Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Outside or inside Quebec PR application

Outside or inside Quebec PR application

Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

devilabit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Outside or inside Quebec PR application

Hi,

I am currently living and working in Quebec on a new 3 year TWP. I intend to apply for PR in Canada via the outland family class route by being sponsored by my common-law partner who is living with me in Quebec and is a Canadian citizen. However, we do not intend to settle in Quebec, we plan to move to B.C. by mid next year if my application is successful. As far as we are aware, we need to first send our sponsorship and PR application to the case processing centre in Vegreville and then apply separately to MICC, Quebec once this application is approved. It seems that in applying for the CSQ in Quebec an interview in French may be required, however I have very little knowledge of French at the moment.

Does anybody know if this is the correct process to go through even if we do not intend to settle in the province of Quebec?

If applying via Quebec is indeed the correct process is it possible that I will have to do an interview in French and provide proof that I am improving my knowledge of French by taking a course etc?

Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Outside or inside Quebec PR application

I don't think you need to apply to Quebec if you don't plan on settling there.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Well that is what I thought as well but we rang CIC today and they said that we need to apply through Quebec although they didnt sound that convincing. This has obviously thrown us a little because we thought we knew what we needed to do but know we are a little confused.

I would think that since we intend to settle outside Quebec we should not need to apply for a CSQ even if we currently reside in Quebec.

I would really like to hear from anyone who might have applied under these particular circumstances previously?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by devilabit
Well that is what I thought as well but we rang CIC today and they said that we need to apply through Quebec although they didnt sound that convincing. This has obviously thrown us a little because we thought we knew what we needed to do but know we are a little confused.

I would think that since we intend to settle outside Quebec we should not need to apply for a CSQ even if we currently reside in Quebec.

I would really like to hear from anyone who might have applied under these particular circumstances previously?
CIC phone agents aren't always very reliable. Call Immigration Quebec, they will be able to help you better.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kleinluka
CIC phone agents aren't always very reliable. Call Immigration Quebec, they will be able to help you better.
The OP and his spouse are resident in Quebec and would be applying while residing in Quebec the OP would apply under the Quebec rules.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The OP and his spouse are resident in Quebec and would be applying while residing in Quebec the OP would apply under the Quebec rules.
But not intending to live in Quebec, it seems?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
But not intending to live in Quebec, it seems?
Do you think that CIC would believe them if the stated, we are living in Quebec, we applied for sponsorship from Quebec, but when I receive my visa I won't live in Quebec? Extremely unlikely.

PMM
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Do you think that CIC would believe them if the stated, we are living in Quebec, we applied for sponsorship from Quebec, but when I receive my visa I won't live in Quebec? Extremely unlikely.

PMM

The question is why did they apply for sponsorship from Quebec if they intend to live elsewhere?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

The reason we are applying from Quebec is that my current TWP is tied to a company in Quebec and my girlfriend(sponsor) is finishing up a masters which will be done around Christmas. When she finishes it makes more sense for her work to be out west because she is a geologist. We want to get the application process under way now so we can move in 6 months and start working straight away.

We did speak to someone at Immigration Quebec yesterday and they said that since the sponsor is residing in Quebec we must apply through Quebec. I would prefer to apply to CIC only but it looks like we have no choice. We will include a cover letter with our application explaining the situation just in case.