Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Our landing experience at Vancouver (YVR) 26th Feb 2013

Our landing experience at Vancouver (YVR) 26th Feb 2013

Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our landing experience at Vancouver (YVR) 26th Feb 2013

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add a quick update on our landing experience at YVR on 26th Feb 2013.

We flew in on an Air Transat flight from London (LGW) and landed at YVR around 12:00hrs

On approaching immigration my wife and I couldn't see directions posted for new immigrants, so asked a friendly staff member who sent us off to the right of the immigration area where there was an officer dedicated to new immigrant arrivals.
He checked our COPR's and passports, wrote our COPR numbers in our respective passports (more about that later) and stamped us into Canada. We were then directed to the new immigrant reception/processing centre.

Our check-in luggage stayed on the luggage carousel. We picked it up later (after processing) at the left luggage desk.

On arrival in the new immigrants reception area we were guided to a desk where a lady handed us a welcome pack and explained a few details on settling into Canada, obtaining SIN's, registering for MSP (BC healthcare) etc. The information leaflets are quite informative, but for us only confirmed what my previous research online (combined with the information from this forum) had already made me aware of.
If you were coming in blind to all that the information would be useful.

We were then given a tag number and asked to wait for further processing by an immigration officer.
The by the way the processing area at YVR is clean, well lit with comfortable seating and toilets etc.

In the line-up there were about 50 people. By way of nothing other than casual observation, of those 50, nigh on all of them were Chinese from what I could gather (I've lived in Asia). Most seemed to be about student age and probably were students. Very little English or French was being spoken whilst people were waiting.

We were processed within about 2 hrs.

Note: We were not asked for proof of funds at any point during the process.
We already had an address to give (our new home which we are taking over later this month) so our PR Cards will be sent there. The immigration officer processing us advised that the cars would take about 6-8 weeks to arrive.

I specifically asked the processing immigration officer about goods accompanying us and goods to follow lists (which we had with us) with regards to having them checked and stamped by a customs officers. She advised that we could if we wanted, but it wasn't really required and would only need to present them to customs when our goods arrived. She gave me a leaflet that said pretty much that. We left the processing area with the back page (no photo) of our original COPR's signed by us and the immigration officer plus our passports.

After all that I have read here, I wasn't too comfortable leaving the terminal without having our goods lists checked and stamped by customs. So, after we had collected our luggage and were passing through the immigration exit point, I pointedly mentioned that we were new immigrants just landing and had lists for accompanying baggage and goods to follow. Without hesitation they cut out out to head over to a customs officer. He reviewed our lists stamped them on each page, filled out a form had us sign the form also and sent us on our way. No goods/possessions we had with us were looked at.
Our goods lists are now all signed and stamped by a customs officer.

So.... we were in! Landed....

Now to set out and get ourselves registered Federally and Provincially as required....

COPR number versus whats written/stamped in your passport!
One thing we set out to do yesterday was get our Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) sorted.
We went to our local Services Canada office with the required documents.. passports and COPR's. Nice modern building!
A very nice lady (beats Portuguese government staff by a mile!) took mine and my wife's docs and started to process them into the system. All was good, until she noticed that my COPR number (hand written in entry stamp of my passport) had also been used in my wife's passport. Just one digit (the last one) was incorrect.
We figured out that this error was down to the very first immigration officer we met on entry, before we proceeded to the immigration reception area.

The service Canada rules are very clear about the fact that the COPR number written in the passport (by the immigration officer) must match the COPR number of the passport holder. If they don't match a SIN will not be issued.

So, I was issued with a SIN in about 15 minutes but my wife was not

Today, we are heading to Victoria airport (it is international by the way) with our docs in the hope that an immigration officer there will be able to look us up on the system and correct my OH's passport entry. If not we'll be on a ferry to the mainland and heading back to Vancouver airport as the immigration office in Victoria (Capital of BC!) was shut down a while back!
Once we have that sorted it'll be another trip to Service Canada to get a SIN for my OH.

Lesson learned:
  • If you are landing as a family group.
    Whilst you are waiting to be processed check that the COPR numbers (hand written within your passport entry stamp) match their respective COPR's. There were only two of us at the counter at the same time when the error occurred, but I would think the larger the group the greater the chance of an error.
  • After immigration processing, grab your luggage then go and see customs and get your goods acompanying and goods to follow lists checked and stamped. It won't do any harm, but not having them stamped on landing might cause problems later.

In summary the entry/landing process was pretty painless as there were not too many people awaiting processing at the time. It's pot luck on that front I guess.

best regards
James
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our landing experience at Vancouver (YVR) 26th Feb 2013

Welcome to Canada
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:43 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by james.mc
Hi all,

Just thought I'd add a quick update on our landing experience at YVR on 26th Feb 2013.

