A (not so small) change of plan!

Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default A (not so small) change of plan!

Well, after getting our CSQs and COPR earlier this year, and planning to move to Quebec by the end of 2012 (and actually 'landing' in Montreal at the end of July) things are now shaping up quite differently.

Mr Husband has just found out that he will be able to retain his job with his current company, working from home. The condition was that we should live in the Pacific time zone, so that he will work on the same office hours as one of their offices in the States (their Canadian office is ON but they have no use for what he does there).
Therefore we are now headed for Vancouver at the end of September! OH has been with this company for nearly 15 years and he would retain his tenure, holiday accruals, etc, and actually loves his job, so we would be crazy to say no. Just to think that one of us will have a job on arrival is such a relief too.

We know Vancouver well and know what to expect in terms of prices, weather, neighbourhoods, etc... we have friends who live there, so all in all, it does make it easier for us.

However - since we don't have our PR cards yet and are supposed to go live in Quebec, will we get any hassle from the CBSA or anyone else when we arrive at Vancouver airport? As I said, we have already formally 'landed' and activated out PRs, and I have been told that therefore we should be ok since PR is obviously for the whole of Canada, not just Quebec. But I can't help but worry slightly... will we get grilled?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later once I recover from the shock of the news
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A (not so small) change of plan!

You got PR based on the CSQ right?

Theres no way you can legally go back and live in BC without first giving Quebec a go AFAIK.

Whether you will be "caught" and if there will be any practical consequences is another question.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

I have already landed in Montreal, and PR has been activated.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nerdherd
I have already landed in Montreal, and PR has been activated.
Right, I get that, but PR was issued on the basis of the CSQ, and it appears that although you landed in Montreal, you wont actually ever try living there. That appears fraudulent to me, even if its a genuine last minute change of plans.

As I said though, the practicalities of that are probably rather different to the legalities.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Right, I get that,
Ha, sorry, I thought you hadn't (wouldn't blame you if you were confused, after my long rambling post!).

Originally Posted by iaink
That appears fraudulent to me, even if its a genuine last minute change of plans.

As I said though, the practicalities of that are probably rather different to the legalities.
Gosh, I don't like the sound of that

I have been told that even though it would appear dodgy (which I can totally see), it's not actually illegal - once PR is granted, it is valid for the whole of Canada, as a CSQ is not like a PNP. I realise that you are supposed to at least try and live in Quebec before moving on, but if you don't, there is not a lot they can do about it, and it happens regularly (whether for genuine reasons or not is another matter I guess!).
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about it. Tons of immigrants take the piss and do illegal things over here so this sounds like it's a very minor piss taking.

Once you get your PR cards just move to Vancouver and get everything sorted from SIN to Healthcare.

Don't worry about it

I'd hurry up though because this sunny hot weather won't last for much longer before we head into the 10 month rainy season. Even longer if you decide to live on the North Shore or close to the mountains in the valley.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

First Noone is going to grill you in Vancouver for having a CSQ. When you arrive they will just look at your PR card. If you have not got your PR card when you arrive obviously they may give you a bit of hassle but only for that reason.

When you made your application for permanent residency you did sign a piece of paper saying you were going to settle in Quebec, and for that reason you were given special treatment in terms of the immigration process. Technically, they could try and use this against you.

As has been said many people use the Quebec immigration process as a way to move to Canada without any intention of ever living in quebec and noone official ever makes a fuss about it. Could that change in the future ? It is always possible, but as things stand now, you should be fine.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question:

Did you originally prefer living in QC than BC? If so, why don't you just move there as planned and your husband works West Coast hours anyway

He'd just start earlier and finish earlier.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake

When you made your application for permanent residency you did sign a piece of paper saying you were going to settle in Quebec, and for that reason you were given special treatment in terms of the immigration process. Technically, they could try and use this against you.
Yep, we did sign the paper, and in good faith. As you say, them using that against us is the worry.

I wouldn't call the CSQ route special treatment though! Unless special means paying more fees, taking more language tests and having to do 2 lots of paperwork? Oh, and having to go to an interview (although that was a nice excuse for a couple of days in Paris )

Originally Posted by britsnake
As has been said many people use the Quebec immigration process as a way to move to Canada without any intention of ever living in quebec and noone official ever makes a fuss about it. Could that change in the future ? It is always possible, but as things stand now, you should be fine.
Yes, I have heard that many people use it as a means to get in - for those who have no other route, they see learning enough French for a couple of years and going for CSQ route the 'easiest' way to PR. Although the CSQ rules got seriously tightened earlier this year, so it will hopefully discourage many to try and cheat. Thanks for the reassurance though

Originally Posted by el_richo
Just a quick question:
If so, why don't you just move there as planned and your husband works West Coast hours anyway

He'd just start earlier and finish earlier.
Yes, we did think about it, but seriously, the hassle and extra expense is not worth it, as we would definitely have to go to Vancouver (well, BC) sooner or later. OH would also be required to fly to the US West Coast fairly early on and I don't think the company has budgeted for the flights to be from Montreal!

Also, how long would be deemed long enough to have 'tried' to live in QC? When would we move on - one week? One month? I think that's partly their problem with trying to enforce that rule.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

alidew is an unknown quantity at this point

I have zero experience but wondered the same thing as my OH is following job leads in Quebec and Alberta BUT for what it's worth, I would imagine the fact you already have PR would make it all ok ? Different story if you were trying to get a TWP at POE based on a Quebec job offer. A good burst into tears at the airport could possibly help too ?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar discussion a while ago.

An IO can refuse you PR if you are sponsored by a province and the IO determines that you are not intending to make a reasonable effort to settle in that province. However, once you have PR you have the right of mobility throughout the country.

In theory, at least, we can speculate that it might be possible for CIC or a province to attempt to strip someone of PR if they didn't settle in the nominating province. They could claim you made false representations to gain PR. The defense to this hypothetical situation would be to demonstrate that at the time of your application and at the time you landed you genuinely intended to reside in Quebec. After that life happens.

Others may know better but I am not aware of this being an issue.

On the bright side, it doesn't usually start raining until the middle of October so you might get a couple of weeks of good weather in.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 16th 2012 at 4:30 pm.