Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NS PNP CI stream reference letters

NS PNP CI stream reference letters

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default NS PNP CI stream reference letters

Hi, I'm really unsure how to go about getting the references required for the community identified stream. I have a house in Nova Scotia already & know a few people but they are more like acquaintances than friends who have worked on my house. I'm worried they might find it strange if I ask them & don't really know how to approach the subject. Also is there any guidelines I can give them as to what to put in the reference, I was told there are templates for the letters but haven't been able to find any. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NS PNP CI stream reference letters

I haven't seen any template, but maybe someone else will come along who has.

We requested letters of support after we returned home to the UK, via "chirpy" emails, but we had already asked them verbally on our last visit to NS. Those who were happy to provide letters did so - those who weren't comfortable with it didn't. We submitted 5. I know of others who submitted many more, but we both got supported by our RDA and subsequently nominated, so I don't think there is much benefit to getting zillions. Having said that, things seem to be tightening up more and more, so I guess the more you can get the better, and of good quality.

We were asked that the "supporter" provide a signed letter of support, which included:

How they met us
How they think we will fit in as residents in the chosen area

This included them stating a bit about our background, our plans for the future, what we did for work, how we would fit in with the community (eg our lifestyle) etc.

The RDA wants to know that you can find work and that you will fit in with the local community - and be as sure as they can be that you will stay there.

You already have a head start there, as you have a house.

Last edited by Kaye5; Aug 21st 2012 at 10:37 am.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I still don't understand how they can write about how well you will fit in if they don't know you very well. I know if someone had asked the same from me I would find it a bit bizzare & quite daunting. How did you approach them with it, were they just people you met while on your trip?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Thanks. I still don't understand how they can write about how well you will fit in if they don't know you very well. I know if someone had asked the same from me I would find it a bit bizzare & quite daunting. How did you approach them with it, were they just people you met while on your trip?
They were people we had met on our visits there, had got on well with and had kept in touch with. The people who provide the letters should know your background and your future plans - this was something we had discussed with them. You might have to do a little "networking" and/or strengthen your ties with those acquaintances! It doesn't matter "who" they are, but that they can back up what you say in your letter of intent. So, as an example, if you have known your plumber for a while, you have probably mentioned to him your background and plans for the future, which should fit in with the location you want to settle in (might not work if you have told him you're an oilman who's dream is to settle in Alberta ).

Which RDA are you going through? They should guide you through the process.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Annapolis Digby, we have a meeting booked with them while we are out there but not until towards the end of our trip
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know them - we are through Lunenburg & Queens.

But that's good - sounds like you have time to meet more people in your locality and get them on board before you meet with the RDA.

It really is all about making contacts and getting to know people - it is about the community after all.
  • What about your neighbours, as a starting point?
  • Our network expanded through friends of friends.
  • See if there are any Brits on here in your area, willing to hook up with you while you are out there this trip.
  • Attend community events.
  • Speak to potential employers (very good if you can get a letter from one of these)
  • Might not be your thing, but if it is, then attend the local church.
  • Get chatting to people anywhere and everywhere - shops, gas stations, bars, tourist info booths - anywhere you visit - it might not all pay off in letters of support, but all starting points for building a network that will be useful when you move there to live.

These are just suggestions, but you get the idea. It is easier if you are a naturally chatty person and aren't afraid to talk to strangers. Not always easy for reserved Brits, I know.

Good luck networking and enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Annapolis Digby, we have a meeting booked with them while we are out there but not until towards the end of our trip
Originally Posted by Kaye5
[*]See if there are any Brits on here in your area, willing to hook up with you while you are out there this trip.
We're about 70km south of Digby, not far from Yarmouth. I know a few Brits in the Digby area if you want maybe we could all meet up? When are you coming over?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

newharbour is an unknown quantity at this point

Kaye5,

Thanks for answering confuseduk, it helps me too as I'm in the same situation, and I am also about to approach L&Q RDA. If I may; Who did you deal with? How many letters did they want? How many visits did they say you have to make? And how long did the process take?

I've bought a house near Blandford, between (hubbards and chester), know any brits there who might be up for a chat with a view to a letter of support?

Last edited by newharbour; Aug 22nd 2012 at 12:28 pm. Reason: Add question.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by newharbour
Kaye5,

Thanks for answering confuseduk, it helps me too as I'm in the same situation, and I am also about to approach L&Q RDA. If I may; Who did you deal with? How many letters did they want? How many visits did they say you have to make? And how long did the process take?

I've bought a house near Blandford, between (hubbards and chester), know any brits there who might be up for a chat with a view to a letter of support?
I like Blandford beach!

I would suggest you post a "meet up" thread of your own to ask who is in the south shore area.

Anne Fownes is the current immigration navigator - her details should be on the website. Be aware that requirements can change, so what was required of us might be different now. We had made 3 visits to Canada - 2 to the south shore. They wanted a minimum of 4-5 support letters. See timeline for how long it takes!

Something that wasn't asked of us, but was asked of later applicants was third party evidence of their search for work, and employment prospects.

Last edited by Kaye5; Aug 22nd 2012 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Add info
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

newharbour is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kaye, will do.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We're about 70km south of Digby, not far from Yarmouth. I know a few Brits in the Digby area if you want maybe we could all meet up? When are you coming over?
Sorry I've only just seen your post, we would have loved to meet up but unfortunately we are back now. We did manage to get 3 letters of reference in the end. How are things in Yarmouth, I've not been to that part yet, I've heard things are a bit bleak since the ferry went, it's not been great for Annapolis either.

Last edited by confused_uk; Nov 7th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I've only just seen your post, we would have loved to meet up but unfortunately we are back now. We did manage to get 3 letters of reference in the end. How are things in Yarmouth, I've not been to that part yet, I've heard things are a bit bleak since the ferry went, it's not been great for Annapolis either.
Never mind... next time

Things might be looking up. There are some positive vibes about the ferry coming back but time will tell. How was your trip?
Have you decided where you want to be?