We flew in on an Air Transat flight from London (LGW) and landed at YVR around 12:00hrs

On approaching immigration my wife and I couldn't see directions posted for new immigrants, so asked a friendly staff member who sent us off to the right of the immigration area where there was an officer dedicated to new immigrant arrivals.
He checked our COPR's and passports, wrote our COPR numbers in our respective passports (more about that later) and stamped us into Canada. We were then directed to the new immigrant reception/processing centre.

Our check-in luggage stayed on the luggage carousel. We picked it up later (after processing) at the left luggage desk.

On arrival in the new immigrants reception area we were guided to a desk where a lady handed us a welcome pack and explained a few details on settling into Canada, obtaining SIN's, registering for MSP (BC healthcare) etc. The information leaflets are quite informative, but for us only confirmed what my previous research online (combined with the information from this forum) had already made me aware of.

We were then given a tag number and asked to wait for further processing by an immigration officer.
The by the way the processing area at YVR is clean, well lit with comfortable seating and toilets etc.

In the line-up there were about 50 people. By way of nothing other than casual observation, of those 50, nigh on all of them were Chinese from what I could gather (I've lived in Asia). Most seemed to be about student age and probably were students. Very little English or French was being spoken whilst people were waiting.

We already had an address to give (our new home which we are taking over later this month) so our PR Cards will be sent there. The immigration officer processing us advised that the cars would take about 6-8 weeks to arrive.

I specifically asked the processing immigration officer about goods accompanying us and goods to follow lists (which we had with us) with regards to having them checked and stamped by a customs officers. She advised that we could if we wanted, but it wasn't really required and would only need to present them to customs when our goods arrived. She gave me a leaflet that said pretty much that. We left the processing area with the back page (no photo) of our original COPR's signed by us and the immigration officer plus our passports.

After all that I have read here, I wasn't too comfortable leaving the terminal without having our goods lists checked and stamped by customs. So, after we had collected our luggage and were passing through the immigration exit point, I pointedly mentioned that we were new immigrants just landing and had lists for accompanying baggage and goods to follow. Without hesitation they cut out out to head over to a customs officer. He reviewed our lists stamped them on each page, filled out a form had us sign the form also and sent us on our way. No goods/possessions we had with us were looked at.

Now to set out and get ourselves registered Federally and Provincially as required....

One thing we set out to do yesterday was get our Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) sorted.
We went to our local Services Canada office with the required documents.. passports and COPR's. Nice modern building!
A very nice lady (beats Portuguese government staff by a mile!) took mine and my wife's docs and started to process them into the system. All was good, until she noticed that my COPR number (hand written in entry stamp of my passport) had also been used in my wife's passport. Just one digit (the last one) was incorrect.
We figured out that this error was down to the very first immigration officer we met on entry, before we proceeded to the immigration reception area.

The service Canada rules are very clear about the fact that the COPR number written in the passport (by the immigration officer) must match the COPR number of the passport holder. If they don't match a SIN will not be issued.

Today, we are heading to Victoria airport (it is international by the way) with our docs in the hope that an immigration officer there will be able to look us up on the system and correct my OH's passport entry. If not we'll be on a ferry to the mainland and heading back to Vancouver airport as the immigration office in Victoria (Capital of BC!) was shut down a while back!
Once we have that sorted it'll be another trip to Service Canada to get a SIN for my OH.

Lesson learned:
    Whilst you are waiting to be processed check that the COPR numbers (hand written within your passport entry stamp) match their respective COPR's. There were only two of us at the counter at the same time when the error occurred, but I would think the larger the group the greater the chance of an error.
  • After immigration processing, grab your luggage then go and see customs and get your goods acompanying and goods to follow lists checked and stamped. It won't do any harm, but not having them stamped on landing might cause problems later.

In summary the entry/landing process was pretty painless as there were not too many people awaiting processing at the time. It's pot luck on that front I guess.

best regards
James
Congratulations James & Co, that's very good of you to post your experience, especially with all that you have to do very good point ref checking the COPR numbers to the passports and making sure they match.

Also a very good point ref the goods to follow.

Will be keeping an eye on your posts, the very best of luck, hoping all gose well for all of you

Regards

Andrew

Maybe you looked posh so they didn't ask for proof of funds
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:50 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Lesson learned:

best regards
James
They didnt give us a car when we landed.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations, both of you! The final hurdle over at last.

Thanks for posting the pitfalls with the COPR numbers etc. Certainly one I will watch out for with 5 of us. It will be about 1am UK time when we land, so we won't be at our best!

