NEW PR without card

Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Pete S will become famous soon enough
Default NEW PR without card

Hi all
I have read the sticky above but just want some additional, recent experience please.

We have landed (Had mtg in December) and are awaiting our PR cards to arrive from CIC. I need to go back to the UK for 2 days. I have a valid British passport.

My immigration lawyer is telling me I need a travel document if I am flying into the country on my return. However, I don't have time to get one.

The sticky above suggests that for countries with a visa waiver programme in place, you don't need a PR card if travelling with air canada.

Has anyone done this recently and got back in ok?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Default Re: NEW PR without card

OK I did a search on this and found nothing. However I then googled and found loads of stuff on it. So before I get flamed, banned, excommunicated I am going to travel on my brit passport and when returning with air canada check in as a tourist then take the b......ing at immigration in canada.

Have a nice day
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:18 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My husband travelled without his PR card, he's a brit. As per the sticky, it isn't an issue for visa-exempt travellers. My husband landed in December 2012, stayed for 2 weeks, then went abck to the UK. The PR card was sent to my parents.

We came back to Canada for a visit the following June. My husband informed the immigration guy that he was a PR. The guy asked if he had his card. My husband said he didn;t have it, my in-laws did, it was mailed after he'd already left Canada. He showed his stamped COPR forms and the landing documents he'd received that December, and all was fine.

Just take your other documentation with you, and you shouldn't have an issue.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband travelled without his PR card, he's a brit. As per the sticky, it isn't an issue for visa-exempt travellers. My husband landed in December 2012, stayed for 2 weeks, then went abck to the UK. The PR card was sent to my parents.

We came back to Canada for a visit the following June. My husband informed the immigration guy that he was a PR. The guy asked if he had his card. My husband said he didn;t have it, my in-laws did, it was mailed after he'd already left Canada. He showed his stamped COPR forms and the landing documents he'd received that December, and all was fine.

Just take your other documentation with you, and you shouldn't have an issue.
OK great, many thanks
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once again its not Immigration/CBSA that you might have a problem with its the AIRLINE when boarding. Sure you might have a visa exempt passport but chances are you are on a return ticket so they could ask about your status in Canada and take it from there. Admittedly there have been very few if any cases of PRs holding a UK passport being denied boarding but its in the legislation.
While the PR card is not a mandatory document within Canada, it is necessary should a permanent resident travel outside Canada using a commercial transportation company. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, a permanent resident without a PR card outside Canada is deemed to be a foreign national. Transportation companies that screen persons boarding Canada-bound carriers require all passengers to be in possession of one of the documents prescribed in R259:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf27-eng.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Once again its not Immigration/CBSA that you might have a problem with its the AIRLINE when boarding. Sure you might have a visa exempt passport but chances are you are on a return ticket so they could ask about your status in Canada and take it from there. Admittedly there have been very few if any cases of PRs holding a UK passport being denied boarding but its in the legislation.
While the PR card is not a mandatory document within Canada, it is necessary should a permanent resident travel outside Canada using a commercial transportation company. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, a permanent resident without a PR card outside Canada is deemed to be a foreign national. Transportation companies that screen persons boarding Canada-bound carriers require all passengers to be in possession of one of the documents prescribed in R259:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf27-eng.pdf
Understood, many thanks for taking the time to explain that
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete S
Understood, many thanks for taking the time to explain that
Look at Air Canada's website, you should see that they should be fine with you traveling on your passport.
And it's not in the legislation that a PR Card is mandatory to travel to Canada. A valid PR Card is one acceptable document, a valid (visa waiver) foreign passport is another. More than 10 years after the PR Card was introduced, if CIC have been concerned by this they've never enforced the legislation any other way. Nor tried to change it.

Although it will probably change when Canada has electronic travel authorization for visitors, that's still a year or so away.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 29th 2014 at 3:25 am.