New here

Old Oct 16th 2001, 10:35 pm
Diane

Hi!

I just found this group and I'm so glad I did. Does someone, anyone, have any success
stories? I need to hear some. This is my story: I'm living in Canada with my fiance.
We're getting married on Nov. 10. He's a Canadian citizen and I'm a US citizen.
Neither one of us has a criminal background. We're going to file with Immigration
right after we get married. We're both nervous wrecks because we don't know if
they'll make me leave the country or not while they process the forms. That's why I'd
love to hear some success stories. Please? TIA

Di

Old Oct 17th 2001, 1:36 am
Berto Volpentesta

A little aprehension is appropriate since this is a big deal. After = all, if you are
not successful, what will happen?

In reality though, Canada is a compassionate nation. The immigration = laws are
written to allow for these sorts of things.

If your marriage is a legitimate one, not for immigration purposes, you = should not
have any difficulty and you will be able to stay while the = process goes on.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
have
    >
living in
    >
Canadian
    >
background.
    >
We're both
    >
country or
    >
success
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 17th 2001, 1:52 am
Jim Humphries

It is not likely that you would be asked to leave Canada for the processing of your
application, but it could happen . It is a privilege which is normally granted but
not in all cases. If your marriage seems legit there should be no problem. Take heart
I would say. Jim Humphries, former visa officer

Diane wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 17th 2001, 12:39 pm
The Wizzard

just make sure you use the inland sponsorship kit when you apply after your marriage,
so that you apply for the h&c thing first then when you get your acknowledgment you
can apply for a work permit and what have you. i think there is a whole section for
it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ also id make sure you have sorted out all yoru business
in the US before you apply if you want to apply as an inland case cos once you apply
you may have trouble leaveing andreturning cos you have specified you want to apply
inland cos of the undesirable seperation. although thinking about it, this would make
sense for say soeone from overseas, but at the US/Canadian border you can just show
your ID to pass can't you? if youa re a citizen. so unless you wanted the work permit
to stay with yoru husband in Canada you could probably leave and return without too
much trouble as they wouldn't be running you through the full customs type thing like
they do at the airport. but really you should apply as an inland case that way you
can live with yoru husband after you are married without haveing to leave the country
and you can get permission to work once its been approved so you can start lookign
for a job. i think it could take longer than if you applied from outside, but that
makes sense as you would already be together so there isnt the priority of people who
are seperated by oceans etc. if you make sure youve sorted everything out and got ll
teh stuff you need there with you youll have no reason to leave and therefore no
worries about coming or going.

Drew

--
Posted from host213-123-133-180.in-addr.btopenworld.com [213.123.133.180] via
Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Oct 17th 2001, 3:15 pm
Diane

Thank you so much Berto, Jim, wideopen and Drew for all your info!!! I'm going to
look at the sites you posted, but I wanted to say thanks first and tell you a little
more about us. My fiance was laid off last Wed. and of course we're hoping he finds
something fast, but doubt it. We're both afraid that he won't have a job when we file
and Immigration states that he has to prove he can support me for ten years. Ugh! We
already have approval from the Registrar's office to marry. I went through a lawyer
for the Opinion(?) letter and filled out the other necessary form, so that's behind
us. Yes, this will be a real marriage, not one of convenience. We don't have any
children and won't because we're both going to be 49 soon. I was hoping Canada would
be compassionate especially since my fiance is legally blind and a member of the
CNIB. He can work and takes public transit, but they would never issue him a drivers
license. We downloaded the forms for Inland already and I'll be looking them over for
the next few days. I'll be coming back here periodically to read other posts too.
Thank you again for helping me to feel better about this and responding so fast. I
really appreciate it!

Di

A little aprehension is appropriate since this is a big deal. After all, if you are
not successful, what will happen?

In reality though, Canada is a compassionate nation. The immigration laws are written
to allow for these sorts of things.

If your marriage is a legitimate one, not for immigration purposes, you should not
have any difficulty and you will be able to stay while the process goes on.

--
Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
in
    >