Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on sacking our immigration lawyer

Wikiposts

Need some advice on sacking our immigration lawyer

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future
Default Need some advice on sacking our immigration lawyer

Anybody out there would has been through the process of sacking there immigration lawyer, it is clear that our lawyer has made mistakes on our application and this is severly delaying my process, even to the point of the CSIS are investigating me, as he clearly put wrong dates in for my travel history...

What can we do about getting our money back from him and how does CIC look at this, when we have sent a letter to them stating the fact that we have found out about these mistakes on the original application.

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:44 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice on sacking our immigration lawyer

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...complaints.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ive/faq.asp#Q6
Fill out this form
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...esentative.asp
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

No offence but, for things like travel history wouldn't it have been safer if you had filled in those dates yourself as you - the person who was traveling - should know better when you were traveling than some lawyer. Just saying.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kleinluka
No offence but, for things like travel history wouldn't it have been safer if you had filled in those dates yourself as you - the person who was traveling - should know better when you were traveling than some lawyer. Just saying.
We already had sent the correct information and he or his assistant had filled them in wrong, not double checking dates and time scales, he already advised us that there was no need to list the places i had travelled to in the original application, and cic requested the additional information which we gave to the lawyer and they filled in wrong, simple mistakes like being in 2 countries at the one time, simple but a MAJOR headache when it comes to CIC in London, as they clearly have dates that are contraditory terms....We pay an immigration lawyer to look out for mistakes like that not make them...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

What I meant was that you should have completed the forms yourself and sent your lawyer completed forms so all they would have had to do was check that everything was there and that nothing was missing. Less chance of a mistake that way as you would have been the one in control of those details. But sorry, that really sucks for you :/
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

What I meant was that you should have completed the forms yourself and sent your lawyer completed forms so all they would have had to do was check that everything was there and that nothing was missing. Less chance of a mistake that way as you would have been the one in control of those details. But sorry, that really sucks for you :/
No Shit sherlock!!!!
Thanks for the late advise, so back to my main question has anybody delt with the sacking of there lawyer, instead of people telling me what i should have done or not done!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilo71
No Shit sherlock!!!!
Thanks for the late advise, so back to my main question has anybody delt with the sacking of there lawyer, instead of people telling me what i should have done or not done!!!
First of all, there is no need to be hostile. I was just trying to save you and anyone else who might be considering use of a lawyer from further hick ups.

Secondly, what I would do right away if you haven't already done it is send an updated "Use of representative" form to the visa office, canceling the appointment of your lawyer.

As far as getting your money back I can't help you with that but Iain already pointed you in the right direction so start with that.

Last edited by kleinluka; Jun 23rd 2009 at 11:01 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

oakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to alloakefam is a name known to all

Just Wondering who your immigration Lawyer is??
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

calm down a bit, will ya? use the form suggested, its quite straightforward. Usually I would imagine once cic gets that completed form you should be ok.

Advice

No Shit sherlock!!!!

Last edited by ExcitedBrit; Jun 23rd 2009 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a hiccup with the hick ups sorry but im really bored tonight

First of all, there is no need to be hostile. I was just trying to save you and anyone else who might be considering use of a lawyer from further hick ups.

Secondly, what I would do right away if you haven't already done it is send an updated "Use of representative" form to the visa office, canceling the appointment of your lawyer.

As far as getting your money back I can't help you with that but Iain already pointed you in the right direction so start with that.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Calm down a bit...Kleinluka is a nice guy and I think you have over reacted to his post..After all, he did write "Sorry, that really sucks for you" at the end of his post
I can understand your frustration with this because we also used an immigration lawyer in Canada and whilst we filled in our own PDF forms there was some sort of update going on so a new form version came out. It turned out that one of the lawyers assistants then refilled in the new form for us. Furtunately they sent the forms back to us to check and I was pretty disgusted to find that she had got my wifes passport number wrong, along with other simple typing mistakes.
So I would always advise that anyone using a lawyer or consultant have a final check of the forms themselves. No one is as interested in making sure the information filled in is accurate as much as you are yourself.
I am not sure how you can go about getting your money back from your lawyer or even if that is possible but as others have suggested you can use the "Use of a representative" form to cancel that representative aswell so that would be the first thing to do.
I hope you get it all sorted out and its a shame that the process of using a lawyer ,which should make the process a bit easier for you, has made it more stressful.
Good luck.
Cheers
Tim

No Shit sherlock!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Anybody out there would has been through the process of sacking there immigration lawyer, it is clear that our lawyer has made mistakes on our application and this is severly delaying my process, even to the point of the CSIS are investigating me, as he clearly put wrong dates in for my travel history...
In which country is your immigration lawyer?

Very odd that CSIS would be investigating incorrect travel dates. Are you doing a special application of some sort, or do you come from a region which has recently had a lot of violence or genocide?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Immigration lawyer is a Canadaian, we are doing a spouse sponsor as my wife is canadain.....
I had asked the question on here about why i was asked to fill in an additiionla IMM5562 form and was told it was for CSIS to look at dates, i am from the United Kingdom so no not from a country with wars or anything going on....

I still think it is because our lawyer put wrong dates in for my travels, all a bit confusing now, keep getting told different stories by people about my situation.....

Coming on a year now since CIC london started my process and still no idea wether i am getting a visa or not....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:32 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

What can we do about getting our money back from him and how does CIC look at this, when we have sent a letter to them stating the fact that we have found out about these mistakes on the original application.

As for sacking an immigration lawyer or consultant there are two things you need to do:
1) write to them and inform you are terminating whatever contract you have
2) write to CIC using the Use of Representative form to Cancel the Appointment

You should have really been given the completed forms to check before they were submitted but I guess what's done is done there.

If you wanted to make a complaint then it depends who your representitive is. If they are actually a lawyer and are a member of a Canadian law society then you can complain to the law society. If there are an immigration Consultant and are a CSIC member then you can complain to the CSIC (not to be confused with CSIS byt the way!). If they are a member of neither then you have little recourse other than bringing legal action.

If you feel you deserve to be refunded what you have paid then write to your representative telling them that and it is possible that the threat of a complain to one of the regulatory bodies I mentioned will assist with your request.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
As for sacking an immigration lawyer or consultant there are two things you need to do:
1) write to them and inform you are terminating whatever contract you have
2) write to CIC using the Use of Representative form to Cancel the Appointment

You should have really been given the completed forms to check before they were submitted but I guess what's done is done there.

If you wanted to make a complaint then it depends who your representitive is. If they are actually a lawyer and are a member of a Canadian law society then you can complain to the law society. If there are an immigration Consultant and are a CSIC member then you can complain to the CSIC (not to be confused with CSIS byt the way!). If they are a member of neither then you have little recourse other than bringing legal action.

If you feel you deserve to be refunded what you have paid then write to your representative telling them that and it is possible that the threat of a complain to one of the regulatory bodies I mentioned will assist with your request.

Thanks Paul that's great advice...Thankyou so much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.