All the best for sorting out the latest hiccup - and for settling into your new home.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:21 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys

Further to the COPR/passport number mismatch we drove over to Victoria airport this morning and visited the CBSA office there.

After we explained the problem, an immigration officer took the docs away (no doubt to check online to see when/where we landed etc.) and on his return crossed out the entry added by Vancouver CBSA (with a single line so it could still be read if required) and added a new entry stamp on the same page with the correct COPR number on it and he signed the entry.

We then drove back to our local Service Canada office who were then happy to issue a SIN to my OH. Job done.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:25 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
They didnt give us a car when we landed.
Ho! Ho! Thanks for your input!

They didn't give us a car when we arrived either.... we were told they would take 6-8 weeks to arrive. One each.. but I guess we're special people.

I'm pleased you found a typo in my short post, you clever person you. 10/10 for that.
Now go away and have a chat with yourself you naughty girl!

Last edited by james.mc; Mar 1st 2013 at 9:39 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:01 pm
All Sooked up!

I thought I should add that, prior to departure from Gatwick on one way tickets, at no time were we asked to produce our COPR's.

I'm not suggesting that on your initial one way landing flight you won't be asked to show COPR's (or later, residency cards), however, in our case it just didn't happen.

So, no COPR request prior to boarding
No proof of funds requested on landing.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Great post James - really helpful and relevant to us - and you know what - getting me a bit excited and giddy that this might be an experience we might be having in the not-so-distant future! Enjoy your first few weeks and good luck with the moving in/new house etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:22 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Ho! Ho! Thanks for your input!

They didn't give us a car when we arrived either.... we were told they would take 6-8 weeks to arrive. One each.. but I guess we're special people.

I'm pleased you found a typo in my short post, you clever person you. 10/10 for that.
Now go away and have a chat with yourself you naughty girl!

Oh it was a typo. Sorry didn't realize. Thought they were giving cars away these days

Welcome to Canada
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:06 pm
All Sooked up!

Oh it was a typo. Sorry didn't realize. Thought they were giving cars away these days
We all wish

Welcome to Canada
Cheers

Last edited by james.mc; Mar 2nd 2013 at 6:18 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

GazGsm1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi James,

Many thanks for the detailed breakdown of events on landing. As I am landing first in TO, then going onto Peg, I was thinking about waiting until I land in Peg before I produce my COPR.

TO, could be a bit manic.

Thoughts please guys - Firstly, am I allowed to do that?

Last edited by GazGsm1; Mar 2nd 2013 at 6:29 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 9:55 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by GazGsm1
Hi James,

Many thanks for the detailed breakdown of events on landing. As I am landing first in TO, then going onto Peg, I was thinking about waiting until I land in Peg before I produce my COPR.

Not too sure what you mean by Peg at this moment in time as my Canadian Geography is not that hot right now.

I'm pretty sure that you must 'Land' as an immigrant at your first port of entry when travelling from another country. This means if you land at TO you will need to 'Land' and produce your COPR at TO. Then travel internally (to another province?) afterwards.
The problem I see with that is that your PR card will be issued by the first province you live in and not the one you settle in. In effect you will be initially resident in the first province you 'land' in. Not sure if that makes sense?

Example: We are settling in BC, that is why we chose Vancouver (YVR), BC, as our first port of entry.

I believe life will initially be more simple, admin wise, if you land in the province you intend to settle in.

Once you are registered in the province you settle in.. you can fly in and out of Canada by any route or through any province you choose.

Last edited by james.mc; Mar 2nd 2013 at 9:59 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:55 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GazGsm1
Hi James,

We will be in the same situation, it dose not matter where you land, your COPR will be granted at port of entry, they might ask for an address in Winnipeg and or your confirmation of your onward travel arrangements, but that's it. No direct flights to YWG so you will have to enter CAD in another province.

Regards

Andrew
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 12:01 am
Andrew

Not too sure what you mean by Peg at this moment in time as my Canadian Geography is not that hot right now.

I'm pretty sure that you must 'Land' as an immigrant at your first port of entry when travelling from another country. This means if you land at TO you will need to 'Land' and produce your COPR at TO. Then travel internally (to another province?) afterwards.
The problem I see with that is that your PR card will be issued by the first province you live in and not the one you settle in. In effect you will be initially resident in the first province you 'land' in. Not sure if that makes sense?

Example: We are settling in BC, that is why we chose Vancouver (YVR), BC, as our first port of entry.

I believe life will initially be more simple, admin wise, if you land in the province you intend to settle in.

Once you are registered in the province you settle in.. you can fly in and out of Canada by any route or through any province you choose.
No direct flights from UK to Winnipeg, so you have to land in another province to activate COPR. Proof is your onward travel arrangements.

Regards

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.