Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Only the principal applicant meets PR obligation

Only the principal applicant meets PR obligation

Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:05 am
Just Joined

CanadaFann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Only the principal applicant meets PR obligation

Hi,

I appreciate it if anyone can answer my below question please:

My wife and I both became PRs at the same time but I was the principal applicant. We are now living outside Canada.

Now if I return to Canada ALONE in order to meet my residency requirement to keep my PR status, will my wife also keep her PR status automatically if she stays abroad? If not, then what happens to her PR status?

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only the principal applicant meets PR obligation

She also has to maintain her own PR status.
I suggest you read this link regarding PR status on how its maintained and what the exemptions are

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir.../enf23-eng.pdf

If she doesn't maintain her PR status then on returning to Canada she could be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation and be reported and issued with a removal order that can be appealed.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
She also has to maintain her own PR status.
I suggest you read this link regarding PR status on how its maintained and what the exemptions are

If she doesn't maintain her PR status then on returning to Canada she could be reported for failing to meet the residency obligation and be reported and issued with a removal order that can be appealed.

Thanks for your reply

But if I return to keep my PR status and she stays abroad, based on what you say, she will not meet the residency requirements. Is there a way then for me to have her in Canada as my Dependant?
Old Apr 29th 2018, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaFann
Thanks for your reply

But if I return to keep my PR status and she stays abroad, based on what you say, she will not meet the residency requirements. Is there a way then for me to have her in Canada as my Dependant?
You can sponsor her for PR.

But it’s an awful lot of hassle and cost, is there no way she can just go with you?
Old Apr 29th 2018, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaFann
Thanks for your reply

No she is you wife so cant be classed as a dependent. She either comes back to Canada with you or runs the risk of losing her PR status.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 5:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Could you find a new one?
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:53 am
Just Joined

thank you all