British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Obtaining a work visa whilst in Canada - possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/obtaining-work-visa-whilst-canada-possible-936610/)

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 1:31 pm

Re: Obtaining a work visa whilst in Canada - possible?

Hello everyone.Thank you everyone for your comments.

Well I think have found a way. Despite my qualifications and work experience, I'm not going to get in on express entry with only 444 points, unless I was very lucky, and quite honestly I could be waiting forever - getting older and losing points in the process.

So; I have discovered if I do a course I can obtain a work permit (part time) and study permit. I have found a course which is relational to my field (Social services) and is relatively inexpensive for an international student (in comparison with doing a degree). It seems I can work in Canada for up to 3 years after graduating from the course - which will allow me time to get a firm job. I'm hoping then I will be able to go for PR. So the plan would be, go over, do the course and work part time, get a job in the social services field, apply for PR that way.

The thought of doing another course gives me the shivers - I already have a PhD, but I figure I need to do what is needed, and it will be useful to get a feel for the Canadian way with regards to social issues.

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970610)
So; I have discovered if I do a course I can obtain a work permit (part time) and study permit. I have found a course which is relational to my field (Social services) and is relatively inexpensive for an international student (in comparison with doing a degree). It seems I can work in Canada for up to 3 years after graduating from the course

The PGWP will be for between 8 months and 3 years, depending on your course length. Do make sure the course is at a Designated Learning Institution. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970610)
The thought of doing another course gives me the shivers - I already have a PhD, but I figure I need to do what is needed, and it will be useful to get a feel for the Canadian way with regards to social issues.

I hate to be the voice of doom, but be aware study permits are often refused if you would be studying a lower level of qualification than you already have, as CIC may not believe you're a genuine student. Just make sure you have a good justification for wanting to do that course if you've already got a PhD.

A study permit is an expensive way to do it and not terribly secure, so I usually suggest it as a last resort, but can work if that's your only option.

Can I ask why you've discounted the Self-Employed program? That would be a much easier/cheaper/more secure route but I assume your husband isn't eligible?

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 3:28 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have a place at a designated training institution in Ontario, in fact I just got notice that I have been granted a work/study visa. But I hear and totally agree with you, its far from ideal.

I know its far, far from ideal. Regarding my husband, well the reason he isn't going in on the self employment route he says we need money (obviously we have some but I'm talking a serious amount). I'm sure someone here said that wasnt the case though.

That really sounds too good to be true. But I'm going over the details again now.

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970672)
Regarding my husband, well the reason he isn't going in on the self employment route he says we need money (obviously we have some but I'm talking a serious amount). I'm sure someone here said that wasnt the case though.

That would be me that said that. If you don't believe me, here it is from the horses mouth - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=294&top=6

I *really* suggest you re-read the links above. If he's eligible then it would get you both PR which seems to be the aim. There is no minimum funds requirement. There is no requirement to put money in to any business in Canada. There is not even a requirement for him to stay in the same occupation, or to remain self-employed, when he gets to Canada. There is a points requirement but it's much less onerous than EE. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-factors.html

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 3:32 pm

THANK YOU. Frog marching him over to the desk as we speak!

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970672)
in fact I just got notice that I have been granted a work/study visa.

It's definitely from IRCC? It's just a study permit, no work visa (you can work without needing one if you're on a study permit - your study permit will state if you are allowed to or not). Processing times are normally around 9-10 weeks so it's just very quick that's all, just wanted to check you've not applied via a dodgy third party website!

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970674)
THANK YOU. Frog marching him over to the desk as we speak!

:lol: Seems like your best route to me, but perhaps he's not eligible for some reason (i.e. hasn't done the 2 years required etc). But definitely get him researching!

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 3:59 pm

For sure - I know though eh, it was quick! I went to London to give biometrics only yesterday.

The reverse of the letter (the bit for the immigration officer) says 'Permit - WP' 'Permit-SP'

The course I got on requires a placement as part of it, which is why I needed to have a work permit element to the visa.

On the topic of my husband, you know it looks like we ARE eligible, we have 75 points altogether. This is giving me hope, so we are going to go through stuff again tonight.

