Need urgent advice, please!

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

galinbg is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Need urgent advice, please!

Hi folks,

I need advice for the following situation. I already have my immigrant visa in my passport. I currently reside in USA and I am in process of selling my apartment. My intention is to land either July or August. Before landing I’d like to go back to my home country in Europe, spend three weeks there and then land in Canada on a permanent basis. Here are my concerns.

1. I’d like to hire a moving company to transport all my belongings from USA to Canada. They will fax me the itinerary or invoice (whatever it is called) as a proof that I have all my stuff in Canada. I can use this as my “Goods to follow” list when I land from Europe. Is this scenario possible?
2. Money issue. So far I’ve failed to find a bank that can transfer my funds from USA to Canada. I am the primary applicant and I can’t go to Canada to open an account unless I land. The second option is if my wife goes to Canada and opens a bank account with the required amount of funds. Would there be any trouble since she already has the immigrant visa stamped in her passport? Would there be any problem at the border? She is on H1B visa.
3. Is there a bank that transfers funds from USA to Canada without having an account in Canada? I contacted HSBC and Citibank and they both replied that I have to have an account in Canada in order to transfer the money. I know I can show my bank statements from my USA account and then make the transfer. But I am reluctant to leave any funds in USA, because once I leave I may not be able to enter back in case there is an issue with the banks. I am on student visa.

I guess our best option if my wife goes to Canada and opens a bank account. Of course I am extremely unwilling to travel with thousands of dollars from USA to Europe and from Europe to Canada.

Has anyone experienced the same situation? Please, give us advice. All will be welcome.

Thanks

Gal
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need urgent advice, please!

Originally Posted by galinbg
Hi folks,

I need advice for the following situation. I already have my immigrant visa in my passport. I currently reside in USA and I am in process of selling my apartment. My intention is to land either July or August. Before landing I’d like to go back to my home country in Europe, spend three weeks there and then land in Canada on a permanent basis. Here are my concerns.

1. I’d like to hire a moving company to transport all my belongings from USA to Canada. They will fax me the itinerary or invoice (whatever it is called) as a proof that I have all my stuff in Canada. I can use this as my “Goods to follow” list when I land from Europe. Is this scenario possible?

No Idea...have you looked at the canada border security agency website...there is a whole section for new residents there. I suspect that goods to follow are just that, goods that follow your arrival, so it would be a bit odd for them to arrive before you. Anyway, take a look here, http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/settlers-e.html

2. Money issue. So far I’ve failed to find a bank that can transfer my funds from USA to Canada. I am the primary applicant and I can’t go to Canada to open an account unless I land. The second option is if my wife goes to Canada and opens a bank account with the required amount of funds. Would there be any trouble since she already has the immigrant visa stamped in her passport? Would there be any problem at the border? She is on H1B visa.
Why do you have to land??? Search the lifestyle area...lots of info on opening accounts in canada there. You can open an account with next to no money,and then wire transfer funds in later if you want. Any bank can do that for you. The trick is opening an account outside canada, HSBC for sure can do it,and Im pretty sure the big canadian banks have subsid branched in major US cities if you look for them. Ditch the major banks for fee free banking at the first opportunity though

3. Is there a bank that transfers funds from USA to Canada without having an account in Canada? I contacted HSBC and Citibank and they both replied that I have to have an account in Canada in order to transfer the money. I know I can show my bank statements from my USA account and then make the transfer. But I am reluctant to leave any funds in USA, because once I leave I may not be able to enter back in case there is an issue with the banks. I am on student visa.
I Dont understand why you are making this so difficult, either open a canadian account inadvance and transfer the funds, or bring it as travellers cheques or whatever. Just watch out that a canadain bank does not put a long hold on clearing the funds for "security" reasons, and remember that you have to declare anything over $10k at the border. If you are really desperate western union can wire money to an individual, but it will not be a cost effective solution to the problem

I guess our best option if my wife goes to Canada and opens a bank account. Of course I am extremely unwilling to travel with thousands of dollars from USA to Europe and from Europe to Canada.

Has anyone experienced the same situation? Please, give us advice. All will be welcome.

Thanks

Gal
There are many threads in the archive about bringing in funds and opening accounts, its not that hard to do. Use the advanced search to limit your search to canadian lifestyle or canadian immigration forums
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

galinbg is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I am talking about. Help from fellow Liverpool FC supporter.

Well my pure intention is to open an accont in Canada in advance. If I can do that all my problems are solved.

Thanks for the input.

YNWA

Great win on Sunday, by the way.

Gal
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough

Why are you so desperate? I assume you are from europe (UK), so why wouldn't you be able to come to USA and get your money, you don't need a visa. Go to canada, open an account, come to usa and do the wire transfer. Try to do it on-line. Another option you have is take some of your money, buy some stocks in USA and after a year get your earnings and teh rest of your money to canada.

MadHatters

That's what I am talking about. Help from fellow Liverpool FC supporter.

Well my pure intention is to open an accont in Canada in advance. If I can do that all my problems are solved.

Thanks for the input.

YNWA

Great win on Sunday, by the way.

Gal
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Azam Ali will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

Thanks

Gal

Calm down friend!!

I do not think it is such a big problem.

My daughter got student visa and needed to open a bank account for me to transfer funds before she reach Canada.

I did this with CIBC without any difficulty, all i done is just called them and vist their office with student authoriazation letter with passports.

The did opened my account without any problem and infact they even send me confirmation letter of funds recieved in that account for me to show to immigartion as prove of funds.

The key is you must talk to any Canadian Bank, they understand better on this kind of things are would be able to assist you.

Cheers.