British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Obtaining a work visa whilst in Canada - possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/obtaining-work-visa-whilst-canada-possible-936610/)

sushilover Jan 15th 2021 1:43 pm

Obtaining a work visa whilst in Canada - possible?

Thank you for accepting me into the group.

Moving to Canada has always been the hope for myself and my husband and due to many things, mainly family ties, we have stayed in the UK. We have now found ourselves devoid of all ties due to bereavements and really want to leave England.

I am already in the Express Entry pool but with a score of 444 so not wonderful but not awful either. I'm 37, and have a degree, Masters and a PhD which helped with the points, but I know my age doesnt. I know applying for work from here in the UK and being successful would get me in but I am trying to work out if I would be better going over and looking for work over there - and whether this would even be possible.

I am fortunate in that I have someone I can stay with (I studied abroad at UofT for an academic year and have maintained solid friendships over the years), so there is not that barrier. I would rather avoid wasting any more time here trying to get over via getting a job from here, I’d rather just get stuck into the job search over there, if that makes sense. Has anyone here tried successfully that way? My background is in research (sociology/criminology/social policy) - I have held lecturing and social research positions in the past. I suppose I am just trying to gather some options. But I would happily work in somewhere like Tim Hortons or such like. If anyone can help or speak from experience I'd be very grateful.

Billie

christmasoompa Jan 15th 2021 3:18 pm

Re: Obtaining a work visa whilst in Canada - possible?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12959372)
I know applying for work from here in the UK and being successful would get me in but I am trying to work out if I would be better going over and looking for work over there - and whether this would even be possible.

It's certainly not at the moment, due to the borders being closed for anything other than essential travel. But potentially you could do that when things improve, and that's the way most find a sponsoring employer/job offer.

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12959372)
My background is in research (sociology/criminology/social policy) - I have held lecturing and social research positions in the past. I suppose I am just trying to gather some options. But I would happily work in somewhere like Tim Hortons or such like.

You would be highly unlike to find an employer prepared to pay the money, go through the paperwork/hassle, and wait months for you to start, for a Tim Hortons type position, and I doubt a LMIA would be granted anyway with so many Canadians out of work and able to do that job. So focus on your actual skills, experience, and you may get lucky.

Which province are you looking to move to, and can you give us a breakdown of your CRS scores so we can see if they can be improved anywhere? What's your NOC code? Also, when do you turn 38?

Lastly, what's your husband's CRS score and what does he do for a job?

sushilover Jan 16th 2021 7:49 pm

Thank you for replying, I’m sorry for the slightly late reply. You’re right of course, getting out of the UK is impossible at the moment, we are lockdown till at least end of February. In that regard, I’m hoping to be able to come in April/May, on the hope things will improve.

I know it would only be a professional type job that would go to all the hassle and expense of having me - the only reason I suggest Tims et al is because I’d be totally up for working there if they’d take me on, then allowing me to obtain a work visa. And as you say, there are plenty of Canadians who can do those types of jobs.

The thing is with the professional sector, it’s all about making connections, meeting the right people, which is why I’d rather be over there to do just that. I want to go to Ontario, but I don’t believe my sector (social research / academic lecturer in social sciences ) is that in demand in any province. My husband is on my application, with me as the lead applicant. His score is minimal as he has always been self employed in the film and media industry.

I’m 38 in March, he is 40 in Jan 22. I’ll give you a breakdown of the scores when I get home (on another computer at the moment so don’t have access to the password).

I’m also considering going over with my savings and hoping I can find somewhere - ideally a professional role - before I have to return to the UK (I think I can stay 6 months on a holiday visa).

scilly Jan 16th 2021 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12959910)
Thank you for replying, I’m sorry for the slightly late reply. You’re right of course, getting out of the UK is impossible at the moment, we are lockdown till at least end of February. In that regard, I’m hoping to be able to come in April/May, on the hope things will improve.

I know it would only be a professional type job that would go to all the hassle and expense of having me - the only reason I suggest Tims et al is because I’d be totally up for working there if they’d take me on, then allowing me to obtain a work visa. And as you say, there are plenty of Canadians who can do those types of jobs.

The thing is with the professional sector, it’s all about making connections, meeting the right people, which is why I’d rather be over there to do just that. I want to go to Ontario, but I don’t believe my sector (social research / academic lecturer in social sciences ) is that in demand in any province. My husband is on my application, with me as the lead applicant. His score is minimal as he has always been self employed in the film and media industry.

I’m 38 in March, he is 40 in Jan 22. I’ll give you a breakdown of the scores when I get home (on another computer at the moment so don’t have access to the password).

I’m also considering going over with my savings and hoping I can find somewhere - ideally a professional role - before I have to return to the UK (I think I can stay 6 months on a holiday visa).

I think you have UP TO 6 months on a visitor visa, and it is entirely up to the decision made by the border officer at the airport when you arrive.

Siouxie Jan 16th 2021 11:22 pm

If your husband is self employed in the film and media industry, he could be your route in to Canada.

