Notarization vs. Certification

Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Madhuba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notarization vs. Certification

I there a difference between having documents notarized versus having them certified (by a lawyer) as true copies?

The buffalo document checklist asks for notarized employment contracts, letters etc but I've seen other places where it asks for certified copies of documents. Is there a difference between the two and is the CIC indifferent between the two?

Madhuba
Old Jun 17th 2004, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Notarization vs. Certification

Hi Madhuba,
I can't really answer your question exactly but I think it may help to have a look at this:

http://www.globalvisasolutions.com/n...e&articleid=48

I have the same question and even though this website doesn't talk specifically about Canada I think that for this case it's the same. Let me know what you think.

Spas
Old Jun 18th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Madhuba is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks spas.

It clearly explains the difference between the two, but as you noted doesn't state whether CIC is indifferent between them. The reason I was asking was because I had the contract for my current employment certified rather than notarized. I guess it's not an issue since I accompanied it with an original letter of employment, and, in any case, they'll most likely ask me for an updated one anyway when they assess the file in a few weeks.

Madhuba
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally posted by Madhuba
I there a difference between having documents notarized versus having them certified (by a lawyer) as true copies?

The buffalo document checklist asks for notarized employment contracts, letters etc but I've seen other places where it asks for certified copies of documents. Is there a difference between the two and is the CIC indifferent between the two?

Madhuba
Yes, as you are probably aware you notorisation requires a different qualification.

My understanding is that everything has to be notarised. Certified applies if you are providing translations then the translated document has to be certifed as a true translation but with a notarised copy of the original.

Clear as mud?