Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Over 35, but under 40? Is Canada a no-no?

Over 35, but under 40? Is Canada a no-no?

Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Over 35, but under 40? Is Canada a no-no?

So, I had a quick look at the cic website, and it seems I'm not eligible for an FSW visa for BC. (I went through the questionnaire). I then looked at the eligibility questionnaire for Quebec and it would appear I am eligible....
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by colchar
If you can't get a job in journalism you could go into PR/Communications as education in journalism is also accepted as an entry into those fields just as education in PR/Communications are.
In fact, this is the are I am going to look into:
  • 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations

Specific eligibility criteria – Federal skilled workers
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
In fact, this is the are I am going to look into:
  • 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations

Specific eligibility criteria – Federal skilled workers
Do you already do that though? Bear in mind that the list of eligible occupations you're looking at is only going to be in place until January.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I've been working in that area since 2007, and technical writing before that.
Slim chance I would be eligible though.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Glad we could help!

There are over 50 routes to a visa for Canada, so if you're too old for the IEC there are loads of other options....
This is the bit that confuses me. From what I can see so far, it's an FSW or a LMO.

I am not sure if it would be worth applying from Ireland under my category. (1123)
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This is the bit that confuses me. From what I can see so far, it's an FSW or a LMO.

I am not sure if it would be worth applying from Ireland under my category. (1123)
I'm not sure why you mention your location as if it has any bearing on your eligibility?

If you can prove you do the duties listed under 1123, have enough points and meet the other criteria, then why do you think it wouldn't be worth applying? You'll need to hurry up and apply, but that would be far easier than trying to get a LMIA (new name for LMOs), plus would give you the security of PR before moving.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure why you mention your location as if it has any bearing on your eligibility?

If you can prove you do the duties listed under 1123, have enough points and meet the other criteria, then why do you think it wouldn't be worth applying? You'll need to hurry up and apply, but that would be far easier than trying to get a LMIA (new name for LMOs), plus would give you the security of PR before moving.
I mentioned my location for no other reason than I am based there.

I'm thinking ahead a little but. I'm not officially finished the masters until the end of August, then have to do a placement and fit in a wedding in Blighty in September. I would need to get my a*s in gear though...
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned my location for no other reason than I am based there.

I'm thinking ahead a little but. I'm not officially finished the masters until the end of August, then have to do a placement and fit in a wedding in Blighty in September. I would need to get my a*s in gear though...
Processing will take at least a year from the time of submission (present processing time is 27 months) - and once you receive your COPR you would need to land, but could leave again for up to 3 years before losing your PR status (you can obtain a work permit once you have AOR, should you wish to move sooner) so you will have plenty of time to tidy up any loose ends.

I really would not delay at all in submitting your application if you qualify, it will be much harder in January with the Express Entry system.

Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, I wasn't too sure of the timeline. I will print off the necessary forms and start filling them in next week.
I'm sure I'll have some stupid questions to ask as I go...

First thing I will do is double check that I would qualify.

Going by the basic points calculator, I would be well above 67 points, but again, I know that's basic.

Last edited by criodain; Jul 31st 2014 at 10:39 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Processing will take at least a year from the time of submission (present processing time is 27 months) - and once you receive your COPR you would need to land, but could leave again for up to 3 years before losing your PR status (you can obtain a work permit once you have AOR, should you wish to move sooner) so you will have plenty of time to tidy up any loose ends.

I really would not delay at all in submitting your application if you qualify, it will be much harder in January with the Express Entry system.

I'm fairly sure think Ireland falls under London when it comes to processing things, but would just like to confirm?

Processing times for Quebec skilled worker applications

I was looking at Quebec, as I speak French reasonably well, not fluent, It says here it's 15 months, but I will assume it could take longer.

Wow, 27 months for other provinces!

At least I could be adding another 2 years work experience to the CV in the meantime and learn how to put up with -25 temperatures...
Old Aug 8th 2014, 4:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm fairly sure think Ireland falls under London when it comes to processing things, but would just like to confirm?

Processing times for Quebec skilled worker applications

I was looking at Quebec, as I speak French reasonably well, not fluent, It says here it's 15 months, but I will assume it could take longer.

Wow, 27 months for other provinces!

At least I could be adding another 2 years work experience to the CV in the meantime and learn how to put up with -25 temperatures...
1. Yes London is the office for Ireland.
2. Processing time is 15 months for 80% of the Federal Applications, don't forget the processing time for CSQ. is between 12 and 24 months. See: Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Processing times
Old Aug 8th 2014, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Merci!

Now, where to apply... The only person I know is in Vancouver, but exploiting my French language skills would be appealing too... :/

Last edited by criodain; Aug 8th 2014 at 5:19 am.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

So I see that the maximum number of skilled visas for Quebec has been reached this year, so either way, it looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

I have to complete a work placement anyhow in October, which, at the very least, will look good on the CV.

I was going to get in touch with some companies in Canada just out of curiosity in the meantime.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but if applying via Quebec, you need to start here :

Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Selection process

Then once you receive a CSQ (certificat de selection du Québec), *then* you would apply to CIC for PR.

Good Luck !

S
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So I see that the maximum number of skilled visas for Quebec has been reached this year, so either way, it looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

I have to complete a work placement anyhow in October, which, at the very least, will look good on the CV.

I was going to get in touch with some companies in Canada just out of curiosity in the meantime.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you apply via the Federal route now? You say above you're eligible under NOC 1123?

It's been said before but I'll say it again, don't delay until next year if you can apply now. The new system is expected to make it much harder for most.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.