Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:42 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
1ROBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 37
1ROBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Originally Posted by m4mm4l
8 weeks and 3 days - starting to get a little stressed now as there's going to be a point where either my company wont leave my job open anymore or we can't keep up with mortgage payments and will have sell the house, either way I dont want to return to the UK
My company applied for a new LMO for me (Calgary, AB) on September 23 - so waiting 6 weeks today.
1ROBB is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:58 pm
  #17  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

I just want to add some hope for the folk patiently (or unpatiently) waiting on an lmo confirmation in Alberta.

A friend on another thread mentioned that in a very recent conversationn with hrsdc that he was told the lmo should take NO LONGER THAN 8 WEEKS.......This is great news for us as we should then hear something this week.
murrin is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:11 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 16
neilottawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Still waiting too - 11 weeks now. Our lawyer called and said it looks like it is going to be another 2/3 weeks until we get our decision. Apparently they have recently consolidated the western region into one processing team which, in addition to the new regs brought in April is the reason for the backlog. I believe they are still processing application from Aug 12-15 and seem to be taking between one and two business days for every days worth of applications.

I don't mean to cause any panic, just wanted to let you know what I know.
neilottawa is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:07 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
m4mm4l's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 76
m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Originally Posted by neilottawa
Still waiting too - 11 weeks now. Our lawyer called and said it looks like it is going to be another 2/3 weeks until we get our decision. Apparently they have recently consolidated the western region into one processing team which, in addition to the new regs brought in April is the reason for the backlog. I believe they are still processing application from Aug 12-15 and seem to be taking between one and two business days for every days worth of applications.

I don't mean to cause any panic, just wanted to let you know what I know.
When I called Service Canada they stated that the delay was due to some of the staff being switched to processing 'Employee Insurance' claims instead of LMO's.
m4mm4l is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:21 pm
  #20  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

We have had a huge set back .....the employer didnt fill out the paperwork correctly and they have to re advertise the job position and basically start back at 'square 1'.

I cant beleive it took almost 9 weeks for them to point out the mistake and then have to have it re advertised....very very frustrating and dissapointing...but its not the end..just a set back!
murrin is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:32 pm
  #21  
Forum Regular
 
1ROBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 37
1ROBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the employer will get it fixed asap for you.

I will have been waiting 7 weeks this Friday. I am worried as my employer entered my salary from my existing role on the application, but the LMO is for a position at a higher level and with a higher salary. My employer is going to contact HRSDC tomorrow and tell them what the correct salary being offered is. I'm hoping that they will accept this and simply amend the salary on the existing application, rather than require that the whole application to be re-submitted.

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for a decision.
1ROBB is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:48 pm
  #22  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Originally Posted by 1ROBB
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the employer will get it fixed asap for you.

I will have been waiting 7 weeks this Friday. I am worried as my employer entered my salary from my existing role on the application, but the LMO is for a position at a higher level and with a higher salary. My employer is going to contact HRSDC tomorrow and tell them what the correct salary being offered is. I'm hoping that they will accept this and simply amend the salary on the existing application, rather than require that the whole application to be re-submitted.

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting for a decision.
Yeah one of the issues on our application was the wage amount....apparently it had to be less?????
Also newspaper advertisments along with only 1 service canada advert wasnt enough.

I hope your employer phone call is enough to fix yours for you..good luck and keep me posted on how that works out for you.

Im hoping that the officer dealing with our application will speed up the process for us and not leave us sitting in the huge pile again...time will tell.
murrin is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:05 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
1ROBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 37
1ROBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

I am hoping that I have a very good case. The job is for a senior manager in an accounting firm. In summary:

- a significant number of adverts have been made for the position since June 2011 and the adverts are still out there - the minimum requirements should easily have been met.
- the employer has noted on the application that as well as the position they want me to fill there is another position available for the same role which has been open since June and they have not found anyone suitable.
- they have included a detailed analysis of the Canadian applicants and have clearly shown that they do not have the qualifications/experience for the role.
- they have included a letter from a recruitment consultant they have been using to try and recruit someone - this letter outlines the fact that there are very few people to fill such a position right now in Calgary.
- they have included a copy of my resume and a detailed covering letter explaining the recruitment efforts made, the current labour shortage in this specific area and a business case for why it would be positive for me to stay.

The only possible problem I could see is the employer showing the incorrect salary - I am hoping a phone call to HRSDC should fix this. Given the nature of the job it is not usual practice for the salary to be shown on the job postings anyway.

