Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

New PR card processing time 100 days plus 6 weeks mailing time!

New PR card processing time 100 days plus 6 weeks mailing time!

Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute
Default New PR card processing time 100 days plus 6 weeks mailing time!

When I became a PR, you got your new card in 30 days tops.

Now it is 100 days for a new PR card plus up to 6 weeks mailing time.

What are you supposed to do if you want to travel next year - wait over 3 months before you can leave the country???

This seems very harsh.

And I know that you can do the PR travel document thing but that's not particularly easy always.

Any useful comments?? Is CIC working to reduce this? Seems awfully harsh on new PRs to wait so long - little sympathy with renewals but new ones can't get it any quicker if they tried.

Comments??
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New PR card processing time 100 days plus 6 weeks mailing time!

It's because they're current updating the cards, to include new security features etc. There are a couple of threads with more info on about the increased times if you want to do a search.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 27th 2016 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:43 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I think they also put PR cards on hold to process refugee applications during November and December. It is a long time, it was awkward for us but what you going to do. Even back in September it was 51 days though not 30.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed!

It's ironic in our situation, as our initial Immigration process was held up back in 2003, as the PR Card was just coming into play. Now, we have to return to the UK due to my terminally ill dad. PR renewal package was sent along to CIC on 6th January, it's too early (not logged) to apply for a "rush process".
It looks like we may have to leave Canada and deal with the Travel Document (another $50 on top of the PR renewal $50) when we land in the UK. I'm just hoping there are no complications on that end (size of photos or anything which Canada may suggest doesn't meet their requirements - usually my luck!!).

Kind Regards,
Siv
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Yes indeed!

It's ironic in our situation, as our initial Immigration process was held up back in 2003, as the PR Card was just coming into play. Now, we have to return to the UK due to my terminally ill dad. PR renewal package was sent along to CIC on 6th January, it's too early (not logged) to apply for a "rush process".
It looks like we may have to leave Canada and deal with the Travel Document (another $50 on top of the PR renewal $50) when we land in the UK. I'm just hoping there are no complications on that end (size of photos or anything which Canada may suggest doesn't meet their requirements - usually my luck!!).

Kind Regards,
Siv

I applied for a travel document in the US so not a direct comparison, but it was easy, took about 10 days in total with mailing time to and from. No issues, passport came back with the document sticker inside.

It was the easiest process ever.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think they also put PR cards on hold to process refugee applications during November and December. It is a long time, it was awkward for us but what you going to do. Even back in September it was 51 days though not 30.
It was quicker way back in the day, in 2006, took less than 30 days for my first PR card.

Seems they have changed the card at least 3 times now. My 2nd one was different then my first, and now changing it again...
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks mailing time does seem excessive so I'm hoping they are just covering their butts with that estimate.

When we landed in December they were still saying we would receive our card in around 6-8 weeks - seems to me that was a bit ridiculous as surely they would have known that wasn't the case (since we now know processing was already on hold at that point).

Our issue is a trip to Florida for an event in April that we can't change dates for (world cheerleading championships - niece is competing)
We booked a direct flight from Winnipeg. At the time of booking didn't think the timing would be a problem.
The trip is only 9 days so I don't think getting one of the temporary travel documents at the other end is going to be feasible either.

I know somebody said on another thread that PR in Canada is not a prison sentence (I think they ere talking about citizenship), but if they can't process the cards a bit quicker I feel they really should find some way to allow airlines to check if people are in the system and OK to travel on COPR paperwork.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Ally and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Landed october 9th at Peace Arch/douglas. Received PR card today!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all the members above, who have provided VERY good information towards my PR Renewal query. It's definitely looking like the Emergency Travel Document on my return to Canada.

The big issue right now, is that there are so many angles to the plan, where most of the timelines are out of our control. Initially, my main concern was awaiting a response via email from CIC, at least to know that my application was accepted and put forward for processing. However, a betting man would clearly advise that this PR renewal, even with a "rush process" ... is never going to come through in time. We "may" be looking at early March on heading back to the UK, of course, this is all based on how my dad's situation deteriorates.

Kind Regards,
Siv
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ally and Chris
Landed october 9th at Peace Arch/douglas. Received PR card today!
So 16 weeks. Not quite the 6-8 weeks they advised us back in Dec lol

Can I ask what was the actual date of issue on it - just to get an idea of time from processing to delivery.
It's the up to 6 weeks posting time on top of the (now 105) days that is freaking me out.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks for mailing is definitely over the top.

But from what I've heard from other people waiting for their PR cards is that the 100 day estimate is fairly accurate within a week or so.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

At this point, would it be fair to say that changes to the security features on the PR Card, changes to the application process and of course, current issues with Refugees, are the main reasons for timelines being extensively stretched?

One thing I would like to know (just for point of interest) ... is how long it's currently taking CIC to "log" PR applications, as having provided my email on the renewal forms, having some kind of confirmation would be helpful, even with the knowledge that the PR card is unlikely to reach us in time for our travel plans.

Kind Regards,
Siv
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, it's not actually taking that much longer to process the cards... It's more to do with the fact that they stopped processing any at all during November/December while they switched over to the new format.

I just keep having to remind myself that though it's annoying now, it'll be better in the long run for being able to go through the border faster!
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Ally and Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
From what I've read, it's not actually taking that much longer to process the cards... It's more to do with the fact that they stopped processing any at all during November/December while they switched over to the new format.

I just keep having to remind myself that though it's annoying now, it'll be better in the long run for being able to go through the border faster!
Yes its more annoying then anything. My BCDL was given the same expiry as my UK one when i handed it in. When it expired last April they would not issue a new card. Since then every 8 weeks ive had to go to ICBC office to get a new sheet of yellow paper as they wont remove the immigration hold without a PR card (despite accepting the COPR as confirmation of being a PR). This has meant ive had to take my passport everytime i may have an inclination of consuming a beer being relatively young. We have visited the states with the COPR only and had no issues so it really was an annoyance more than anything. hopefully the last visit to ICBC tomorrow and a renewed DL and PHN cards will be on route.