NOC Codes - Discussion

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default NOC Codes - Discussion

I'd like help with my NOC code, but also want to open up a discussion... When trying to decide what your NOC code is, which factor is more important?

Job Title
Duties
Salary
Qualifications

Job Title
My job title doesn't exist in NOC codes. I'm a Collateral Analyst.
I found 'Margin Calculation Clerk" under 1434, which would fit the area of work that I do, but only relates to one specific part of my job, an area which doesn't make up much of my day-to-day business.

A small part of my job is to process margin calls, so 'margin calculation clerk' does sound correct, but I think clerk seems to low grade.

Duties
Unfortunately, there's no description of Margin Calculation Clerk, and the description under 1434 describes mostly retail bank duties, of which none relate to my job.

The most duties I can match is 3/6 for 1311 (Accounting Technicians and Bookkeepers). Problem is, that job title doesn't match my job title at all. The closest would be "Financial Officer", but that's a stretch. I'm definitely not a bookkeeper, but I do perform accounting tasks, which form the bulk of my work.

However, there are also 3/6 that don't match my job, and there are duties that I perform that don't match the list.

Salary
Looking at the data on Job Bank, my salary is WAY above the National average for 1434, which comes in at $17/hr. I am earning over $40/hr (£24/hr).

I can't compare the salary of 1311 on Job Bank - because it doesn't bring anything up when you search under that code.

I know you can have your NOC code rejected for not having a high enough salary, so presumably the same works when your salary is too high?

Qualifications
The list of qualifications for 1311 are very specific to accounting and bookkeeping, as you'd expect. I don't have any of those qualifications (because I'm not a bookkeeper).

Conclusion
So.. do I go with 1434 even though there isn't a job description for 'margin calculation clerk' and the description under 1434 matches retail banking duties, and not mine?

Or do I go with 1311 because it's the only one that matches my job responsibilities, even though I don't appear to be qualified, and it doesn't match my job title.

Which is more important? Job title? Or duties?

Interestingly, I emailed HRSDC, and they also advised 1311. I dismissed it at first, but now I'm not so sure. Problem is, only CIC can decide... and HRSDC do emphasise that I am the only person who can decide for certain which of the NOC codes is right for me.

Last edited by kswoosh; Apr 23rd 2015 at 12:49 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC Codes - Discussion

Job title means diddly squat, the only important thing are the duties.

You need to find the NOC code that best matches your day to day job (even if it doesn't do it exactly), make sure you do at least half of the 'main duties' listed, and that the opening paragraph description matches your job too.

That's what CIC look for, so from what you've said I'd agree with ESDC (they're not called HRSDC anymore) and go for 1311.

HTH.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

You need to find the NOC code that best matches your day to day job (even if it doesn't do it exactly), make sure you do at least half of the 'main duties' listed, and that the opening paragraph description matches your job too.

That's what CIC look for, so from what you've said I'd agree with ESDC (they're not called HRSDC anymore) and go for 1311.

HTH.
Thanks Christmasoompa, I realise that was a really long post, so I appreciate you taking the time to read it and have an input. Certainly puts my mind at ease having someone who's experienced with all these sorts of things.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
1. 1434 is C category, semi-skilled not eligible of Skilled Worker in EE
2. The OP has to perform a majority of the major duties of the NOC, 50% won't cut it.
3. S/he can send her list of duties to ESDC and they will assign a NOC.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
2. The OP has to perform a majority of the major duties of the NOC, 50% won't cut it.
1. I know. I already have 1 year's skilled employment through 1241. This is simply to boost my CRS score.
2. I thought 50% probably wasn't enough, but 50% is way more than I can match with any other job on the NOC structure.
3. Already done that. Mentioned it in the original post (although fair enough, was a long post so easy to miss it). They suggested using 1311. Although they all add a disclaimer saying "although you are in the best position to determine if your job meets the description blah blah" in other words, covering their back so you can't source them as the reason for using that code.

