Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

O Canada, Health Care Myths from the Great White North-Karen S. Palmer MPH, MS,

O Canada, Health Care Myths from the Great White North-Karen S. Palmer MPH, MS,

Old Jun 13th 2001, 11:43 am
Jagzeur

I thought you might want to read this article. Seems to give an interesting
perspective on health care in Canada.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/He...Canada_KP.html

Excerpts: "UNIVERSALITY: Everyone who is a legal resident of Canada is entitled to
the same health care. You don"t even have to be a citizen, just a legal resident.
When you are born, you registered in your province and you get a health care card. If
you legally move to Canada from somewhere else, you are entitled to health care.
Everyone who is a legal resident has a health care card.... .

Interestingly, Ontario recently went through the expense of making everyone get
picture ID"s to stem the problem of Americans coming across the border and borrowing
health care cards. A few years ago, there were more health care cards in existence in
New Brunswick than there were legal residents of the province. It turns out that
folks from Maine were going to Canada for care with fake health care cards......

The average after-tax and after-transfer income of Canadian workers is equal to about
82% of their gross pay as compared to the OECD average of 85%, and the US average
which is .1% lower than Canada! Most surprising is that despite shouldering a
slightly higher overall tax load than Americans, Canadian workers at the end of the
day enjoy about the same share of their gross pay as their southern neighbors. And of
course, Canadians are arguably even better off because they have already paid for the
costs of medical care in taxes (which may have to be borne privately by American
families if they are among the 44 million individuals without health care coverage or
among the insured who pay co-pays, deductibles, and premiums.) "

Old Jun 14th 2001, 6:28 am
Gary L. Dare

Most surprising is that despite shouldering a slightly higher overall
    >
    >

Income taxes are similar to the dozen highest-taxed states, sales taxes about double
but property taxes lower and cost of living (and salary scale) like the US
north-central mid- west (in local dollars).

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jun 14th 2001, 1:09 pm
Simson Alex

I am interested in comparing the disposable incomes between US and Canada. Generally
speaking, in big cities, you get paid more and you spend more as well. And the
opposite is true in smaller cities or semi-rural places. So, the disposable income
(what is left after all expenses are paid, what can be put into a saving account) may
be comparable in these two cases even if the absolute numbers in salary are very
different.

Can someone shed some light on this for a city each in US and Canada? I know this
depends on which city you pick. My wife, son and I live in Boston on US$75K. Well, my
wife and I are postdocs, so we get paid pittance . Boston is expensive and we live
in matchbox sized apartments and pay huge rents. Childcare is up the wazoo. We,
however, end up with about $600-700 disposable income.

How would this compare with Ottawa, where we intend to go, and hopefully both my wife
and I would find reasonable paying jobs (Maybe C$50K total?).

Thanks Simson

"Gary L. Dare" wrote:
    >

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >