Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London

Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:24 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Question Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London

Hi,

I read in one thread (can't remember which), that notorisation can be done by anyone who is on the list to countersign a passport. Is this true in the UK?

I was hoping that a Local Government Official could do this for us. If this is possible what do they need to do/write?

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:09 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default Re: Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi,

I read in one thread (can't remember which), that notorisation can be done by anyone who is on the list to countersign a passport. Is this true in the UK?

I was hoping that a Local Government Official could do this for us. If this is possible what do they need to do/write?

Thanks
we contacted an immigration lawer in the UK - found one in the Nottingham where we work. They said they normally work for people getting into the country but were happy to take money off us for the job - simply a case of seeing the originals and making copies - wouldnt accept the copies I took because they said they would have to check that there had been no tampering with them. Didnt cost that much either - cost more to get original copies from exam boards than it did for them to take copies.

hope this helps.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:50 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Re: Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London. Experts?

Do any of the experts know?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Notorised Copies for Applications sent to London

Hi,

Thanks
Any notary can do the job, it cost us about £30.00 to get them to copy and sign the relevant documents, we found a good notary in Golders green on our way to the last emigrate show, check yellow pages
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

majb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Notary publics are your best bet. They have special stamps and know exactly what to write themselves. There are ususally a few of them in each city. Check the Yellow Pages and shop around. Based on my experience, their charges could vary from around £50 per set of documents to £50 per document!

majb
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Use a Public Notary, you should be able to find one in the yellow pages. All they do is put a special stamp and staple through the copies and charge you a fortune for it. It's worth doing to be on the safe side.

Hi,

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 2:36 am
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough

Any Solicitor, Local Government official,Doctor etc can notorize your copies,just make sure you take the originals with you.My sister-in-law who's a solicitor did ours (for FREE lucky eh!).
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:32 am
Moved from Chester UK

Originally Posted by SpeC
Any Solicitor, Local Government official,Doctor etc can notorize your copies,just make sure you take the originals with you.My sister-in-law who's a solicitor did ours (for FREE lucky eh!).
That's why I was asking about a Local Government officer, I was going to ask a friend.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:42 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Definition below may help understand what a notary is!

Local Government officer will not do. ( My husband is one, and no power to do that sort of thing)
Link below may find notary in your area
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/ Its where I found mine.

What is the difference between a “certified� and a “notarized� document ?

The distinction between these two separate concepts is often the cause of confusion. A "certified copy" is a copy of a document or record signed and certified as a true copy by the officer to whose custody the original is entrusted. Typically the officer referred to above, would be a licensed attorney or government official clerk.

On the other hand, the definition of "notary public" who would notarize a document is defined in far greater detail:

"A public officer whose function it is to administer oaths; to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in foreign jurisdictions; to take acknowledgements of deeds and other conveyances, and certify the same, and to perform certain official acts, chiefly in commercial matters, such as the protesting of notes and bills, the noting of foreign drafts, and marine protests in cases of loss or damage. One who is authorized by the state or federal government to administer oaths, and to attest to the authenticity of signatures."

On another forum a lady who went ot the emigrate show at Sandown was told by immigration that UK citizens do not need to have all documents notorised! HOWEVER, as I read it is says notarise on the checklist, and I was not going to do anything that caused delay.
It cost me £150! He was the cheapest.The guy had no idea what he had to do until we told him, he'd never been asked to notorise so many copies. ( We live in Dorset! - nobody emigrates here, most think they have emigrated if they leave the county!)

That's why I was asking about a Local Government officer, I was going to ask a friend.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:00 am
Moved from Chester UK

Thanks Gooding
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Hi

I got my documents ceritfied by a solicitor. I phoned up CIC in London to ask who could notarise the copies for me as I was going to ask a JP. They said that a solicitor or JP (i.e. magistrate) would be OK.

There seems to be confusion as different things are called differently in the UK and Canada.

Hope this helps...
C

Originally Posted by gooding
Definition below may help understand what a notary is!

Local Government officer will not do. ( My husband is one, and no power to do that sort of thing)
Link below may find notary in your area
http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/ Its where I found mine.

What is the difference between a “certified� and a “notarized� document ?

The distinction between these two separate concepts is often the cause of confusion. A "certified copy" is a copy of a document or record signed and certified as a true copy by the officer to whose custody the original is entrusted. Typically the officer referred to above, would be a licensed attorney or government official clerk.

On the other hand, the definition of "notary public" who would notarize a document is defined in far greater detail:

"A public officer whose function it is to administer oaths; to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in foreign jurisdictions; to take acknowledgements of deeds and other conveyances, and certify the same, and to perform certain official acts, chiefly in commercial matters, such as the protesting of notes and bills, the noting of foreign drafts, and marine protests in cases of loss or damage. One who is authorized by the state or federal government to administer oaths, and to attest to the authenticity of signatures."

On another forum a lady who went ot the emigrate show at Sandown was told by immigration that UK citizens do not need to have all documents notorised! HOWEVER, as I read it is says notarise on the checklist, and I was not going to do anything that caused delay.
It cost me £150! He was the cheapest.The guy had no idea what he had to do until we told him, he'd never been asked to notorise so many copies. ( We live in Dorset! - nobody emigrates here, most think they have emigrated if they leave the county!)
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding
'Notarise' as used by in CIC documentation may be a generic term.

It's important to check what CIC London *exactly* require before spending a fortune on a notary when certification by a solicitor or JP will do.

Jeremy