new application

Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Question new application

Hi all, i am in the process in the next few days of sending of application to London. We have been approved by PNP and have been quoted 6 to 8 months for PR status. We will be sending off for a work permit as husbands employers want him there A.S.A.P but have a few questions that im hoping some one can help with. I apologise if these have been answered on previous threads! which im sure they have.

1) Do i have to fill in a work permit form seperate from husbands? or do i wait till we are in Canada and then alter permit once i have found a job? would the same apply to our children?

2) Our youngest daughter is still of school age(12) do i have to apply for a study permit? or will she be allowed to study as my husband has a work permit? While we wait for our PR visa.

3) Our friends have just got their PR visa(they have no children so are unable to help with above questions!) and i queried with them about the birth certificate. I know the forms ask for a long birth certificate but i only have a short one! will this matter?? Our friends only sent in the short version also with no problems but im sure i read on here that someone failed interview due to wrong certificate size!

4) Also as we have a job offer i believe we do not have to show proof of funds but will they query that? We have 2 properties one of which is up for sale and we only have a minimal mortgage on the 2nd property. would evaluations of property value and mortgage commitment be suffice to show that once sold we will be financially stable? We will not be leaving England untill 1 property has sold but want to get the forms in now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 7:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new application

Welcome to the forum, jempee,

Do i have to fill in a work permit form seperate from husbands?
Technically you can enter Canada as a visitor for up to six months (if you are a citizen of the UK). However, somewhere around 30 days before your visitor status was to expire, you would need to apply for an extension of it. Therefore it would be more ideal for you to apply for a work permit in your own right at the same time as your husband applies for a work permit.

or do i wait till we are in Canada and then alter permit once i have found a job?
The spouse of a work permit holder is allowed to enter Canda as a visitor and then apply for a work permit in his/her own right once he/she is in Canada. Nonetheless there would be advantages to your applying for a work permit at the same time that your husband does.

If your husband is issued with a work permit that is valid for longer than six months and if his job is listed in Skill Level O, A or B in the National Occupational Classification, you will be issued with an open work permit. That is, HRSDC approval will not have to be sought for a job for which you apply, and you'll be free to work for any employer in Canada. Your work permit, however, will be valid only for as long as your husband's work permit is valid. Here is CIC's web page that explains the Spousal Program.

would the same apply to our children?
Minor children of a work permit holder are allowed to accompany the work permit holder to Canada without applying for any visas or permits in their own right. As long as he/she accompanies a parent who is the holder of a work permit, a minor child is allowed to attend school in Canada. However, she will not be allowed to work in Canada unless she has a work permit in her own right. I have not seen anything on CIC's web site that suggests that a child of a work permit holder gets a special break when he/she applies for a work permit, along the lines of the special break that a spouse gets under the Spousal Program. Perhaps there is a provision for a child but, if it exists, I have not seen it.

2) Our youngest daughter is still of school age(12) do i have to apply for a study permit? or will she be allowed to study as my husband has a work permit? While we wait for our PR visa.
As I stated earlier, your daughter automatically will be allowed to attend school because at least one of her parents will have a work permit.

3) Our friends have just got their PR visa(they have no children so are unable to help with above questions!) and i queried with them about the birth certificate. I know the forms ask for a long birth certificate but i only have a short one! will this matter?? Our friends only sent in the short version also with no problems but im sure i read on here that someone failed interview due to wrong certificate size!
I'm sorry, I know nothing about the birth certificate issue.

4) Also as we have a job offer i believe we do not have to show proof of funds but will they query that?
My understanding is that a person has to show proof of funds if he/she is applying for permanent residence in Canada and does not have a job offer. I do not believe the requirement applies to a person applying for a work permit that is predicated on a job offer.

One thing you ought to be aware of is that some school boards in Canada treat children of work permit holders like local students for the purpose of assessing school fees. Some school boards treat children of work permit holders like foreign students. If a child is deemed to be a local student, a public school board will charge that student fees that are so minimal that the student's education will be close to free. If a child is deemed to be a foreign student, a public school board will charge that student a hefty tuition fee, somewhere in the order of C$10,000 per year.

This varies from one school board to another. The Calgary Board of Education treats minor children of work permit holders like local students. You would need to find out the policy in the jurisdiction in which you want to live.

When I refer to public schools in Canada I don't mean public in the British sense of public. Here in Canada public schools are the ones that are funded by tax payers.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new application

Originally Posted by jempee

Do you really want to take the risk of a delay because of the wrong type of birth certificate. I strongly suggest you get a copy of your long form birth cert.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...re_to_get.html

Jeremy
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: new application

JUDY
Thanks for taking the time to reply Judy, that has made things alot clearer for me especially the study permit issue.

JEREMY
Thanks for your reply I said all along that i should just go ahead and order a long birth certificate but husband thinks there is no point! But i think for piece of mind i will just order it anyway.

Many Thanks
Jempee