I don't think there's anything else we could have done to try and get the LMO approved?
1ROBB is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:34 pm
  #24  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Originally Posted by 1ROBB
I am hoping that I have a very good case. The job is for a senior manager in an accounting firm. In summary:

- a significant number of adverts have been made for the position since June 2011 and the adverts are still out there - the minimum requirements should easily have been met.
- the employer has noted on the application that as well as the position they want me to fill there is another position available for the same role which has been open since June and they have not found anyone suitable.
- they have included a detailed analysis of the Canadian applicants and have clearly shown that they do not have the qualifications/experience for the role.
- they have included a letter from a recruitment consultant they have been using to try and recruit someone - this letter outlines the fact that there are very few people to fill such a position right now in Calgary.
- they have included a copy of my resume and a detailed covering letter explaining the recruitment efforts made, the current labour shortage in this specific area and a business case for why it would be positive for me to stay.

The only possible problem I could see is the employer showing the incorrect salary - I am hoping a phone call to HRSDC should fix this. Given the nature of the job it is not usual practice for the salary to be shown on the job postings anyway.

I don't think there's anything else we could have done to try and get the LMO approved?
sounds to me like you shouldnt have a problem.....I hope it comes quick for you.
murrin is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:18 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
m4mm4l's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 76
m4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nicem4mm4l is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Sorry to hear about your setback Murrin.
I'm now 9 weeks and 2 days but no news
m4mm4l is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:14 pm
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 90
scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Sorry to hear about your case murrin. The same thing happened to me (specifically, wage entered incorrectly by employer) about 2-3 weeks into my application the first time around. I know how frustrated I was then, but 9 weeks is very unfortunate. Hang in there! I didn't think I had the patience, but about 10 weeks after my first LMO application was rejected, I received a positive LMO. So, stick with it.

Good luck to everyone!
scuudz is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:40 pm
  #27  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Its scary having to trust that the employer is going to fill out the paperwork correctly the next time round and crazy that hrsdc make us re apply instead of just changing the information.
If we have to wait the same amount of time as last time ..it will be almost another 3 months (if we include the job advertising time ) which would bring us to february ...meanwhile the house is getting sold because we have to have faith that its going to work out in the end.

Thanks for your support and sharing your information.
murrin is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:44 pm
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
1ROBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 37
1ROBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Originally Posted by murrin
Its scary having to trust that the employer is going to fill out the paperwork correctly the next time round and crazy that hrsdc make us re apply instead of just changing the information.
If we have to wait the same amount of time as last time ..it will be almost another 3 months (if we include the job advertising time ) which would bring us to february ...meanwhile the house is getting sold because we have to have faith that its going to work out in the end.

Thanks for your support and sharing your information.
Murrin/Szuudz

Can I ask for some further information on why your applications were not initially approved - was it due to the wages on the job adverts not being correct? Or was it due to the wage as entered on the LMO application form not being correct?

My application is for a NOC A occupation and therefore the job adverts do not need to show the wage rate to meet the minimum advertising requirements. My only worry is that my employer filled in the salary from my old position on the application and not the salary that I would be paid under the new, higher level position. I'm not sure how much of an issue this could be - I'm hoping it shouldn't be an issue since the salary is not disclosed on the job adverts.

I have been waiting for 7 weeks as of today - i'm really hoping that a positive LMO will come through by the end of November so that I can go home for Christmas and then collect a shiny new work permit when I return - and then hopefully get my permanent residence sometime in 2012.
1ROBB is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:59 am
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 90
scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

Well the explaination I was given by the employer's hr officer was that the wage rate entered on the lmo application was deemed to be too low by hrsdc and therefore the application was rejected. The way she said it implied that the the people looking at your application study the job description well and use some sort of guide to determine a fair wage for the position. If the wage entered on the application falls outside the range hrsdc think is fair, then your application is rejected and your employer has to start all over again by re-advertising the position.

That being said, I distinctly remember that my yearly wage did not show up on the job posting the first time. However, it did show up when it was re-advertised. The hr person did not mention this(yearly wage not showing up on job posting) as the cause of rejection though.

Hope this helps.
scuudz is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2011, 6:54 pm
  #30  
Permanent resident
Thread Starter
 
murrin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Bowden, Alberta
Posts: 228
murrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nicemurrin is just really nice
Default Re: new Sept/October 2011- alberta lmo timeline

The only explanation we have been given was that the job advertising was not good enough and did not display enough information in regards to the wage.
The job was also for a supervisory position and we had to add extra men to the workforce and therefore the sub contractors were added to amend this.
murrin is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.