Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NS CIS- Caution and URGENT advice needed

NS CIS- Caution and URGENT advice needed

Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default NS CIS- Caution and URGENT advice needed

So I came through the NS CIS no problem, as did 2 sets of friends of ours all living locally.

However, another friend here is not being so lucky. Her story:

She applied to Community Identified in March last year when she was over on a reccie. Saw a development agency person in our neck of the woods who told her she needed to establish more ties etc etc but she would be ideal, young, single, a care worker etc et.

So on the strength of that, she took a risk, bought a house over here and came on her six month visitors visa to establish the all important ties. She volunteered, got in with the community, did all she had to do and all was fine.
(I kNOW it was a big risk, as did she, but how else to get ties to the community ?)

So for her second interview, this time in Halifax with immigration. Here she is told her two NVQ's might not class as the necessary educational level, they will review her file and get back to her. She rang the development agency to see what was going on as they had said her NVQ's were fine. Lady who interviewed her had been "moved to other tasks"

She got an email December to tell her her NVQ's were not enough. If she could get a full time offer of employment at a set skill level by Jan 15th, they would move her from CI, for which she was no longer eligible, to skilled worker and expediate the LMO. Que frenzied activity for a few weeks, but we called in all our contacts and got her the job. Great.

She applied for an extension to her visitors visa, for which she got back a letter on Friday saying it was not beng extended as there was no evidence she would leave the country at the end of it (she had been honest and explained about waiting for her work permit from Halifax in the application) SO she now has to leave the country immediately.

Halifax said they expect a positive outcome on her work permit very soon, but of course she cannot activate it as she does not currently have a right to be here.

So she is leaving so that she can (hopefully) get back in on another visitors visa whilst Halifax get sorted. To the advice please,

Does she have to fly somewhere, or can she go to a border crossing? Will they be more likely to refuse her if she explains the situation? She really can't afford plane tickets, she will get them if she must, but is there someone who had to leave due to visitors visa who can offer advice.

Thanks for reading, hope to get some good avice very soon!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:13 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NS CIS- Caution and URGENT advice needed

Sorry, I hope your mate sorts it all out etc..... although, she can afford to buy a house, be jobless for 6 months but she cant afford, what, $1000 on plane tickets?
C'mon....
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point

can she afford a cheap hotel in the states for a bit? as long as shes off Canadian land its ok i would guess. but a strong warning for her to leave within her time limit if she really wants PR in Canada.

EDIT: i should point out im no expert in this or never heard of this problem before.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:24 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

sorry not really sure re what could happen here, she is in theory able to cross the border somewhere and look to re enter, dont think she has to get on a plane specifically.

The possible issue I see is that when returning in to Canada, I am sure it will come up on her records that she has already applied for a visitors visa and been refused. I think there could be issues of being able to get back into Canada at the moment.

In order to protect her PR for the future, I personally would think that she may have to go and stay out of the country until the LMO comes through, and then return with a request for a WP with the LMO in hand etc.

Really dont know, hopefully one of the experts will be along to advise,
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the responses. More changes today -

She has booked a 1 way plane ticket out to UK, she didn't know what else to do, at least she can stay with her dad for a couple of weeks. Cost $1200 . Then she needs to book a return ticket back, probably not use return bit but that will still be at least $1200 more, as she is so close to flight times. That is why she is struggling to afford it, she is just about out of money.

Anyway, we have got through that bit.

She got a call from Halifax immigration today to say they have her nomination form and TWP, which we will courier to her in England as it will not be ready to collect from Halifax before she goes tomorrow.

Thing is, they have said since she will be working with food she needs a medical to activate her TWP. This is different to her actual medical as will be requested by CIC London.

Does anyone know about this sort of medical? Can she just go to her old doctor whilst she is in the UK or does it need to be a Canadian doctor?

Any more helpful advice would be really gratefully received!

Thanks so much guys
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Thanks for the responses. More changes today -

She has booked a 1 way plane ticket out to UK, she didn't know what else to do, at least she can stay with her dad for a couple of weeks. Cost $1200 . Then she needs to book a return ticket back, probably not use return bit but that will still be at least $1200 more, as she is so close to flight times. That is why she is struggling to afford it, she is just about out of money.

Anyway, we have got through that bit.

She got a call from Halifax immigration today to say they have her nomination form and TWP, which we will courier to her in England as it will not be ready to collect from Halifax before she goes tomorrow.

Thing is, they have said since she will be working with food she needs a medical to activate her TWP. This is different to her actual medical as will be requested by CIC London.

Does anyone know about this sort of medical? Can she just go to her old doctor whilst she is in the UK or does it need to be a Canadian doctor?

Any more helpful advice would be really gratefully received!

Thanks so much guys
Nope she has to have a medical exam by a DMP in the UK (or anywhere in the world for that matter) http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medical.aspx She will also have to wait for London to send out the medical forms.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks PMM, that's what I thought, but she said Halifax immigration emailed her today to say she has to have 2 medicals - one to activate her TWP as she is working with food, and then London will request the DMP one once they process her forms (which incidentally are with Halifax right now, she only got nominated today, not even sent to London yet)

I hadn't heard of this first medical before. Having said that, she is so stressed right now, she told me this morning that Halifax had said she had to go to CIC London to have a medical. I had to explain she had it wrong, that is the processing centre!

I hope she has this right, she doesn't need to add to her troubles anymore!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Thanks PMM, that's what I thought, but she said Halifax immigration emailed her today to say she has to have 2 medicals - one to activate her TWP as she is working with food, and then London will request the DMP one once they process her forms (which incidentally are with Halifax right now, she only got nominated today, not even sent to London yet)

I hadn't heard of this first medical before. Having said that, she is so stressed right now, she told me this morning that Halifax had said she had to go to CIC London to have a medical. I had to explain she had it wrong, that is the processing centre!

I hope she has this right, she doesn't need to add to her troubles anymore!
1. She has to have a medical for the TWP, which London will send out the forms.
2. She will probably have to have a second medical when her PR application reaches that stage, as the first one will probably be expired, again the processing office will send out the forms.

PMM
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

That makes sense - thans so much PMM really appreciate it x