Oh Canada!

Old Oct 4th 2004, 11:54 am
Just Joined

anthonyl2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh Canada!

Hi all

I need some advice! I have been with my girlfriend for some time she is a Canadian citizen. We have both been living in the UK for 4 years, I'm a British citizen and would like to migrate to Canada with my girlfriend. I don't have a degree so I can't apply for a skilled worker visa. I wanted to know has anybody got citizenship by getting married to a Canadian? is it like the system in the UK...

Many Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:48 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Canada!

Originally Posted by anthonyl2001
Hi all

I need some advice! I have been with my girlfriend for some time she is a Canadian citizen. We have both been living in the UK for 4 years, I'm a British citizen and would like to migrate to Canada with my girlfriend. I don't have a degree so I can't apply for a skilled worker visa. I wanted to know has anybody got citizenship by getting married to a Canadian? is it like the system in the UK...

Many Thanks
As you are common law spouses she can sponsor you for immigration. Check out the CICs website at www.cic.gc.ca for information on how to proceed.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:51 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you won't get Canadian citizenship just by marrying Canadian. You need first to apply for Permanent Resident visa, after PR visa is granted you must immigrate to Canada and live here for at least 3 years within 4 years preceding citizenship application to be eligible to apply.

Your spouse or common-law partner (if you have cohabiting in conjugal relationship and have done it for at least 12 months) can sponsor you for PR visa.

Originally Posted by anthonyl2001
Hi all

Many Thanks
Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, you won't get Canadian citizenship just by marrying Canadian. You need first to apply for Permanent Resident visa, after PR visa is granted you must immigrate to Canada and live here for at least 3 years within 4 years preceding citizenship application to be eligible to apply.
And contrary to what you seem to think, the route towards British citizenship for a non-UK spouse is similar, obtain permanent residence and apply for naturalisation with 3 years resident in the UK.

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:24 am
Just Joined

anthonyl2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for you reply's, just one last question! will my sponsor have to prove that she can financially support me for 3 years? I ask because my girlfriend will be going back to go to Uni.

Regards
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:39 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

She won't have to prove her income or anything, but she will have to promise to support you, and having money to live will be a consideration, of course!