visa does not give them the right to work in Canada.

Why not focus on getting your PR first as from my understanding they only have so many of these visas each year and like the IEC they go like hot cakes and also as we know from the EE coming in - things change
Old Dec 8th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I believe this visa does not give them the right to work in Canada.

Why not focus on getting your PR first as from my understanding they only have so many of these visas each year and like the IEC they go like hot cakes and also as we know from the EE coming in - things change
Yeah, I assumed they wouldn't be able to work. But as they are retired, I'm not sure they'd want to work, anyway.

And sure - I'm just thinking long term because I've asked as many questions as I can about PNP, EE and IEC that I'm now bored and need to find another way to hide my frustration at having to wait til January haha
Old Dec 8th 2014, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Secondly, I've looked at the processing times for sponsoring parents, and the assessment (via London) for me would be 41 months, and the assessment of my parents would be 68 months... have I read that right?! It takes 9 years?! Then on top of that, I have to prove financial security for 2 years, so that essentially takes the waiting time to 11 years. Bearing in mind I will first be entering Canada on an IEC and applying for PNP, from the time I enter Canada, to the time my parents could arrive as residents would be 12 years... Is that right?! That seems excessively long.
Pretty much, although you mention proving 'financial security for 2 years', but it's actually 3 I'm afraid! Keep in mind though that processing times will change all the time, and hopefully with the new limits on parental sponsorship applications that timeline should have sped up considerably by the time you are eligible to sponsor them. The trouble is that parents and grandparents aren't usually going to contribute much to Canada's economy (and in fact, will usually take from it, in the form of healthcare etc), so they're just not a priority for CIC unlike foreign workers etc.

But hopefully it will get quicker for you, best of luck.

HTH.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:19 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Yeah, I assumed they wouldn't be able to work. But as they are retired, I'm not sure they'd want to work, anyway.
Actually, if you manage to sponsor them, they could work if they so desire. They become permanent residents on arrival and can do whatever they want except for voting and a few other things reserved for citizens. They would also have access to the health system, which might be the reason this whole process drags for so long - CIC trying to limit the number of elderly new residents coming to Canada to receive free healthcare.

There is another option to bring parents in, called the Supervisa. This one is temporary (entry is usually granted for 2 years at a time) and does not give the right to work or access to healthcare, but could have your parents here in a matter of months.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
There is another option to bring parents in, called the Supervisa. This one is temporary (entry is usually granted for 2 years at a time) and does not give the right to work or access to healthcare, but could have your parents here in a matter of months.
Thanks - I did mention that in the original post, though.

Do you have any experience with that particular visa?

Do you know how much time needs to elapse between visits? Could they come for two years, flagpole, and re-enter for another two years, and so-on-and-so-forth? My guess is no, but I wonder what the restrictions are with this visa.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I did mention that in the original post, though.

Do you have any experience with that particular visa?

Do you know how much time needs to elapse between visits? Could they come for two years, flagpole, and re-enter for another two years, and so-on-and-so-forth? My guess is no, but I wonder what the restrictions are with this visa.
They can certainly try!

It's supposed to just be a visit visa, not a visa to live in Canada, but folks on the forum have managed to have multiple stays. If your parents have ties to the UK (a house there, etc), enough funds to sustain themselves and can prove they meet the program requirements (health insurance etc), then they can certainly try for a second stint, but they'd need to be prepared to be turned down as there's no guarantee I'm afraid.

HTH.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 4:56 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

No, we don't have any experience with the Supervisa as our parents refuse to leave everything behind and move without knowing for sure that they will be allowed to stay.

But there is a lot of people on this forum that are in Canada right now, trying to sort out things like drivers licence, insurance, taxes... You will find many posts to this regard. Seems to me like the whole Supervisa concept was not thought through before being implemented- somehow nobody thought about the fact that parents would move to Canada with all their belongings on what is essentially a temporary, non-resident visa. Some of them have problems obtaining a drivers licence or importing their furniture, so people are basically paving the way as they go...