As it originally stood I was going to go on my own, stay with my friend and do the course and he was going to come over as soon as he could. I'd work part time hours and give my friend money for staying with him.

Obviously this was not something we wanted ideally (although we have been together 20 years and he annoys me most the of the time I would miss him a LOT!!)

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12970686)
For sure - I know though eh, it was quick! I went to London to give biometrics only yesterday.

The reverse of the letter (the bit for the immigration officer) says 'Permit - WP' 'Permit-SP'

The course I got on requires a placement as part of it, which is why I needed to have a work permit element to the visa.

On the topic of my husband, you know it looks like we ARE eligible, we have 75 points altogether. This is giving me hope, so we are going to go through stuff again tonight.

As it originally stood I was going to go on my own, stay with my friend and do the course and he was going to come over as soon as he could. I'd work part time hours and give my friend money for staying with him.

Obviously this was not something we wanted ideally (although we have been together 20 years and he annoys me most the of the time I would miss him a LOT!!)

OK, a genuine study permit then (was just checking!).

I'm intrigued to know what you'll do if he does qualify for PR via this route (other than tell him he should have listed to us a month ago and saved you a lot of hassle and money!). Will you still go over on the study permit or wait until you both get PR?

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 4:11 pm

Ha! That is exactly the question I've just put to him!!

The answer is - I'm not sure. We have a dog, who we would like to bring with us (that would be a job for my husband). As ridiculous as it sounds to some, he is a rescue and I couldn't leave him (we have no family we could give him too). What I'm thinking at the moment is I go over and do the course as planned (its only a one year fast track) and he come over on the self employed route.

As it stands the first part of the course is all online due to Covid anyway, I was planning on flying over in April but who knows what is going to happen. Point is if I had to I could do the first part here in Blighty. The time difference is -5 hours so it is doable. The following 2 semesters are placement based, so I'd need to be over for that (so at the latest go in June/July, as I'd need time to actually network and get a placement prior to the semester starting in September).

You must think I have the most bizarre circumstances, to be honest I do, but hey you only live once. I just wish I'd went over years ago, but now our caring responsibilities are no more, we can go and not have to worry about anyway.

Thanks again for your replies, you are very helpful.

sushilover Feb 11th 2021 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12970687)
(other than tell him he should have listed to us a month ago and saved you a lot of hassle and money!)

Indeed lol

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 4:34 pm

I need to proofread my posts......listened obvs, not listed!

The dog thing absolutely does not sound ridiculous. I have 3 and no way would I leave any of them.

Could you defer your course place for a year maybe? Then go together. Or you both go, OH on the open work permit and you on the study permit, whilst your PR app is processed.

And just checking, but don’t forget you can only work a certain number of hours during the term on a study permit, so if you need to do a work placement you need to apply for this (if that’s not already the ‘WP’ mentioned in your LOI - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk/intern.html

sushilover Feb 13th 2021 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12970708)
I need to proofread my posts......listened obvs, not listed!

The dog thing absolutely does not sound ridiculous. I have 3 and no way would I leave any of them.

Could you defer your course place for a year maybe? Then go together. Or you both go, OH on the open work permit and you on the study permit, whilst your PR app is processed.

And just checking, but don’t forget you can only work a certain number of hours during the term on a study permit, so if you need to do a work placement you need to apply for this (if that’s not already the ‘WP’ mentioned in your LOI - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rk/intern.html

ok so we have started the process of filling out the self employed route application, starting with my h getting his police certificate done, that’s now applied for.

The next big question is this; you need a certain amount of points to be considered - like with ee- but are there draws for the self employed route, or is it a case of you can get in if you have above the required set of points ( I think it said 35 but will check) Again the latter seems too easy.

sushilover Feb 13th 2021 11:18 pm

Oops submitted too quickly there. From what I gather you are given points upon submission of the form. Submission of the form requires an upfront fee. Is this to go into some sort of self employed pool? I hope I am making sense..

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2021 8:03 am

It’s just a minimum points requirement and there is no pool. He’s submitting a full PR application at the start, there’s no waiting to be invited to apply like with EE.

If he meets the points threshold then he applies and they process his PR app. That’s it. :D