Our CSQ interview experience

Old May 17th 2003, 1:53 pm
pnb
Forum Regular

pnb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our CSQ interview experience

Folks:

My wife and I had our CSQ interview yesterday at the Quebec office in NYC. This is a summary of our experience (and perhaps tips for those of you awaiting your interviews):

Our interview was scheduled at 11 AM. We were at the office by 10 AM hoping to see a large crowd. We were surprised to see that there was nobody else at that time for the interview. We rang the bell and a gentlemen ushered us in with a 'Bonjour'. We responded with a 'Bonjour' knowing fully well that the next sentence he speaks is going to be tough on us (We had marked a '2' for French competence on the 1 to 12 scale. We were at best a '1', is my honest assessment). He asked us something in French which we couldnt follow. He then said 'French or English?' to which we gladly said 'English'. He asked for our interview papers. We handed them over and he took just the top sheet (in French) and returned the rest back to us. He asked us to be seated.

The waiting area is a small place with about 6-8 chairs. There are many bilingual Quebec government publications for migrants that you could browse through. (I do not know how the federal government markets immigration but Quebec seems to be doing a great job in selling itself as a destination for migrants) Another couple (probably of African origin ... I dont know) walked in for the interview. They seemed to be fluent in French since they seemed to be conversing comfortably with the same guy who ushered us in. My wife and I got a little jittery but in my mind I was wondering why they would call people with seemingly good French skills for an interview ... probably to check their credentials, I reasoned with myself. This kind of augmented my position that knowing French is really not the foremost criterion for selection.

After 20 minutes, a Quebec officer (lady) walked into the waiting area and announced our name. We exchanged greetings and she walked us to the interview room. Once we were seated she asked us (in English) whether we'd like the interview in French or English. We chose English. The lady did caution us with "During the interview I will also test your French ...... in English" and she smiled. We all exchanged a quick round of laughs and she began the interview.

She was feeding data into her case processing software as she talked to us. She mentioned that she has to enter her comments on our case as she discusses with us. She informed us that she will interview me first and then my wife.

She asked for my educational certificates and she seemed pleased to see that I had two degrees (I have a BS in Computer Science and an MBA in Mktg). She then asked for my experience letters. She was not giving a lot of attention to any of the documents. I got the feeling that she seemed to be trusting us. No questions were asked on my education or professional experience except that she wanted to know where my current employer (in the US) was based. She did notice that all my 4.5 years were in high-tech.

She then looked at my wife's certificates and she immediately mentioned 'Oh you guys met in college'. I realized that she was actually being observant contrary to what I thought before. My wife is more qualified than I am. She has 3 degrees .. a BS in civil engg, a post grad diploma in managing footwear enterprises (the interview and my wife had a pleasant exchange on the topic of footwear) and a diploma in general management. She went through my wife's employment certificates and noticed that both of us were in high tech (BTW, my wife doesnt work in the US. She is on leave from her job back home)

At this point the fire alarms went off (it was a drill) and all of us had to assemble in the lobby to get a brief on evacuation procedures at the building. We were back in the room in about 30 mins. She now started our French tests. Although we had prepared a series of probable questions (simple sentences like 'How are you', 'where are you from' etc) and answers, I blanked out completely and I just couldnt open my mouth and speak sentences. I could utter only mono syllable responses (oui and non) till my wife started to prompt the answers out of me. At this point the interviewer was glad to notice my wife's French (whew! thank god!!) and she mentioned that her French was much better than mine. We then spent a minutes talking in English about how we went about learning french (through computer software, books, a couple of movies) and what plans we had for enrolling ourselves in French courses.

She then told us that she needs to ask one final question before she concludes the interview: "Why Quebec?". I had prepared religiously for this one knowing fully well that this would be the clincher. We knew no french, we didnt have relatives in quebec and we had never visited quebec. I had prepared a table of comparisons (cost of living, real estate prioces, crime rates, educational opportunities, job growth etc) between Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal and the parameters/numbers were at the top of my head and I reeled these out and told her that Montreal was the best place for my wife, myself and for our kids in the future. I can tell you that she was visibly pleased with our answer. She even mentioned "That is a sincere response. You have done your research. Very wise decision to choose Montreal". We knew we were home.

She fed some more data into her computer and after what seemed like an interminable wait (the case processing software) with her computer, she turned around and announced "You are going to Montreal" and congratulated us.

I asked her if she would like to see our financial statements. She said she doesnt have to look at the statements and she also said "Iam sure you have the money. If you dont have the money, I know you will soon have it". She then printed out our CSQs, gave us our immigration brochures (one in English and one in French) and explained the next steps we should take. She informed us that we will be ready to leave for Montreal in a year's time with our immigrant visas.

She then asked us if we had any questions. Big question in my mind was what happens if we have a kid before we get our visas. She said that that's not a problem. We would have to send the child's brith certificate to the NYC office and they will issue a CSQ for the child as well. With the CSQ, I can apply to the federal govt for the child's visa. Basically, our process will not be held up because of the child.

She then wished us luck with the baby and saw us off with a 'Au Revoir'

-----

Our timeline to CSQ:

1. Sep 2002, 3rd week - initial application sent
2. Oct 2002, 3rd week - received CSQ application
3. Nov 2002, 2nd week - mailed CSQ application
4. Dec 2002, 2nd week - Request for additional info (bank statements (dont know why they asked for this again) and my wife's signature on a document stating that Civil engg is a regulated occupation)
5. Jan 2003, 2nd week - letter telling us that we are on a waiting list for interview
6. Mar 2003, 1st week - interview set for April 21 ( we had this postponed to May)
7. Mar 2003, 2nd week - interview set for May 16.
8. May 16, 2003 - CSQ granted.

-----

Other useful info:

1. We did NOT submit any test scores for French or English
2. We did NOT have job descriptions for our previous jobs. We only had relieving letters. But for our current jobs we had full job descriptions.
3. I did NOT have my original secondary school certificates (I had copies though). My wife had all her certificates.
3. We had dressed up formally for the interview. I think that also made an impression on the interviewer. I dont know if it matters in all cases.

----

I'll be glad to provide additional information. Please let me know.
Many thanks to others who posted their experience and patiently responded to my questions in the past. I will be glad to return the favors to others.

Regards
PnB
Old May 17th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PnB,

Thanks for this - most helpful. Good luck with the next stages of the process.

Evelynne