Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

OH arriving before me, I have the study visa.

OH arriving before me, I have the study visa.

Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute
Default OH arriving before me, I have the study visa.

Hi all. I know this question has been asked before but I’ve searched the forums and can’t find it so apologies for asking.

I have been granted a 2 year study placement commencing Sept 1st. My husband would like to travel out before us to arrange accommodation and transport. We would join him around mid August as he won’t be returning to the UK. How would he go about getting his work visa at the airport if I’m not there with him?
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH arriving before me, I have the study visa.

Originally Posted by Rabbithole
Hi all. I know this question has been asked before but I’ve searched the forums and can’t find it so apologies for asking.

I have been granted a 2 year study placement commencing Sept 1st. My husband would like to travel out before us to arrange accommodation and transport. We would join him around mid August as he won’t be returning to the UK. How would he go about getting his work visa at the airport if I’m not there with him?
Do you actually have your study permit in hand? He can't get a SOWP until you have that. If you don't have it yet (i.e. you only have the Letter of Introduction and haven't actually travelled to Canada to get the study permit), then he'd have to just try and enter as a visitor and then flagpole at a later date to get his SOWP once you've got your permit.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 4th 2019 at 8:15 am.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Rabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond reputeRabbithole has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH arriving before me, I have the study visa.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you actually have your study permit in hand? He can't get a SOWP until you have that. If you don't have it yet (i.e. you only have the Letter of Introduction and haven't actually travelled to Canada to get the study permit), then he'd have to just try and enter as a visitor and then flagpole at a later date to get his SOWP once you've got your permit.

HTH.
that makes sense, no, I don’t have it in hand, I’ve had the LOA and applied for my visa online via CIC. Think it will be best for him to travel home and for us to travel back as a family. Thanks so much