Has he considered the self employed route? It includes those industries.. depending on what role he works in, in that industry.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=291&top=6
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html
https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Hie...oj5UCjpg%3D%3D section 5
:)

Social sciences faculty positions, there appear to be more in Ontario than elsewhere in Canada : https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/4683/ca

sushilover Jan 18th 2021 11:48 am

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your advice. Christmas asked for my breakdown, here it is;

Age 60
Level of Education 140
First Official Language Proficiency 128
Spouse - First Official Language Proficiency 16
Education 50
Foreign Work Experience 50

I have booked to fly over in April to stay with my friends and try and make connections - if I can, you never know with the times we are currently in with covid. In the meantime, I am going to try and apply for roles from the UK. I figure getting over there and trying to meet with people in person is my best way of getting lucky.

My husband is definitely up for the self employment route, he always has been self employed here. My understanding through to set up in Canada he would need a substantial amount of money to settle in the first place. We have always been of the view its down to me to secure employment untimately to get in. However, I will pass on those links to him.

I'm off to look at the job bank now - thank you.

christmasoompa Jan 18th 2021 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12960461)
My husband is definitely up for the self employment route, he always has been self employed here. My understanding through to set up in Canada he would need a substantial amount of money to settle in the first place. We have always been of the view its down to me to secure employment untimately to get in. However, I will pass on those links to him.

There is no proof of funds requirements for SE applicants, unlike for EE applicants! So not sure where you're got that from.

If he qualifies, a SE app would be a much better option for you, so get him to look at those links sooner rather than later.

I can't see your visit in April happening tbh, you wouldn't be able to enter under current rules, but just keep an eye on things. Hopefully by then you'll have a better Plan B anyway. :D

Good luck.

christmasoompa Jan 18th 2021 12:53 pm

he only reason I suggest Tims et al is because I’d be totally up for working there if they’d take me on, then allowing me to obtain a work visa.

Just to clarify, it's not just a case of 'taking you on' and that allowing you to obtain a work permit. The employer has to pay $1000, wait months and submit lots of paperwork to prove that they've advertised the job nationally and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. If they do that, they then get a LMIA and that's what allows you to apply for a work permit. Hence why it's highly unlikely a Tims would even consider it.

sushilover Jan 18th 2021 1:16 pm

Thank you - it’s really difficult at the moment to plan anything with covid. I’m hoping by April they will let me in as long as I present a covid negative test. Who knows. Fingers crossed I can. I will have my husband think of using his skills as the main route in, to be honest we hadn’t considered that.

christmasoompa Jan 18th 2021 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12960518)
Thank you - it’s really difficult at the moment to plan anything with covid. I’m hoping by April they will let me in as long as I present a covid negative test. Who knows.

Who knows indeed. At the moment a negative test wouldn't make any difference, you cannot enter Canada at all without PR/citizenship or an exemption (i.e. you have a work permit). But perhaps by then the rules will have changed, all you can do is see if the rules change between now and then. :fingerscrossed:

Siouxie Jan 18th 2021 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12960461)
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your advice. Christmas asked for my breakdown, here it is;

Age 60
Level of Education 140
First Official Language Proficiency 128
Spouse - First Official Language Proficiency 16
Education 50
Foreign Work Experience 50

I have booked to fly over in April to stay with my friends and try and make connections - if I can, you never know with the times we are currently in with covid. In the meantime, I am going to try and apply for roles from the UK. I figure getting over there and trying to meet with people in person is my best way of getting lucky.

I'm off to look at the job bank now - thank you.

What is it he does in the film and media industry? I ask because there is also the BC Tech Pilot, which has some NOC's in that industry.. :)
I missed one off - 5121 Authors and writers
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8f6e9a5c98.jpg
Check the NOC codes to see if any apply to him (drill down) https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...16&CLV=1&MLV=4 and then look at the tech pilot (only open until June 2021) to see if it might work for you :)
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot

sushilover Jan 19th 2021 3:29 pm

He is a Director of Photography / film producer, self employed. The last big thing he did was a live virtual Panto (Covid has resulted in things been done pretty differently in his industry).

Siouxie Jan 19th 2021 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12961180)
He is a Director of Photography / film producer, self employed. The last big thing he did was a live virtual Panto (Covid has resulted in things been done pretty differently in his industry).

That could be NOC 5131 and isn't on the list for BC PNP Tech Pilot.. perhaps check the main duties / descriptions to see if they are a fit or not.
He should stll be able to apply through the self employed route.. or has he considered applying for any jobs here doing that, just to get you in initially? :)
https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...CsGsM3cyovQMdX

Iamabigaillawrence Feb 8th 2021 8:29 pm

Based off these comments does that mean if a work permit is granted before you leave the UK, that you can apply for a Canadian job without the employer having to go through the $1,000 and the rest of the faff?

Siouxie Feb 8th 2021 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Iamabigaillawrence (Post 12969593)
Based off these comments does that mean if a work permit is granted before you leave the UK, that you can apply for a Canadian job without the employer having to go through the $1,000 and the rest of the faff?

If you will have a spousal open work permit then you won't need an LMIA :)