Oppurtunities for Doctors???

Old Jun 19th 2001, 5:49 am
jac

I am planning to land in Canada in the month fo April next. I am a Doctor from India.
I am interested to know what are the courses / tests or entrance exams to be taken so
that I become eligible to practice as a doctor in Canada. What are the oppurtunities
for a doctor in Canada? What are the jobs (in medical field),I will be eligible for,
as soon as I land there?

Thankx in advance for the informations

Ash

Old Jun 19th 2001, 4:32 pm
Gloria

[email protected] (jac)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

HI ASH, I am canadian living in the states right now...but do we need doctors in
Canada OHHHHH YESSSSSS real bad.YOU will have no problem landing a job.I know where i
am from Doctors are needed bad,that would be Cape Breton Island,beautiful place just
that doctors don't like to live in a country they want cities.Just wanted to say i am
happy reading that some doctors do want to work in canada Gloria

Old Jun 19th 2001, 6:23 pm
Serguei Patchkovskii

[email protected] (jac)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

He (she? I am really bad at guessing the gender of Indian names) will most certainly
_have_ a problem landing a doctor's, or even a nurse's job - despite the very real
shortage of doctors and nurses in Canada. Canadian medical licensing system is biased
against medical professionals, who were educated outside of Canada, U.S., and a
handful of other countries. Before being able to practice medicine, he (she) will
have to pass multiple exams (none of them easy), and to re-do his (her) internship at
a canadian hospital. Tha latter step seems to present a real problem - according to
press reports, the number of internships, open to foreign-educated doctors, is small,
and getting one is difficult. Until the last year, the total number of intern
positions, opening in Alberta every year, was equal to the sum total of medical
graduates in the same year ... so that exactly _zero_ internships were available for
anyone else. Since the last year, Alberta has 10 (that's ten) intern positions
available to foreign medical graduates
- with more than hundred foreign-educated doctors, unable to practice medicine,
living in Calgary alone.

I would strongly urge Ash to contact the colledge of physicians and surgeons, for the
province he (she) intends to settle in, and get detailed information on his (her)
prospects of practicing medicine in that province. Otherwise, he (she) may suffer a
rude shock upon coming here, and finding his/her professional carier destroyed ...

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/

Old Jun 20th 2001, 12:17 am
Richard Polley

You will need a job, a licence, and an Employment Authorization (temporary residence)
or Permanent Residence.

There is a steady demand for doctors so you have a good chance of finding a job.

Depending on the province you will need the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating
Exam, or Medical Council of Canada Licencing Exam to get a licence.

For Immigration you need to go through the usual rigamarole of medical examination of
you and all you family, and security check. Your potential employers should apply for
a Job Offer Validation for you to do the particular job from Human Resources
Development Canada. They may not have much experience of employing people from
overseas so they may need some prompting.

Old Jun 20th 2001, 12:44 am
Andrew Miller

Richard, what you are pointing out applies in theory to all occupations, but the
reality for medical doctors is exactly as Serguei Patchkovskii explained in his reply
to the original poster. It is almost physically impossible for a physician trained
outside Canada and US to get licensed to practice medicine in Canada, unless he or
she gets somehow very lucky in securing internship after passing all exams. This is
why all physicians immigrating to Canada under another occupation or as dependents of
principal applicant are required to sign a statutory declaration that they will not
be able to practice medicine in Canada without going through all the hoops and loops
of exams, internship and licensing.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 27th 2001, 6:00 am
Jeffrey Dobek

I have a friend who is in this position.

Is it possible for them, if they are interested enough in continuing to practice, to
simply go back to medical school?

in message

[usenetquote2]> > You will need a job, a licence, and an Employment Authorization (temporary[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > residence) or Permanent Residence.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > There is a steady demand for doctors so you have a good chance of finding a job.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Depending on the province you will need the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Exam, or Medical Council of Canada Licencing Exam to get a licence.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > For Immigration you need to go through the usual rigamarole of medical[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > examination of you and all you family, and security check. Your potential[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employers should apply for a Job Offer Validation for you to do the particular[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > job from Human Resources Development Canada. They may not have much experience of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > employing people from overseas so they may need some prompting.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 27th 2001, 8:42 am
jac

"Andrew Miller" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
----------------------------------------------------

Thankx, for your messages. I have got a hang of things to expect in the future.

U mentioned about exams, internship and licensing, could you please help me with some
information as to what are the exams I need to write or address of some web site
which may give more information ( specifically for Ontario). What are the jobs
available in medical field which I can take without undergoing the hassles of getting
myself licensed for the same.

I am planning to land as a dependant, planning to accompany my hubby who is a
Mechanical/HVAC engineer. Your information regarding oppurtunities in HVAC design
industry will be appreciated too.

Have a nice day.

Ash

Old Jun 27th 2001, 2:45 pm
Andrew Miller

Ash,

Here are the links where you can find required info.

Medical Council of Canada:

http://www.mcc.ca/en.html

College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

"jac" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Richard, what you are pointing out applies in theory to all occupations,[/usenetquote2]
but
[usenetquote2]> > the reality for medical doctors is exactly as Serguei Patchkovskii[/usenetquote2]
explained in
[usenetquote2]> > his reply to the original poster. It is almost physically impossible for a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > physician trained outside Canada and US to get licensed to practice[/usenetquote2]
medicine in
[usenetquote2]> > Canada, unless he or she gets somehow very lucky in securing internship[/usenetquote2]
after
[usenetquote2]> > passing all exams. This is why all physicians immigrating to Canada under another[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > occupation or as dependents of principal applicant are required to[/usenetquote2]
sign
[usenetquote2]> > a statutory declaration that they will not be able to practice medicine in Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > without going through all the hoops and loops of exams, internship[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > licensing.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >