Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

O! Canada, This great land of double standards

O! Canada, This great land of double standards

Old Mar 18th 2002, 3:35 pm
Enigmacmpr

Default O! Canada, This great land of double standards

Greetings All,

I have been following the Job debate and whether Canada owes us new
immigrants anything.

The point I have to make is that Canada does owe us a fair shake. We are not looking
for handouts. We are not standing at the street corners with begging bowls in hand.

When we cry "Foul!!", we are told to stop whining and go clean toilet bowls. The
reality is that there are different strokes for different folks. Biggest example
"Pelle and Sallatier". Hey the judges called them in for "Silver" and the whole
freaking country goes ballistic. I did'nt see anybody say "Stop whining, that is the
way the cookie crumbled". Go back and practice and try again. If you can't cut it, go
clean toilet bowls. NOOOOOOOO! They deserved "GOLD".

Well that is exactly what we are saying. "WE DESERVE A FAIR SHAKE"

If this double standards continue unabated, it does not portend well for Canada. The
following may sound cliched,but they contain a grain of truth. "What goes around,
comes around" "As you sow, so shall you reap"

It only takes a pebble to cause ripples in a pond.

regards,

enigma

Old Mar 18th 2002, 7:35 pm
Blindog

Default Re: O! Canada, This great land of double standards

I don't think anyone should tell PhD's to clean toilet bowls. I have certainly never
posted anything even close to that suggestion. What I have said in a couple of posts
is this: There is no case to be made for Canada (as a country, or as a legal system)
"owing" anything to anybody. It is up to each individual to weigh all the choices, do
the research, travel to Canada before immigrating. If, after all that, it indeed
boils down to cleaning toilet bowls or leaving, I think the choice is clear.

Having said that - without a doubt there is room for improvement in the immigration
system. And ideed, it is being tweaked all the time. There is no question that times
are quite difficult for immigrants (even though as a class they are now more highly
skilled than ever before). Still, the options remain as clear as ever: remaining and
retraining [possibly starting at the bottom rung of the ladder], returning to the
country of origin or going to a third country. I mean, realistically, what else is
there? Staying and driving onself deeper into depression?

As for the gold medal fracas - I don't think you heard Sale and Pelletier whine one
single time - not once! There was a percieved bias, a complaint was lodged and a gold
medal resulted as a belated recognition of that bias. Throughout all this, Sale and
Pelletier remained calm and never complained once about "only" getting the silver.
There is no basis for comparison between that case and an immigrant's dissatisfaction
with Canada.

Just as an aside - in the first few years complaints against the adopted country and
against the "system" are very common among any group of expats anywhere - be it
Americans living in London or Hungarians living in Australia.

Best of luck, George

"Enigmacmpr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings All,
    >
    > I have been following the Job debate and whether Canada owes us new immigrants
    > anything.
    >
    > The point I have to make is that Canada does owe us a fair shake. We are not
    > looking for handouts. We are not standing at the street corners with begging bowls
    > in hand.
    >
    > When we cry "Foul!!", we are told to stop whining and go clean toilet bowls. The
    > reality is that there are different strokes for different folks. Biggest example
    > "Pelle and Sallatier". Hey the judges called them in for "Silver" and the whole
    > freaking country goes ballistic. I did'nt see anybody say "Stop whining, that is
    > the way the cookie crumbled". Go back and practice and try again. If you can't cut
    > it, go clean toilet bowls. NOOOOOOOO! They deserved "GOLD".
    >
    > Well that is exactly what we are saying. "WE DESERVE A FAIR SHAKE"
    >
    > If this double standards continue unabated, it does not portend well for Canada.
    > The following may sound cliched,but they contain a grain of truth. "What goes
    > around, comes around" "As you sow, so shall you reap"
    >
    > It only takes a pebble to cause ripples in a pond.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > enigma

Old Mar 18th 2002, 8:35 pm
Chorbalan

blindog wrote:

>
    > Just as an aside - in the first few years complaints against the adopted country
    > and against the "system" are very common among any group of expats anywhere - be it
    > Americans living in London or Hungarians living in Australia.

I didn't have any complaints in my 3+ years in Switzerland, unfortunately obtaining
PR status is VERY difficult. But if I had the choice...

Old Mar 19th 2002, 11:35 am
Berto Volpentes

Actually, it was the Americans who caused the biggest stink. If it were = up to
Canadians, we would have just accepted the judges ruling.

But, I am not too sure Canada owes anyone anything. "Ask not what your = country can
do for you, but what you can do for your country." To = borrow from our American
friends again.

I believe most immigrants since the begining came to Canada (any new = land for that
matter) expecting the better life. Trouble is that in = these days of instant
everything, if the better life doesn't start on = day one, we look for someone to
blame, someone to sue for duping us, = cheating us, not giving us a break or giving
us hot coffee when we asked = for hot coffee.

The experience of my parents and that of most of the immigrants of = generations past
is probably best summed up by in book on the experience = of one Italian family
(sorry to author but can't remember the title), it = goes somthing like this:

"We had dreams of coming to America (Canada was known as America to = immigrants)
where the streets were paved in gold. When we got there, = we found there were no
golden streets. In fact the streets were not = paved. And, more, we were expected to
pave them."

And still, many who to this day say they would return to their home = country, do
not. They have stayed because they see the benefit to their = children.

They were willing to wait generations. Unfortunately, we will wait only = minutes
after landing.

--=20 Good luck,

All opinions expressed are IMHO, not anyone else's

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

"Enigmacmpr" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings All,
    >=20
    > I have been following the Job debate and whether Canada owes us new immigrants
    > anything.
    >=20
    > The point I have to make is that Canada does owe us a fair shake. We are not
    > looking for handouts. We are not standing at the street corners with begging bowls
    > in hand.
    >=20
    > When we cry "Foul!!", we are told to stop whining and go clean toilet bowls. The
    > reality is that there are different strokes for different folks. Biggest example
    > "Pelle and Sallatier". Hey the judges called them in for "Silver" and the whole
    > freaking country goes ballistic. I did'nt see anybody say "Stop whining, that is
    > the way the cookie crumbled". Go back and practice and try again. If you can't cut
    > it, go clean toilet bowls. NOOOOOOOO! They deserved "GOLD".
    >=20
    > Well that is exactly what we are saying. "WE DESERVE A FAIR SHAKE"
    >=20
    > If this double standards continue unabated, it does not portend well for Canada.
    > The following may sound cliched,but they contain a grain of truth. "What goes
    > around, comes around" "As you sow, so shall you reap"
    >=20
    > It only takes a pebble to cause ripples in a pond.=20
    >=20
    > regards,
    >=20
    > enigma

Old Mar 19th 2002, 7:06 pm
X User

>As for the gold medal fracas - I don't think you heard Sale and Pelletier whine
    >one single time - not once! There was a percieved bias, a complaint was lodged and
    >a gold medal resulted as a belated recognition of that bias. Throughout all this,
    >Sale and Pelletier remained calm and never complained once about "only" getting
    >the silver.

The whole thing about their "gold" is plain farce. Whether they did whine or not -
pretty subjective. They did behave in such a way that half of people would call it
whining. Whether they did deserve gold in the first place remains unknown, but is a
possibility though. Remember they lost first day?

>There is no basis for comparison between that case and an immigrant's
    >dissatisfaction with Canada.

Well, this is very true. Where I'm dissatisfied is that Canada has such people as
Sale and Pelletier.

Regards.

Old Mar 20th 2002, 7:05 am
Josh

"Berto Volpentesta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .

> Actually, it was the Americans who caused the biggest stink. If it were up to
    > Canadians, we would have just accepted the judges ruling.
    >

Yeah Right!, You reiterate the fact again - Canadian favourite pass time is Curse USA
for everything and if you can't curse USA then blame immigrants.

>As for the gold medal fracas - I don't think you heard Sale and
Pelletier
    >whine one single time - not once! There was a percieved bias, a
complaint
    >was lodged and a gold medal resulted as a belated recognition of that
bias.
    >Throughout all this, Sale and Pelletier remained calm and never
complained
    >once about "only" getting the silver.

They never got the chance to whine (not that they would have whined), rest of the
Canada took care of that. BTW, They are great players and CANADIAN .