Notarized Fingerprint

Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:00 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Notarized Fingerprint

Anybody has some experience with obtaining fingerprints to be sent overseas for a police certificate? In order for me to get a police certificate from the UAE, I have to send them a set of fingerprints attested by the US Department of State and the UAE Embassy in Washington, DC. The US Department of State requires that the Secretary of State in which I reside in attests the set of finger prints. The Secretary of State office requires that the fingerprints be notarized. I called several police stations here in Washington State, and everytime I ask if I can get them to notarize my fingerprints, they talk to me like a mad man

Anybody with a similar situation?

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Bryan Kellar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Notarized Fingerprint

Originally posted by MJ23
Anybody has some experience with obtaining fingerprints to be sent overseas for a police certificate? In order for me to get a police certificate from the UAE, I have to send them a set of fingerprints attested by the US Department of State and the UAE Embassy in Washington, DC. The US Department of State requires that the Secretary of State in which I reside in attests the set of finger prints. The Secretary of State office requires that the fingerprints be notarized. I called several police stations here in Washington State, and everytime I ask if I can get them to notarize my fingerprints, they talk to me like a mad man

Anybody with a similar situation?

Thanks
I don't have a similar situation, but I think I see what is going on.

Here is the process you are describing from the other direction, the one that the people you will actually meet will be dealing with:

-- The police will be able to take your fingerprints. That just about ends what they can do.

-- The Secretary of State can authenticate the signature of any Notary Public in the state. When they get any document signed by a Notary Public, they can check the signature against their records. Many foreign governments require a certificate called an Apostille, which authenticates the signature. You get this from the Secretary of State in Olympia, more info at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/apostilles

-- So, the Secretary of State needs you to have the fingerprints signed by a notary. But they can't just stamp it. What the notary is doing is witnessing you sign a statement that the fingerprints are yours, preferably attached to the fingerprint card. So there needs to be some place on it for the notary to sign saying that you say those are your fingerprints. The notary witnesses your signature, the SOS attests to the notary's signature. (You will likely need a notary who knows what they are doing -- this is outside the realm of the usual day-to-day stuff.)

Hope that helps. If you have other questions, please ask!

Bryan (A notary public in Oregon, but the rules are about the same)
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:10 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Notarized Fingerprint

Originally posted by Bryan Kellar
I don't have a similar situation, but I think I see what is going on.

Here is the process you are describing from the other direction, the one that the people you will actually meet will be dealing with:

-- The police will be able to take your fingerprints. That just about ends what they can do.

-- The Secretary of State can authenticate the signature of any Notary Public in the state. When they get any document signed by a Notary Public, they can check the signature against their records. Many foreign governments require a certificate called an Apostille, which authenticates the signature. You get this from the Secretary of State in Olympia, more info at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/apostilles

-- So, the Secretary of State needs you to have the fingerprints signed by a notary. But they can't just stamp it. What the notary is doing is witnessing you sign a statement that the fingerprints are yours, preferably attached to the fingerprint card. So there needs to be some place on it for the notary to sign saying that you say those are your fingerprints. The notary witnesses your signature, the SOS attests to the notary's signature. (You will likely need a notary who knows what they are doing -- this is outside the realm of the usual day-to-day stuff.)

Hope that helps. If you have other questions, please ask!

Bryan (A notary public in Oregon, but the rules are about the same)

Thanks for your reply! It's almost funny when I see the response on people's faces when I start describing to them what I want. I think you are right, they key is finding a notary public who will have an open mind to the situation.

Thanks again