Although, with point 3, are you suggesting there is another 'service' where they will assign me a code, rather than suggest one?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. I never said anything about FSW or EE.
2. I said 'at least half'.
3. Yep.

Old May 9th 2015, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Kiki1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am also a bit confused which NOC should I use.
In UK, I was working as assistant accountant. NOC1111 "Financial auditors and accountants" describe my duties BUT the employment requirements states to have University degree (which I have) AND Completion and Certification by Certified General Accountants Association. I am only part qualified in UK.

NOC1311 "Accounting technicians and bookkeepers"- I have the qualifications but the job description is what I used to do years ago and much more junior jobs what I actually did in past 6 years.
Old May 11th 2015, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Can someone comment on this please?
What is more important selecting NOC?
1. Duties and work experience or
2. Education required for NOC

Thanks
Old May 12th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiki1
Can someone comment on this please?
What is more important selecting NOC?
1. Duties and work experience or
2. Education required for NOC

Thanks
I would say duties and work experience.

My degree is in Music, but I have worked 3 years in Copywriting (NOC 5121) and 1.5 years as a Test Coordinator (2283).

I don't really need a qualification to justify the past occupations which I held because with my proof of employment letters I'll have evidence that I have the skills required.
Old May 13th 2015, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.
My degree is not in Finance either (and it doesn't matter) but the problem is that Accountants is the Regulated qualification... Does this mean that if I want to claim the NOC I have to be fully qualified AND registered with Canadian Chartered Accountant Association?????
Old Jul 1st 2015, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

ntmniall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kswoosh
I'd like help with my NOC code, but also want to open up a discussion... When trying to decide what your NOC code is, which factor is more important?

Job Title
Duties
Salary
Qualifications

Job Title
My job title doesn't exist in NOC codes. I'm a Collateral Analyst.
I found 'Margin Calculation Clerk" under 1434, which would fit the area of work that I do, but only relates to one specific part of my job, an area which doesn't make up much of my day-to-day business.

A small part of my job is to process margin calls, so 'margin calculation clerk' does sound correct, but I think clerk seems to low grade.

Duties
Unfortunately, there's no description of Margin Calculation Clerk, and the description under 1434 describes mostly retail bank duties, of which none relate to my job.

The most duties I can match is 3/6 for 1311 (Accounting Technicians and Bookkeepers). Problem is, that job title doesn't match my job title at all. The closest would be "Financial Officer", but that's a stretch. I'm definitely not a bookkeeper, but I do perform accounting tasks, which form the bulk of my work.

However, there are also 3/6 that don't match my job, and there are duties that I perform that don't match the list.

Salary
Looking at the data on Job Bank, my salary is WAY above the National average for 1434, which comes in at $17/hr. I am earning over $40/hr (£24/hr).

I can't compare the salary of 1311 on Job Bank - because it doesn't bring anything up when you search under that code.

I know you can have your NOC code rejected for not having a high enough salary, so presumably the same works when your salary is too high?

Qualifications
The list of qualifications for 1311 are very specific to accounting and bookkeeping, as you'd expect. I don't have any of those qualifications (because I'm not a bookkeeper).

Conclusion
So.. do I go with 1434 even though there isn't a job description for 'margin calculation clerk' and the description under 1434 matches retail banking duties, and not mine?

Or do I go with 1311 because it's the only one that matches my job responsibilities, even though I don't appear to be qualified, and it doesn't match my job title.

Which is more important? Job title? Or duties?

Interestingly, I emailed HRSDC, and they also advised 1311. I dismissed it at first, but now I'm not so sure. Problem is, only CIC can decide... and HRSDC do emphasise that I am the only person who can decide for certain which of the NOC codes is right for me.
kswoosh, what NOC code did you go with.I am a collateral analyst also and am in the same boat, have contacted ESDC but have still not received a reply?

I was going to go with NOC code 1112 but like you say this may be a bit of a push in terms of what I do, the other options are either 1114, or 1311.

Any advise would be great!