New Route Hopefully!!

Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

jazzyjeff7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Route Hopefully!!

Hiya everyone..

After a long time back on here Just come back from B.C after 3 month holiday it was just awesome like always.

Anyways to the main point my wife had an offer from a local University to study for a particular course that lasts a year she needs to basically complete this course then a exam and she can then apply for work in the health service field.

Thats all great now she has completed her application and will be submitting it at the end of this month, Now I have am sure I have read that since she will be studying I can apply for an open spousal work permit is this really true? and is it very simple and on my wife application for the study permit which section can I apply for it?

My wife's course begins in May and September Next year we are looking to get out for around midish April we have so much to do, but we have already sorted ourselves out in B.C. We are very fortunate that my parents have brought us a house and we have prepared it all up and currently one of my sisters is living there to keep it clean lol.

Most of the things to do are like putting the house up for rent, we are looking to sell our cars also which we can put towards our new cars in B.C..

I would be grateful for other tips to get us started.

Now one question I do have is how much personal things can we take with us clothes, electricals, etc

All this is great for us to think of and get there but at the end of the day which route can we follow to become permanent residents?

I know I possible can work on the open permit and the employer may want to keep me on, I received a few job offers already in the summer but I could not take them on since I had to return because of responsibilities here.

After my wife completes her one year study can she apply for work straight away ? or apply for some sort of extension to her study so she can look for work ? she also had an offer but she did not have the required Canadian health certificate to get her in.

I would like to thank you in advance for you replies because I know you guys here do help quite a lot with our issues.

The journey has finally begun!!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Route Hopefully!!

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff7
Most of the things to do are like putting the house up for rent, we are looking to sell our cars also which we can put towards our new cars in B.C.
You might want to get the study permit, if you have not already done so before quiting the country.

Now one question I do have is how much personal things can we take with us clothes, electricals, etc
As much as you like, however being on temporary permits, there is always the rick you may have to ship it all back.

All this is great for us to think of and get there but at the end of the day which route can we follow to become permanent residents?

After my wife completes her one year study can she apply for work straight away ? or apply for some sort of extension to her study so she can look for work ?
No, a study permit only allows you to study and work on campus. As soon as her course finishes she would need a WP (harder to get these days) or PR. Once her study permit expires, so does your spousal permit.

You might find this helpful
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...k-students.asp
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi,

Yes you can apply for an open work permit as the spouse of a study permit holder.

Once she has had the sign off from the Uni in Canada that she has totally finished her course she can get a letter from the uni and send it with a 'I want to change my reasons for being here' form and apply for a 'Post Graduate Work Permit from within Canada', this is different to other work permits and is under the 'study' section of the Canadian Immigration website, not under the 'work' section. You may also request an extension of your open work permit at the same time on the same form. Once you've legally lived in Canada for a year you can apply for PR under the skilled worker program, or you might chose to wait another year when you've both got a years worth of canadian work experience under your belt, under the 'canadian experience class'.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

jazzyjeff7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lifeisajourney.... thank you so much for you information thats helped us so much you wouldn't believe

Ok now again with the personal things we want to take is this booked via a special carrier or courier team and who can I arrange this with ?

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi,

Yes you can apply for an open work permit as the spouse of a study permit holder.

Once she has had the sign off from the Uni in Canada that she has totally finished her course she can get a letter from the uni and send it with a 'I want to change my reasons for being here' form and apply for a 'Post Graduate Work Permit from within Canada', this is different to other work permits and is under the 'study' section of the Canadian Immigration website, not under the 'work' section. You may also request an extension of your open work permit at the same time on the same form. Once you've legally lived in Canada for a year you can apply for PR under the skilled worker program, or you might chose to wait another year when you've both got a years worth of canadian work experience under your belt, under the 'canadian experience class'.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

No problem Jazzyjeff7,

By the way I take it you'd found out about the hugely inflated international fees for non-canadians, and also you'll need to pay for both of your own NHS level health care (through the uni probably, called UHIP). So, even only a year of study will end up costing you a lot. But if it gets your OH where she wants to be career wise and where you both want to be lifestyle wise then it could be worth it. For us it certainly has been but I just wanted to raise those issues in case you haven't figured those things out for yourselves yet.

What course is your OH hoping to do? It does need to be full time in order for her to qualify for the PostGrad work permit once she's done.
My hubbie did a Masters in Physiotherapy, it was certainly tough going, both intellectually for him, financially for us as a family and me shouldering all the kiddie care whilst he studied for exams etc, but the opportunities here for him are well worth it, he has such an interesting and well paid job now we're having a much better life here than if we had stayed in the UK.

Re shipping stuff over, I'm by far not a good person to ask as from what I've seen we paid well over the odds to have our stuff sent here! Do a search on here and you should find some useful threads.

By the way, do you currently qualify for PR under the skilled worker route? If you do you might as well get that underway from the UK now as things seem to be being processed amazingly quickly under the new system.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Once again, good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff7
Hiya everyone..

After a long time back on here Just come back from B.C after 3 month holiday it was just awesome like always.

Anyways to the main point my wife had an offer from a local University to study for a particular course that lasts a year she needs to basically complete this course then a exam and she can then apply for work in the health service field.

Thats all great now she has completed her application and will be submitting it at the end of this month, Now I have am sure I have read that since she will be studying I can apply for an open spousal work permit is this really true? and is it very simple and on my wife application for the study permit which section can I apply for it?

My wife's course begins in May and September Next year we are looking to get out for around midish April we have so much to do, but we have already sorted ourselves out in B.C. We are very fortunate that my parents have brought us a house and we have prepared it all up and currently one of my sisters is living there to keep it clean lol.

Most of the things to do are like putting the house up for rent, we are looking to sell our cars also which we can put towards our new cars in B.C..

I would be grateful for other tips to get us started.

I know I possible can work on the open permit and the employer may want to keep me on, I received a few job offers already in the summer but I could not take them on since I had to return because of responsibilities here.

After my wife completes her one year study can she apply for work straight away ? or apply for some sort of extension to her study so she can look for work ? she also had an offer but she did not have the required Canadian health certificate to get her in.

I would like to thank you in advance for you replies because I know you guys here do help quite a lot with our issues.

The journey has finally begun!!

Hi There,

What is your current occupation? You may be able to apply for PR shortly after you arrive if your job is on the list - go to CIC.gc.ca/immigrate/who can apply. If you come over with your wife and your wife has a study permit, you can apply for an open work permit. If you have 67 point or more you can apply for PR straight away as a skilled worker from inside Canada. Remember if you have a letter from your employer confirming they are willing to convert your temporary position to a permanent one on an inderterminate basis once you are granted PR, you will be eligible for the addional 10 points for arranged employment and the 5 points for adaptability. If you go to the CIC website and click on the am I eligible button it will give you an idea as to whether you can apply as a skilled worker or not.

If you don't currently qualify then you can apply after legally residing in canada for one year so long as you have the required points. The CIC website and the Wiki on here will give you the majority of the information you need as a starting point.

Hope this helps
Tracy