Newcomer with some questions!

Old Jul 5th 2018, 6:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomer with some questions!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. I really think that you should go over your points again. Without Canadian experience nor a certified job offer, I think that it is almost impossible to read 525.
See above PMM - she’d misread a question but has since recalculated.

:-)
Old Jul 10th 2018, 3:55 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bmill22
Nope, it was definitely my bad! I read one of the questions wrong!! The score was 442, I read the Canadian work experience one wrong! It's been a long day. Is that somewhat average then? Please tell me I still have a chance I was struggling to attach the screen shots but here's the text copied. Again, any advice welcome! It's not just a dream for us it's literally been my goal for years now, only until recently has it really come up in more serious chats. Success stories would be nice

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 100
  • Level of education = 112
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 128
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 340

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 7
  • First Official Languages = 20
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 27

Skill transferability factors

Education

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

Foreign work experience

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 75

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 442

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 442
The IELTS General test can be a tough one. I found the Academic version to be easier but is the General one you need to do. I took the test in January and again in April 2018. My January score was all the 8 range except for the reading score which I got a paltry 6.0. It put me to shame a little as I am Masters educated and thought I should be scoring more highly. Luckily, I spoke to the staff in the centre who were more than helpful. The talk with a lot of revision helped me a lot.

For me personally I found that printing the test papers off and having a physical paper in front of me helped me achieve the top scores (Listening 8.5, Reading 8.0, Writing and Speaking both 9) in my April exam. You should be able to get the pdf's online if you search and audio files for the listening. The Cambridge Test Papers are the ones I used with the most recent being Cambridge 12-13 I think. If you do use the earlier ones, they have dated practice papers. I would recommend sticking to Cambridge 8 and above in the General sections.

As for the CRS scrores, I would keep an eye on it as you will not know for sure until you have taken the test and have the exact scores. The CRS calculator from what the other OP's have mentioned is changeable. You can try different test results and see what it throws back at you in the form of a final CRS score. It will give you a guideline as to what you should be looking to get. You should also be able to get extra points for having an uncle/auntie already in Canada.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
As for the CRS scrores, I would keep an eye on it as you will not know for sure until you have taken the test and have the exact scores. The CRS calculator from what the other OP's have mentioned is changeable. You can try different test results and see what it throws back at you in the form of a final CRS score. It will give you a guideline as to what you should be looking to get. You should also be able to get extra points for having an uncle/auntie already in Canada.
The CRS calculator isn't changeable, as long as the proper one is being used. It only changes when factors put in change i.e. somebody has a birthday and gets a year older.

And no, no points under the CRS for an aunt or uncle - siblings only.

HTH.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:09 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The CRS calculator isn't changeable, as long as the proper one is being used. It only changes when factors put in change i.e. somebody has a birthday and gets a year older.

And no, no points under the CRS for an aunt or uncle - siblings only.

HTH.
Ah, Yes. Sorry, the factors are changeable is what I was trying to say!

I'm sure I saw the uncle/auntie thing somewhere. I've just checked the CIC website and you are correct,
"
10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident? Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:
  • 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner"
Old Jul 10th 2018, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ah, Yes. Sorry, the factors are changeable is what I was trying to say!

I'm sure I saw the uncle/auntie thing somewhere. I've just checked the CIC website and you are correct,
"
10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident? Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:
  • 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner"
Ah, got ya! You may have seen the aunt/uncle thing on a FSW points score info page, it counts for that (5 points), just not for CRS points.

HTH.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Bmill22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The IELTS General test can be a tough one. I found the Academic version to be easier but is the General one you need to do. I took the test in January and again in April 2018. My January score was all the 8 range except for the reading score which I got a paltry 6.0. It put me to shame a little as I am Masters educated and thought I should be scoring more highly. Luckily, I spoke to the staff in the centre who were more than helpful. The talk with a lot of revision helped me a lot.

For me personally I found that printing the test papers off and having a physical paper in front of me helped me achieve the top scores (Listening 8.5, Reading 8.0, Writing and Speaking both 9) in my April exam. You should be able to get the pdf's online if you search and audio files for the listening. The Cambridge Test Papers are the ones I used with the most recent being Cambridge 12-13 I think. If you do use the earlier ones, they have dated practice papers. I would recommend sticking to Cambridge 8 and above in the General sections.

Good Luck!
Thanks for all the info! I will do what you've recommended and print some out, my husband will probably prefer doing it that way and actually it'll probably be better for me too, so very heloful!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:21 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info! I will do what you've recommended and print some out, my husband will probably prefer doing it that way and actually it'll probably be better for me too, so very heloful!
I recommend checking out IELTS Liz if you haven’t already. I found it very helpful especially in describing the format of the tests and the pitfalls to look out for.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 2:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are dozens of sites for IELTS practice tests (Do remember that it's 'General' that you need to take)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ielts...w=1400&bih=677
Old Jul 11th 2018, 1:57 pm
Knight of Constantinople

I used Barron's IELTS to get the 'jist' of the tests. For me it was a re-learning process and getting back into 'uni mode'. It gave me the heads up on how to improve your score. The practice tests will give you an insight into your progress. I think I did around 30 tests earlier this year to get myself prepared. The Cambridge papers consist of 4 separate General tests per booklet.

I got my tests from the website below. I think its an Iranian site but if you put it though Google Chrome it should automatically translate the page for you.

https://afarinesh.org/

As the MOD has mentioned use the 'General' test only.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Bmill22 is an unknown quantity at this point

You lot are amazing! Thank you all for your recommendations and advice! Taking it all on board