British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   obligatory english a french test (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/obligatory-english-french-test-740520/)

qverq Nov 30th 2011 12:11 pm

obligatory english a french test

It is obligatory for me to prove my English language proficiency if got a license as a psychiatric nurse with the College of psychiatric nurses of BC? i think this requirement is a non sense for all who apply for PR and are non English speakers

christmasoompa Nov 30th 2011 2:14 pm

Re: obligatory english a french test

Originally Posted by qverq (Post 9762495)
It is obligatory for me to prove my English language proficiency if got a license as a psychiatric nurse with the College of psychiatric nurses of BC? i think this requirement is a non sense for all who apply for PR and are non English speakers

I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post. Can you clarify if you are asking about an IELTS exam for a PR application (and if so, which route to PR are you applying under), or to work as a psychiatric nurse in BC?

Silverdragon102 Nov 30th 2011 3:27 pm

Applying to Province college and then applying for immigration are 2 different entities and requirements have to be met. Even people from countries where English is their first language have to sit English to meet requirements that is if English is required. French is the other alternative

TheKellys5 Nov 30th 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 9762639)
Even people from countries where English is their first language have to sit English to meet requirements that is if English is required.

Yep, can vouch for that. IELTS is required for the skilled worker app, even though I am English born and bred lol!! :) If you claim proficiency in French (to gain additional points on your app) then the TEF test is also required to prove your claim (even if you were born in France!).
Madness, maybe, but it's about keeping the riff raff at bay.....mmm, clearly not working cos they letting me in! :P :thumbsup:

scribe123 Nov 30th 2011 5:44 pm

At first you do question the need for people born and bred in a country where English is the first language........ then I come across people who fall into that category and can't communicate for toffee.

You need good communication skills to get a job, therefore to be an economic migrant it's only fair that you prove you have those skills.

When I recruit for software developers I see people are technically perfect, but turn them down because they couldn't communicate to an acceptable level to save their life.

Auld Yin Nov 30th 2011 5:50 pm

The Canadian Government doesn't give a flying fig what you think. If you wish to immigrate/work here then that's the deal.

Almost Canadian Nov 30th 2011 8:12 pm

Read your post again and then decide whether it really is terrible for people to have to prove their proficiency with English:p

RKS_in_Calgary Dec 1st 2011 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9763178)
Read your post again and then decide whether it really is terrible for people to have to prove their proficiency with English:p

QED!!

(just in case there is any confusion, I agreed with Almost Canadian and the OP eloquently demonstrated this! (and no, I can't spell!))

scribe123 Dec 1st 2011 6:44 am

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary (Post 9763712)
....and no, I can't spell!

LOL, nor can I.

I class heavy use of the F7 key as part of being a good communicator :) Also, my spelling has greatly improved since i configured my browsers to underline bad spelling.

RKS_in_Calgary Dec 1st 2011 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by chrisparr (Post 9764015)
LOL, nor can I.

I class heavy use of the F7 key as part of being a good communicator :) Also, my spelling has greatly improved since i configured my browsers to underline bad spelling.

how do you do that then? I love spell check but never knew that you could get your browser to do this!!

scribe123 Dec 2nd 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary (Post 9765172)
how do you do that then? I love spell check but never knew that you could get your browser to do this!!

In firefox it's:

Options > Advanced > General > and tick "Check spelling as I type"

You may have to install a UK dictionary (if that's what you want).

I think my Safari install does it by default, and it's the same at work with IE8 although that install wasn't done my myself and the network guys control most of the settings.

RKS_in_Calgary Dec 2nd 2011 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by chrisparr (Post 9766084)
In firefox it's:

Options > Advanced > General > and tick "Check spelling as I type"

You may have to install a UK dictionary (if that's what you want).

I think my Safari install does it by default, and it's the same at work with IE8 although that install wasn't done my myself and the network guys control most of the settings.

I'm on IE so will check it out - thanks for the head's up