notary confussion help

Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

tom thumb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default notary confussion help

As i understand it the official has to be a selected notary.There is only one in bradford u.k and it cost 300 pounds for him to do it.If i get all originals it would only cost half as much.Has anyone ever used a priest,doctor or teacher to netorize,and was it o.k?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

wingz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: notary confussion help

I personally wouldn't risk it. I know some people who said they used lay preachers and such on this board, but did CIC accept their documents? If you want to avoid any possible reason to send your app back, then get a notary public. That was my feeling. Why risk anything going wrong to lose you time? Points may rise, as they say!

I too was sceptical after talking to one or two notaries who wanted 120-160 pounds GBP for my 77 pages of documents, and up to two weeks!! Then I found a great one in a town I had to drive 60 miles to and from but who took one day and only charged 60 pounds and was very, very fair. Some of those guys just want to rip you off and say it's a hard job but it only involved rubber stamping, signing and using an embossing machine..how hard is that. But my question is, can a lay preacher do that?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I took mine to Local Magistrates court all 120 pages free of charge
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

wingz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am curious if CIC accepted it though, did you get PR? AOR?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mike Gas
I am waiting to find out today to see if another solicitor can do it as he quoted half the amount.Cannot help but notice your name,anything to do with gas industry or just nickname?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Yes I am a Gas Service Engineer would not have fault you could find much better than a magistrate to notarise you documents I think they have to do them if asked we have friends that have already landed and they also did it this way
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

I am having a bit of luck today.My son knows a solicitor who is going to do them for a few beers.After he has notorized them.I am a gas eng as well.My next task is to get my city and guilds evaluated for canada.I think that there is an exam to get to allow work on gas which is equal to our nacs/btec.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’m not going to continue in my present occupation once ( if ) we get to Canada I have now done 23 years time for a change we intend moving to Vancouver Island.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

I am thinking on those lines as I have done 21 years bg and 7 at another company.Getting a bit fed up of it now.Not sure where to go yet.But first the long wait to see if we can go.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep I did 8 years BG 10 Potterton and the rest running my own business this has what has really given me the funds to do something different
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:20 pm
Photographer and climber

BaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice Mike. I will try this tomorrow.

Today I called a local Notary (only 2) in Halifax, the secretary told me charges would be approx £60+VAT per item.
11 items... arrgh!

It seems that all the messages posted on this forum about this subject seem to suggest that "Certified Copies" are all that are required. Fancy ribbons and stamps etc seem to be a bit excessive.

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:29 pm
Photographer and climber

BaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant futureBaldCoder has a brilliant future

I rang the local magistrate's court and they were very helpful. The lady in the Service department has had lots of Magistrates certify copies of documents.

So I went to the court, just before the lunch break, after the magistrate had signed the forms and had a chat, the nice lady rubber stamped a 'crown' and the local justices' office name and address. Job done in half an hour!

She even gave me an envelope.

The cost was £8.50 per item/signature. This is a standard price for all Magistrates in West Yorkshire, she did say they used to be free. Presumably until all these people started leaving the UK.

The lady said you could get a Commisioner for Oaths to certify copies, your local Solicitors generally do this, often for a fixed price.

Last edited by BaldCoder; Sep 10th 2004 at 1:34 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

retrobloke is on a distinguished road

I used a local Notary Public (Hartlepool) who did all our documents (40 odd). It took him less than 30 minutes and the charge was £37. Excellent value after reading above.

BTW. I am in the gas industry, 15 years with BG and NGT. Now looking to move to Vancouver Island.

Retrobloke
Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Default hi retro

i was at bg 22 yrs.now a quality control at a contractor to local council for last7 yrs.all my life a gas fitter.Went in job center in ontario to find out about the job over there but they didn`t know much.Refered me to a college.Top and bottom of it is my c+g are pretty much useless.You more or less have to start again.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: hi retro

Seeing that this seems to be a Gas Fitters reunion ill ad my two penny’s worth I did eight years with BG Ten With Potterton and six years self employed, Are you guys intending to carry on Gas Fitting in Canada, I am going to do some think different although I don’t know what yet. Did you manage to get a reference from BG for your application I Left them sixteen years ago and they told me they only have 6 years of records kept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.