Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

okay, a more simple question... hopefully.

okay, a more simple question... hopefully.

Old Dec 30th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

indefinitely is an unknown quantity at this point
Question okay, a more simple question... hopefully.

american, living in california... marrying a canadian (in a week and a day!)... and i have some questions.

i made a giant post yesterday, didn't get a response... and figured that i'd try again. like i said, any help would be incredibly appreciated.

-----

we've been in a relationship for 4 years... i was in canada a month ago (was there for 5 weeks during this visit... and there were two other visits during this year alone)...
we're getting married in vegas. we'll be going back to canada days after our wedding... our marriage certificate in hand (the one they give us at our wedding, as we'll have to await the 'official' one in the mail once we're home in ottawa... which is what we'll submit with out application for PR), receipts for my fingerprints (for my police certificates)... and my soontobehusbands notice of assessment (and/or paystubs... and a letter of employment).
is there anything else that you can think of that we might need as not to be hassled when we fly into toronto on the 10th?

also, as far as i know... we should have no issues getting our marriage license in las vegas... and we're having a small civil ceremony there with a couple of friends. is there anyone else who has had any experience expiditing a marriage in the states, AND dealing with immigration? i'd like to hear any stories that might give me a heads up on what to expect.

like i said, i've done a good amount of research... i know my stuff... i'm just getting the last minute nerves and am hoping that someone will be able to confirm information or offer some help.

thank you so much.

-becks
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: okay, a more simple question... hopefully.

Just tell the truth at the border - that you are married to Canadian and that you'll be sponsored from within Canada (if this is the route you want of course). Then, once in Canada, make sure to keep your status valid at all times.

Originally Posted by indefinitely
american, living in california... marrying a canadian (in a week and a day!)... and i have some questions.

i made a giant post yesterday, didn't get a response... and figured that i'd try again. like i said, any help would be incredibly appreciated.

-----

we've been in a relationship for 4 years... i was in canada a month ago (was there for 5 weeks during this visit... and there were two other visits during this year alone)...
we're getting married in vegas. we'll be going back to canada days after our wedding... our marriage certificate in hand (the one they give us at our wedding, as we'll have to await the 'official' one in the mail once we're home in ottawa... which is what we'll submit with out application for PR), receipts for my fingerprints (for my police certificates)... and my soontobehusbands notice of assessment (and/or paystubs... and a letter of employment).
is there anything else that you can think of that we might need as not to be hassled when we fly into toronto on the 10th?

also, as far as i know... we should have no issues getting our marriage license in las vegas... and we're having a small civil ceremony there with a couple of friends. is there anyone else who has had any experience expiditing a marriage in the states, AND dealing with immigration? i'd like to hear any stories that might give me a heads up on what to expect.

like i said, i've done a good amount of research... i know my stuff... i'm just getting the last minute nerves and am hoping that someone will be able to confirm information or offer some help.

thank you so much.

-becks