open work permit?

Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Jadantrak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default open work permit?

I have recently arrived in Canada on a study visa, I have been here 3 weeks , my husband was to continue work at home then join us when our PR came through, roughly Jan 2012

My husband has recently been offered a job here so can join us earlier, quite frankly its been hell without him

Ive done some research and it appears he could get an open work permit at POE, is this right?

would appreciate some assistance

thanks
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:19 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: open work permit?

Yes he can, if he has all the right documentation he can present it when he flies in and get it there.

Has he checked to see if he needs an LMO etc, i'm not too clued up on the ins and outs of the process but it IS possible
Old Aug 7th 2011, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yes he can, if he has all the right documentation he can present it when he flies in and get it there.

Has he checked to see if he needs an LMO etc, i'm not too clued up on the ins and outs of the process but it IS possible
Hi Mandymoochops

Thanks so much for your reply, with an open work permit its my understanding that no LMO required, so hopefully we are good to go
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

why would he get an open work permit with a job offer?

It was my understanding that if you had a job offer / then you 95% of the time need an lmo and you get a specific work permit tied to the job offer.

If you could explain why it might be an open work permit (ie allowed to work for anyone he wants) then you may get someone along who ca say for sure!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
why would he get an open work permit with a job offer?

It was my understanding that if you had a job offer / then you 95% of the time need an lmo and you get a specific work permit tied to the job offer.

If you could explain why it might be an open work permit (ie allowed to work for anyone he wants) then you may get someone along who ca say for sure!
As I understand it, the spouse of someone on a study permit can get an open work permit for the same time as the study permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 7th 2011 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As I understand it, the spouse of someone on a study permit can get an open work permit for the same time as the study permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp
thanks JonboyE thats what i read so im hoping
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

ahh there you go - sorted
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys

will keep you posted
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

We came in the same route, my wife was a student and I came along. At POE, I was told that my name was not included for the initial application that was sent for London for Study permit of my wife. So, they asked me to send the document to Vegerville, which I did and got my OWP in 30 days.

Recently, my employer did my LMO and we just crossed the border and got WP for me and OWP for my wife at the border in Niagara.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update everyone and hopefully help someone in the same situation

My husband just arrived So im one happy Gal

He got his OWP at POE, he just had a copy of my study visa and our marriage cert he had to explain why on my application it said he was staying overseas and now was coming.

he is here just for a week then will arrive permanently early October, we feel very lucky
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jadantrak
Just to update everyone and hopefully help someone in the same situation

My husband just arrived So im one happy Gal

He got his OWP at POE, he just had a copy of my study visa and our marriage cert he had to explain why on my application it said he was staying overseas and now was coming.

he is here just for a week then will arrive permanently early October, we feel very lucky
Great news, must have made your day!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

yes ! thanks RKS, to say the least RKS_in_Calgary